Status
Not open for further replies.

rockymtnhigh

Hardly Normal
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Apr 14, 2006
Normal, IL
** NO SPOILERS - so feel free to read ahead *** :)

Curious if anyone is reading Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows? My son and I got it last night at midnight, and I read 50 pages or so before I went to bed. It is now 10pm, and I just finished the book. I am a fast fiction reader, but never have read that much in one day.

It was a hell of a book. I am still processing my emotions after finishing it. Its kind of amazing how much you can get drawn into a book like this.

PLEASE If you want to discuss specifics of the book, please use the SPOILER tags, just put the words spoiler inside a set of brackets - [ ] - and then at the end use [ /spoiler ]

One of the reasons I read it so quickly was so I could enjoy the ending on my own.

Yup I finished it around four hours ago as I read it slow and wanted to take everything in. I started reading it at about 9am Saturday morning. I also quite enjoyed it and it was much more action packed than I thought it would be. Also the ending was what I thought it would be but also not what I thought it would be if you know what I mean.

Also these books in the eyes of so many people are children's books and they pick on adults for reading them while they haven't even looked at the books. Besides the first two books which could very well be considered a children's book the rest of the books IMO have very critical "adult" themes. I would even go as far as saying that most children below the age of 14 (maybe even 15) "will not" fully grasp the last two books. They are very complex that most preteens don't understand many of the ideas and plot details of the last two books.

IMO I just think its funny hearing some say they are kids books when I'm looking at tons of 9-12 year olds at Barnes and Noble who most likely won't even understand half of what goes on in the last book. They will need to read it again when they are 15 or 16 years old to fill the gaps of what they didn't understand the first time. Sorry but IMO its not really a children's book when most children don't understand all of the book.

Yup I finished it around four hours ago as I read it slow and wanted to take everything in. I started reading it at about 9am Saturday morning. I also quite enjoyed it and it was much more action packed than I thought it would be. Also the ending was what I thought it would be but also not what I thought it would be if you know what I mean.

Also these books in the eyes of so many people are children's books and they pick on adults for reading them while they haven't even looked at the books. Besides the first two books which could very well be considered a children's book the rest of the books IMO have very critical "adult" themes. I would even go as far as saying that most children below the age of 14 (maybe even 15) "will not" fully grasp the last two books. They are very complex that most preteens don't understand many of the ideas and plot details of the last two books.

IMO I just think its funny hearing some say they are kids books when I'm looking at tons of 9-12 year olds at Barnes and Noble who most likely won't even understand half of what goes on in the last book. They will need to read it again when they are 15 or 16 years old to fill the gaps of what they didn't understand the first time. Sorry but IMO its not really a children's book when most children don't understand all of the book.

I agree with you fully. It truly stopped being a kid's book with Prizoner of Azkaban. And the plot was rich; I definitely want to re-read it at a more leisurely pace to kind of take it all in.

A local Radio person says his wife has been reading it and discovered there are around 30 pages missing (at least in the numerical page numbering) somewhere in the 700's. He was wondering (asking) if anyone else has seen this, that maybe it could mean a misprint and could be worth something? I don't care myself and I'm just repeating something that I really wasn't paying attention to. I don't intend to comment any further on something I don't really know anything about. Just thought some of you might be interested?

Al

Just started reading it... I'm a slow reader and know it's going to take a while. I started reading the books to my son when he was too young to read them on his own, and realized that they are fantastic literature. Extremely well-written with great character development and a consistent universe throughout (no contradictions).

A local Radio person says his wife has been reading it and discovered there are around 30 pages missing (at least in the numerical page numbering) somewhere in the 700's. He was wondering (asking) if anyone else has seen this, that maybe it could mean a misprint and could be worth something? I don't care myself and I'm just repeating something that I really wasn't paying attention to. I don't intend to comment any further on something I don't really know anything about. Just thought some of you might be interested?

Al

All of the pages in the 700s are numered consecutively in my copy. All 759 pages! :)

My wife and I bought 2 copies on Saturday. Our oldest daughter is in Kenya for another year. She and her fellow Peace Corps workers will be passing around copies, so she will get to read before she comes home in a year, but when she gets home she will want her own copy. In the meantime, we didn't have to wait for the other person to finish so we could read it. Great book. Interesting Bible quotes on the tombstones.

I was on a plane thursdsay flying to salt lake, started reading when i sat down. When i looked up the whole of my row, bar 1, was reading the book- pretty funny, the attendant said - " oh this is the harry potter book club row":D

Just finished it, wifes reading it also - jut gotta love teasing about what happens, of course you dont have to say anything of ny consequence, just have to say "wow" occasioanlly and then say " oh sorry" ! :dev

I was on a plane thursdsay flying to salt lake, started reading when i sat down. When i looked up the whole of my row, bar 1, was reading the book- pretty funny, the attendant said - " oh this is the harry potter book club row":D

Just finished it, wifes reading it also - jut gotta love teasing about what happens, of course you dont have to say anything of ny consequence, just have to say "wow" occasioanlly and then say " oh sorry" ! :dev
When I was reading it I was about a hundred pages ahead of my wife. I would just go, "Hmmm" and she would get upset. :D

I read the book so fast last weekend that I am now listening to the audiobook, to soak it in one more time at a more leisurely pace - or I should say at Jim Dale's pace :)

Just as good the second time. This is one of those series I'll go back to again and again I am sure, but there will sadly never be the same anticipation of wondering what will come next.

Maybe JK will have a change of heart in a few years, and decide she isn't done with Harry Potter yet. ;) (I know, not likely, but you can always hope!)

She has said there will not be another novel, but at some future date there will be an "encyclopedia" which will fill in background material on many of the characters, as well as fill in what happened in the 19 year interval.

She has said there will not be another novel, but at some future date there will be an "encyclopedia" which will fill in background material on many of the characters, as well as fill in what happened in the 19 year interval.

The encylcopedia will be cool; still its always difficult to have a favorite book series end. :)

And this series is particularly important to me, particularly as I watch my 9 year old really discover reading fiction with it. He is still on book six, and keeps asking me questions about seven (which I refuse to answer - telling him to find out for himself). :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)