Anyone know how to read diagnostic information from a cable box (signal quality)

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
I only have one splitter as far as I can tell between the amp and the run from the pole to my house. Why don't you want to amp the signal for the modem?

The modem doesn't really need a strong signal...just a good one. As a few others have posted already, when you amp a signal, you *also* amp up the noise level; amps generally aren't very selective on WHAT they amp up.

If it was me, I would definately get a tech out to see if there is any problems with either your drop, or at the tap (pole).

Here's the signal levels for the cable modem:

So based on the signal levels, the signal to noise ratio, etc. do you think I have a problem or did the amp seem to solve it. The tech with each time he's sent out he seems to do less and less.

GMFreak8 said:
Here's the signal levels for the cable modem:

So based on the signal levels, the signal to noise ratio, etc. do you think I have a problem or did the amp seem to solve it. The tech with each time he's sent out he seems to do less and less.

Ouch!! 18dbmv on the forward! Most DOCSIS modems are rated from -15dbmv to +15dbmv with 0 being perfect. I'm suprised yours works.

Try to give us a lay out of your cable system in your house.

digiblur said:
Ouch!! 18dbmv on the forward! Most DOCSIS modems are rated from -15dbmv to +15dbmv with 0 being perfect. I'm suprised yours works.

I can't remember when it's been below +15dbmv, even without the amp it was usually above that.

I'll try to draw up a readable diagram tomorrow. Too tired to do it tonight.

digiblur said:

I wasn't quite sure on the levels of threshhold. Been too long since I've installed for TWC or Adelphia. And isn't that the whole point of using DC-9's instead of typical 2-way splitters; to pattern and bring the levels to a comfortable point for the cable modem??????

webbydude said:
I wasn't quite sure on the levels of threshhold. Been too long since I've installed for TWC or Adelphia. And isn't that the whole point of using DC-9's instead of typical 2-way splitters; to pattern and bring the levels to a comfortable point for the cable modem??????
What the heck is a DC-9? I thought it was a plane? :eek:

Edit: Diagram to come

GMFreak8 said:
What the heck is a DC-9? I thought it was a plane? :eek:

Edit: Diagram to come

DC-9?? Testing my brain or maybe my age, eh?

They were used back in the day before we had DOCSIS here. They were basically a splitter that one leg that was isolated and sent to the cable modem. The other leg was -9db (hence the name DC-9) and went to the rest of the house for the TV service. In our area they aren't used anymore....

Now the best setup is.... Line from the tap, to a 2 way, first leg goes to the cable modem, next leg goes to TV service. The TV service leg will have a 3 way splitter, 4 way splitters, or amp(s), etc. depending on the house. That way you only get a -3.5 db drop from the tap plus the loss of the drop. In most cases this works well.

digiblur said:

They were used back in the day before we had DOCSIS here. They were basically a splitter that one leg that was isolated and sent to the cable modem. The other leg was -9db (hence the name DC-9) and went to the rest of the house for the TV service. In our area they aren't used anymore....

Now the best setup is.... Line from the tap, to a 2 way, first leg goes to the cable modem, next leg goes to TV service. The TV service leg will have a 3 way splitter, 4 way splitters, or amp(s), etc. depending on the house. That way you only get a -3.5 db drop from the tap plus the loss of the drop. In most cases this works well.

Ahh ok.

I tried drawing a diagram, but I could barely understand it myself. :eek:

I'll try to explain it in words.

The cable comes in from the pole to a grey box mounted outside my house, from there it splits using a three way splitter, one goes to my bedroom, one goes to the spare bedroom, and then the last one goes into the living room. The one coming into the living room has the amp first, then a two way splitter. From the two way splitter one feed goes to the cable modem, and the other goes to a four way splitter. From the four way splitter one feed goes to a HD DVR, one feed goes to a Standard digital cable box, one goes to a analog tv, and the last goes to another analog tv. That's the layout. Hopefully you can understand it.

Now why the hell would an installer amp a signal between splitters? What a goofy set-up.

Ideally, you need a separate run for you cable modem. This run SHOULD be split off at the "gray box" (guessing it's a housebox). If amplification is needed, then fine. Amp all the lines EXCEPT your cable modem.

Bottom line, it sounds like you need some re-wiring done. I would definately get another technician to come out. And since this is a recurring thing, I would insist on a field supervisor.

digiblur said:

Actually, you supposed to run the cable modem on the -9 dBm side. The cable modem doesn't really need a strong signal...just a clean signal. The other side of the splitter is supposed to not have any signal strength taken away. In a perfect world it decreases for the modem...doesn't decrease for the rest of the video outlets in the home.

webbydude said:
Actually, you supposed to run the cable modem on the -9 dBm side. The cable modem doesn't really need a strong signal...just a clean signal. The other side of the splitter is supposed to not have any signal strength taken away. In a perfect world it decreases for the modem...doesn't decrease for the rest of the video outlets in the home.

Ahh... it's been so long since we had those. Hell I don't even seem them anymore since they've all been removed.

GMFreak8 said:
Ahh ok.

I tried drawing a diagram, but I could barely understand it myself. :eek:

I'll try to explain it in words.

The cable comes in from the pole to a grey box mounted outside my house, from there it splits using a three way splitter, one goes to my bedroom, one goes to the spare bedroom, and then the last one goes into the living room. The one coming into the living room has the amp first, then a two way splitter. From the two way splitter one feed goes to the cable modem, and the other goes to a four way splitter. From the four way splitter one feed goes to a HD DVR, one feed goes to a Standard digital cable box, one goes to a analog tv, and the last goes to another analog tv. That's the layout. Hopefully you can understand it.

Wow!! No wonder you have problems... 7 drops.... just like I have at my house. This is my setup:

The only thing you don't see is the 2 way off of one of the -3.5db legs that is behind the living room TV: One for the HDTV QAM tuner and one for the MyHD PCI QAM tuner card.

Notice the difference in cable signals??

Frequency 705000000 Hz Locked
Signal to Noise Ratio 40 dB
Power Level 1 dBmV

Channel ID 4
Frequency 25008000 Hz Ranged
Power Level 39 dBmV

Time Warner really pisses me off. I actually have a card from a Time Warner technical supervisor that came out when I was having major problems. I wonder if I should just call his number directly and set something up. I mean, I'm not having major signal dropouts and the speed on the cable modem is decent, but there is some artifacts on the HD channels that I just can't seem to get rid of. Digiblur, did you do that setup or did Time Warner come out and set that up? Your signals are like night and day compared to mine. The analog stations are fairly fuzzy too, some so bad that it's worse than an OTA antenna. I guess I should get after them, I'll probably wait until the end of summer though, I'm fairly busy through August.

BTW, do you know how to get into the grey box on the outside of my house, so I can make sure what type of connections are in there? I can't seem to get it opened. Also, some of the wiring in this house is from the early 60s, that should probably be replaced too, right? I have a picture of the box on page 2 or 3.

GMFreak8 said:
Time Warner really pisses me off. I actually have a card from a Time Warner technical supervisor that came out when I was having major problems. I wonder if I should just call his number directly and set something up. I mean, I'm not having major signal dropouts and the speed on the cable modem is decent, but there is some artifacts on the HD channels that I just can't seem to get rid of. Digiblur, did you do that setup or did Time Warner come out and set that up? Your signals are like night and day compared to mine. The analog stations are fairly fuzzy too, some so bad that it's worse than an OTA antenna. I guess I should get after them, I'll probably wait until the end of summer though, I'm fairly busy through August.

BTW, do you know how to get into the grey box on the outside of my house, so I can make sure what type of connections are in there? I can't seem to get it opened. Also, some of the wiring in this house is from the early 60s, that should probably be replaced too, right? I have a picture of the box on page 2 or 3.

It's all done myself... I was showing you the best setup I've found for 7 drops.

Code:
                      TAP
                      2WAY
       Cable Modem             Amp
                               2WAY
                            3WAY      3WAY

digiblur said:
Wow!! No wonder you have problems... 7 drops.... just like I have at my house. This is my setup:

The only thing you don't see is the 2 way off of one of the -3.5db legs that is behind the living room TV: One for the HDTV QAM tuner and one for the MyHD PCI QAM tuner card.

Notice the difference in cable signals??

Frequency 705000000 Hz Locked
Signal to Noise Ratio 40 dB
Power Level 1 dBmV

Channel ID 4
Frequency 25008000 Hz Ranged
Power Level 39 dBmV

Now that's a thing of beauty! Definately slide-show material for any installer...beginner or advanced. And yes, that's kind of what I was trying to describe to GMFreak; amp out your signal AFTER you split to your cable modem. At the same time, keep your modem on the 1st splitter.

webbydude said:
Now that's a thing of beauty! Definately slide-show material for any installer...beginner or advanced. And yes, that's kind of what I was trying to describe to GMFreak; amp out your signal AFTER you split to your cable modem. At the same time, keep your modem on the 1st splitter.

Thanks.. if I had to do another one I would have drilled the holes farther out as I ended up pull out the tap one as it was bent too much at an angle.

Here's another one in progress... I'll see if I can get the finished pics for you one day:

And yes...it's a home. ;)

digiblur, what on earth is that setup? if i left a service call with something like that, i would lose my job. TWC policy is to homerun all lines to 1 splitter. the only exception to that rule is if it is literaly impossible to do such. cascading splitters could be the cause of all kinds of hsd problems. i would like some more detail of your setup, because if it gives you no problems, i am gonna set mine up like that.

GMfreak, your problems are more than likely to be related to having too many splitters. it sounds like you have a few of them between point a and b. you should call that supervisor. he will square you away. if you call customer service, dont waste your time asking for anything special because most of those idiots will do anything to end that call. they will go to the extent of saying they will send a sup or a lead, but end up sending a regular tech. I work for TWC Milwaukee and have on more than one occasion been given a workorder where it said in the

comments "please send lead or supervisor". Dont get me wrong, TWC is a great company, but the installers and service techs are poorly compensated, and sometimes work is contracted out to the s%^&bag contract companies. in my opinion you do need a total rewire of your place. call that supervisor and set aside a whole day to have it done because if it was me that came out there for a service call, i would have cancelled my whole day just for you.

I am going to start a new discussion in this group since i see so many bad experiances in this thread alone

cable-guy said:
digiblur, what on earth is that setup? if i left a service call with something like that, i would lose my job. TWC policy is to homerun all lines to 1 splitter. the only exception to that rule is if it is literaly impossible to do such. cascading splitters could be the cause of all kinds of hsd problems. i would like some more detail of your setup, because if it gives you no problems, i am gonna set mine up like that.

Which setup? The one with 17 drops on one side and 5 on the other? Or the amp setup?

The amp setup is for my home. If you read the labels you will see the cable modem is split off of the line before it hits the amp. This is done for better signal reasons and if the power goes out I won't lose my VoIP setup as I would also have to have the amp on a battery backup too.

Nothing wrong with cascading splitters as long as you understand what you are doing during each split and have enough signal to split.

digiblur said:
Thanks.. if I had to do another one I would have drilled the holes farther out as I ended up pull out the tap one as it was bent too much at an angle.

Here's another one in progress... I'll see if I can get the finished pics for you one day:

And yes...it's a home. ;)

Finished up the break out board at the same friends house. The drops on the left are the inside drops and ones on the right are external drops. There are also 18 CAT5 drops for phone and network. The little punch down block is fed one POTS line and the 7 other CAT5's are lit up with dialtone, you simply plug in the CAT5 to jack you want to light up with dial tone. Also wired up an A/C outlet for future use.

And no, I don't do this work as a day job. ;) Just side jobs.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)