Anyone know how to read diagnostic information from a cable box (signal quality)

Wow, you guys are amazing. Digiblur, how large is that house? :shock:

I will call that supervisor and see if I can get my house completely rewired. I'm still having trouble with the HD channels. I definitely want my cable modem unamped now, especially considering the amp is not on backup power, and I do have VOIP at my house which is my primary phone line. I need that up and running even with a power outage. I'm not touching it, I'm having them come out and redo everything. I called the supervisor once before when I had an outage and he was an absolute a$$hole on the phone, like he didn't have enough time for me. Thanks for the help, and the pointers, I truly appreciate it.

Most of your orignal and follow up questions have been answered, but fwiw, SA STBs want to see between +0dBvM and -8dBvM. When you go to -9dBvM as your original picture showed, the figure changes to yellow/orange. It goes Red at -10dBvM.

You are now at +5dBvM. SA boxes do not like more than +0dBvM. It's now too hot.

You should also go through the QAM channels and note the signal at the different frequencies as the line might need balancing.

Your signal to noise should be between 32 and 37 (and it won't stay at 37 long if you ever see it).

Last edited:
HDTVFanAtic said:
Most of your orignal and follow up questions have been answered, but fwiw, SA STBs want to see between +0dBvM and -8dBvM. When you go to -9dBvM as your original picture showed, the figure changes to yellow/orange. It goes Red at -10dBvM.

You are now at +5dBvM. SA boxes do not like more than +0dBvM. It's now too hot.

You should also go through the QAM channels and note the signal at the different frequencies as the line might need balancing.

Your signal to noise should be between 32 and 37 (and it won't stay at 37 long if you ever see it).
Thanks for the information. You guys have definitely been a big help in helping me to understand what the signal should be like. When I have enough free time, and I'm not so busy (which should be the end of summer), I'll call the technical supervisor and see if I can't drag them out here to rewire the house. They'll probably get upset and say that nothing needs to happen, but I now know that's Bullsh!t. They probably aren't used to a customer that cares this much about the signal quality, and they probably think they can blow me off. Wrong.

TVdiag002.jpg

This is what my diagnostic page looks like. Can someone help me interpret it?

OK, guys, I'm going to be calling up tomorrow to get them out here. Any final advice? :)

Also can anyone tell me what the ideal signal levels should be, what the ideal power levels should be, and what the ideal signal to noise ratio should be?

Last edited:
LOL guys your signal is not BAD you wouldn't get picture if it was bad or box wouldn't come on your in SAFE area thats why the TECH didn't replace anything I get customers every day trying to say there signal is "yellow" this just means its little off from PERFECT and still functioning the only reason you would get 100% green is from replacing all your lines to the tv and directly connect it to the DROP with new ground block there could be multiple scenarios making you lose dbmv usually its splitters because of multiple outlets that go into your attic or wrapped around your house... I cannot stress enough unless your losing PICTURE or BAD RECEPTION it is FINE only then would a tech come out and replace all the lines.... Another scenario he might have put a amp is you may live in a condo or apartment where you cannot just REPLACE THE DROP from the pole you need permission from condo owner or apartment owner

Down Stream Power (-15dbmV to +15dbmV)
Most modems are rated from -15dB to +15dB, however it's best to have it between +8dB and -8dB. Anything less or more than that and you may have quality issues. You can remove splitters on the line if you need to raise and clean up your signal level a bit. You can also use a tap (directional coupler) to get a cleaner signal to the cable modem odem instead of a splitter.

Upstream Power (37dbmV to 55dbmV)
The lower this number is, the better. Above 55dB will most likely cause problems, over 57dB and you probably won't be able to connect. Ideally between 42 and 50dB. Lower than 42 may start introducing some packet loss especially if you have much noise on the line). If you hit 58 the modem will likely drop the connection and resync.

LOL guys your signal is not BAD you wouldn't get picture if it was bad or box wouldn't come on your in SAFE area thats why the TECH didn't replace anything I get customers every day trying to say there signal is "yellow" this just means its little off from PERFECT and still functioning the only reason you would get 100% green is from replacing all your lines to the tv and directly connect it to the DROP with new ground block there could be multiple scenarios making you lose dbmv usually its splitters because of multiple outlets that go into your attic or wrapped around your house... I cannot stress enough unless your losing PICTURE or BAD RECEPTION it is FINE only then would a tech come out and replace all the lines.... Another scenario he might have put a amp is you may live in a condo or apartment where you cannot just REPLACE THE DROP from the pole you need permission from condo owner or apartment owner
:welcome to SatelliteGuys. However, you have replied to a thread that is ten years old.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts