Anyone have problems with some G19 channels?

shibby191

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 7, 2007
Somewhere
Been having issues with a few channels on G19. Not all of them mind you but some. Mainly the 3 news channels (Russia Today, Al Jaz, etc) and a few of the religious channels the signal quality won't lock and bounces between 60ish and 0. But others like Safe and TBN come in solid around 60. Everything on AMC is rock solid between 70 and 95.

I have the new DVR and just manually ran the new update yesterday evening.

Just wondering if anyone else is getting this issue.

Did the new update have any effect? I am not positive (that the update made the difference) but it seemed to (I am in Michigan, BTW). If I scroll through all the Glorystar channels now, they all come in with no breakup. Not long ago, most of the G19 channels broke up too much to watch (depending on the day; some days were better than others).

Mike

No, the update has not helped. I had thought the update would fix it. I'll unplug the box and reboot it tonight and see if that helps.

The update was a fiasco for me. GLC was broadcasting in Arabic and I kept waiting for the translation which never came. I went out to a meeting, returned in time for my favorite program which is Light of the Southwest. It was five minutes til start time and still Arabic. I punched info and saw that it was the other GLC which used to really also be GLC on TP12060. I tried a single TP search and my DVR-1100c wouldn't lock on TP12177. Finally with one minute to go I tuned the LO to 10752 it locked and I went directly to a single TP scan and recovered TP12177, but GLC came in as channel 2036. I logged on the forum to complain and found that I now need to perform another OTA. Too bad GLC is no longer on TP12060 as it locks easily on my system.

Sorry, but the "fiasco" did not result from the update. GLC channel was scheduled to be shut down on the old transponder on January 1st and Glorystar receivers were updated to tune the new transponder.

The uplinker reverted the GLC channel back to the original transponder. Glorystar issued a new channel update as soon as we found out about the channel change. A new channel list is now in the OTA stream.

Your receiver will be automatically updated tomorrow evening or you can perform an "update now" in the OTA menu to force the receiver to update now.

I accept blame for not paying attention. For a considerable period of time I had both GLC locations on my favorite list and when 12177 failed to lock, or if I was setting a timer I would choose the more reliable 12060. Then one day not so long ago 12060 went Arabic and I deleted it from my favorite list. I was just asleep at the wheel and missed the fact that the update chose the wrong one, both still carried the GLC label. I forced an update (I still don't think I have ever received more than one auto-update) and all is well.

Rebooting the receiver didn't help. I'll check the dish to see if it's come out of alignment but strange that only some on G19 won't lock. But you never know!

shibby191, I am wondering if your problem is not related to my mystery problem with TP 12177? I don't often watch the three channels you mention, but noticed they are not always there so decided to take a peek this morning. Al Jaz wasn't there but the other two were . I performed the test Brian had me do with TP 12177. I went to Channel Search, selected TP 11999 (Al Jaz), selected LNF and began to detune the LO from 10750. . . when I got to 10746 I got a lock and it held down to 10741.

In the past with this test on TP 12177 it was concluded that I had a bad LO. However, I now suspect a more subtle and mysterious receiver problem as I am on the third LNBF in the G19 position and the problem is not consistent.

Thanks. Last night I made sure I had the latest OTA update from the other day (1.10 I think) and unplugged the receiver. I repeaked the dish a bit, mainly just the LNB bracket tilt as it was a little loose. Booted back up and things were a bit better but still problems on a handful of channels. Mostly on just one or two transponders. I plan to make a list of each channel and on what transponder as I think the pattern is just on a couple.

Ok, so here are my results, running latest firmware and channel list:

All channels on AMC4 come in great.
All channels on V transponders come in fine on G19 (most have quality from 50-65, a couple in the 30s).
All channels on H transponders will not lock on G19.

Problem transponders and example channels:
11874 (H) - Telepaca
11966 (H) - 107 Word, 302 CNL Russian, 303 Rodnoy, 404 Aghapy, 1000 Spirit 1 Radio
11999 (H) - 361 Cancao Nova, 900 Al Jazeera, 1101 Radio Cancao
12060 (H) - 110 Emanual, 120 GOD TV
12090 (H) - 401 ABN
12152 (H) - RT News

So is this a problem with my LNB or switch? Or is it the general issue of channels moving around? This is only a recent problem within the last 2-3 weeks or so.

New channels

hello am I supposed to be receiving some new channels from the G19? I have the older DVR model and I have to manually scan for channels? Let me know! I want to make sure I am receiving everything! Thanks1

I know this will sound ridiculous, unless it is temperature related, but I went up to retune my dish to see if I could get better reception, as many channels had lost considerable signal. Hope channel was completely gone and many others were breaking up to unwatchable. Elevation and Azmuth were still right on BUT --- Skew was off about 4 to 6 degrees and the distance to the dish was off by over 1/2 inch. I moved both LNBFs as far forward, toward the dish as far as they would go and Q came WAY up. All on the Glorystar load are solid now. I have not done a scan on my other receiver as of yet. May do a little later tonight.

hello am I supposed to be receiving some new channels from the G19? I have the older DVR model and I have to manually scan for channels? Let me know! I want to make sure I am receiving everything! Thanks1

Unless you are using the new GEOSat DVR you may want to rescan. I think about 5 channels have been added or changed in the last 75 days. GOD TV has been on then off - still appears to be off now, and the US boss does not know anything about it having bewen on!:(

Part of the adjustment is to slide the lnbs in or out in the holder, to get the best signal. Before the cold weather set in, these had been adjusted to be all the way out on one and about 1/16" in on the other. This time, adjusting one was 1/8" from the back of the mount to the rise of the lnbf (in other words from as far forward as it could go, minus 1/8") the other was 3/16" between the back of the mount and the rise. There is not a given distance, it is a focus adjustment. You do this at the same time you adjust the skew, usually. One thing I have noticed, in the multitude of times I have set up the two lnbf setup is that if the two lnbfs are not almost flat with each other, the dual bracket needs to be adjusted very slightly for the very best signal. I do not change that adjustment every time, however. If I have a good viewabe signal, I leave it because if you change that, everything else has to be readjusted.

What transponders should I scan, to get these new channels? I knew GOD-TV was off I really Like that network, I have emailed the channel and asked them to consider that they make their network availlable on a permanent basis on GloryStar. Thanks!

Ok, so here are my results, running latest firmware and channel list:

All channels on AMC4 come in great.
All channels on V transponders come in fine on G19 (most have quality from 50-65, a couple in the 30s).
All channels on H transponders will not lock on G19.

Problem transponders and example channels:
11874 (H) - Telepaca
11966 (H) - 107 Word, 302 CNL Russian, 303 Rodnoy, 404 Aghapy, 1000 Spirit 1 Radio
11999 (H) - 361 Cancao Nova, 900 Al Jazeera, 1101 Radio Cancao
12060 (H) - 110 Emanual, 120 GOD TV
12090 (H) - 401 ABN
12152 (H) - RT News

So is this a problem with my LNB or switch? Or is it the general issue of channels moving around? This is only a recent problem within the last 2-3 weeks or so.

Well, I'm guessing it's just me so I have a problem somewhere. I can't really readjust the dish since it's going to be below 5 degrees the next few days, everything is frozen solid. And my signals have been getting worse and even AMC4 is now losing signal. Perhaps the cold? I've had DirecTV LNBs that can't handle the cold. Could the Glorystar LNBs (or the switch that is outside) be effected by the cold this much? It's never been this cold since I've had the Glorystar setup.

highly unlikely its the switch. I have diseqc switches that have been outside here in MN for a couple years now and it works fine....and since Monday we havent been above zero (-23 this morning)

Verify with a voltage tester that 18VDC is present at each LNBF when a horizontal channel is selected and 13VDC for verticals.

Did you use existing coax or new cables? What is the length of the coax cable? Cable type (RG59, RG6, standard/ quad or tri shield? Continuous or barrels? Compression, crimped or screw-on fittings? Tight 90 degree corners or wide curves?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)