Generic cable/No box/recording

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

KLM*

Original poster
Aug 17, 2022
Ocala, fl
I also have a generic cable co. thru the park. Does not supply a box, or remote or quide. Would like advice on equipment, I need to record my shows, how to get channel guide. A side note: the cable the park provides is thru dish (a generic version). I had dish for a long time but just became to expensive so I had to switch, and I can't get ((all)) my channels (abc, cbs, abc) with streaming without paying as much as I did with dish. Any help greatly appreciated.

I also have a generic cable co. thru the park. Does not supply a box, or remote or quide. Would like advice on equipment, I need to record my shows, how to get channel guide. A side note: the cable the park provides is thru dish (a generic version). I had dish for a long time but just became to expensive so I had to switch, and I can't get ((all)) my channels (abc, cbs, abc) with streaming without paying as much as I did with dish. Any help greatly appreciated.
A friend of mine condo association did the same thing. He used an iView box to record programs. It is a really crude solution, like an vcr, but it was okay. You could also try an older (Series 3 or Series 4) Tivo with a lifetime sub that can record clear qam without a cable card. I don't have any idea if Tivo would have guide service though.

I have an HDHomerun Extend I've used for a few years. Kind of outdated but works very well.
Check this out:

And I just pondered across this to see if I could save a few bucks. Might try it later on.:

Oh. And maybe this too.:

The guide data, should it exist, is likely going to come in the form of PSIP information included with the channels. You'll typically get between two and ten days of info. If you have a fairly modern TV, you should be able to figure out what PSIP data is available (or not) by tapping the Guide button on your TV's remote.

Avoid solutions like TiVo or Tablo as they use big guide companies that typically don't collect information from CATV systems.

As Mochuf suggests, I'd start with something like the iView or Mediasonic tuner boxes in combination with an external USB drive. They're about $27 to $35 on Amazon for the tuner.

If PSIP data isn't available, you need to make sure that your tuner box provides for "manual" recordings so I would check for PSIP data first thing.

Reactions: arlo
As harshness says. Without Program System Information Protocol data in the broadcast. TV guide will be needed.
A box with recording capabilities and external storage could be done.
If you have the Internet bandwidth you could get the big 3 networks and tons more.
Plutotv, Peacock and a streaming box. Free or a small monthly.
The trend of ISP's going cable box-free in favor of Firestick, Roku devices is a reality.
I get it that you're on a budget. I haven't subbed to any TV service in 10 years at least.
Can you get TV channels by connecting the park cable to your TV and scanning for channels? Are they charging you for it?
Guide data, recording capabilities. Perhaps not plug and play.
Mediaportal and Silicondust (HDHomerun) boxes do work well.
An add-on for it is Media-Buddy. It allows you to name generic cable channels displayed on the TV as 23-1, 49-1 with channel naming and guides with information pulled from the TV Guide and others websites.
Definitely not plug and play.
For a few years my ISP "perk" was being able to get 70 or so channels on the coax for free.
Channels had a dedicated channel for a scrolling guide. Naming was as above. 49-1, etc.
Nothing jibed because channel ~14 could have been 23-1. And they changed assignments around.
Their cable boxes would program correctly. The free aspect had channels switching around randomly.
Nothing will be plug and play in your park most probably unless they have a mini headend. My condo complex in Fl had one. No dishes were allowed. And Time Warner hadn't run their cable yet. You got a bill and a photo copied channel guide.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 4)

Latest posts