ANyone know how I can read my DVR formatted Ext Hard drive on my Windows XP Laptop?

fernb

Original poster
Dec 14, 2007
Hello Everyone,

I recently upgraded to a VIP622 for my DishNetwork receiver and was told I could read the External Hard Drive on other devices such as my laptop by their sales person. When I connect my drive it is seen by my software as attached but it does not see it as an actual drive nor does it see any files. If anyone knows of a program or method I can do this by I would appreciate it.

Thank You,

Fernb

It's partitioned with linux ext3 filesystem. If you don't know what that means, it's not safe to tell you. :)

:welcome to SatelliteGuys.US, fernb.

Unfortunately, the sales person fed you some bad information. Reading and Understanding are two different things. Even if you go through all the hoops necessary to extract data from the drive, all you'll have are encrypted files that you won't be able to watch on your laptop. Sorry.

It's partitioned with linux ext3 filesystem. If you don't know what that means, it's not safe to tell you. :)
Actually, I'll bet some searching at sourceforge.net will turn up more than one option for reading ext3 partitions on Windows-based machines. But as foxbat says, the files are encrypted so they won't be read-able anyway.

I would go back to the sales person and ask him or her to explain how to do it. If they can't, then ask the manager/supervisor to give you a few free goodies/channels for having either an ignorant or lying sales person. If you let it go, other customers will be hearing the same story over and over. The business should pay a price for this.

If he bought this solely for watching recorded shows later on his laptop, maybe...

Good luck getting the salesperson who said this too. And as others have discovered, salespeople can say almost anything and they're not held to it if it's not correct. They "made a mistake". If you want to get picky, his laptop can use the external drive. His DVR can also. The OP said "and was told I could read the External Hard Drive on other devices such as my laptop by their sales person" and we know what he meant but that can be interpreted in Dish's favor too.

Even if you can read the file system in XP, like it was stated the files will be encrypted....

Thank you for all the feedback. I'm able to see the files on my external drive using Nimblex. Now I just need to figure out how to convert it to Mpg or other media file.

(3) responses previously said you wouldn't be able to read it.... Did you not believe us ?

FWIW, they're already in MPEG format.

more precisely, HEMPEG format where HE means "Heavily Encrypted"

As a corollary to my previous statement, if you DO know what an ext3 filesystem is, then feel free to experiment.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts