Anyone still miss VOOM?

I enjoyed the VOOM channels but do not miss them that much. We have such a better selection of HD now. I do miss RAVE I suppose. All I can remember from the VOOM channels was after about 2 weeks I had already seen all of their content. We have a display that I kept the VOOM channels on all the time because at the time they were the only 24/7 HD channels. I think I saw about every program they offered and then repeated it. I liked what they had to offer but never came up with anything new.

I don't blame Dish one bit for doing what they did. VOOM messed up.

Cutting thru some of the mumbo jumbo that has been written here about the benevolent Dish Network/Echostar saving our souls, I looked up Voom on the Wiki. Here is what I found including more mumbo jumbo: Voom HD Networks - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I did not mind paying extra for Voom in the day, but I guess certain powers-to-be did not like the deal for the channels, but had lust in their hearts for the satellite, or at least that's what I am taking from the Wiki article. If I am mistaken, please correct me. All I know I loved several Voom channels and watched them regularly and one day they were all gone. As far as beating a dead dog, I am sorry if others have commented about Voom previously, but I was not a member of this forum in 2008.

If I remember correctly Echostar bought the satellite (and uplink center) when VOOM ceased to exist as a standalone satellite service not when they ceased carriage of some of the VOOM channels. Is my recollection incorrect?

BTW I miss Animania, Monsters and RAVE but I always had serious doubts about whether the service would last once there were alarge number of HD channels out there.

Last edited:
I watched their gaming channel the most. Though it was hard finding current content as it seemed like they made very little new programming every month, I really don't miss it. GameTrailers.TV on Spike and X-play are enough for me.

If you want to talk TRUTH you should at least get the facts correct.

DISH wanted to keep VOOM, but after DISH pruned the channels with low viewership VOOM demanded that they return all 15 channels of drop them all.

DISH then dropped them all.

If VOOM didn't do this they would still be on DISH today. You don't give Charlie and ultimatium.
Except it was Charlie who issued the ultimatum when he told VOOM he was going to terminate the the 15-year Affiliation Agreement he signed. Additionally, VOOM could not accept Charlie's ultimatum (pennies on the dollar) because executives had a fiduciary responsibility to maximize shareholder wealth by enforcing the existing Affiliation Agreement.

Charlie: "I know we signed a 15-year contract for the VOOM HD package at the rate of $4-$6 per every Dish HD customer, but we're going to terminate the affiliation agreement, legally or illegally, if you don't agree to Tier VOOM HD and/or provide us with fewer channels. We will gladly pay you 10 cents per each and every VOOM HD subscriber."

Dolan: "I don't think so. We'll stick to the terms & conditions of our affiliation agreement - thank you. Please honor the contract you signed with us."

Charlie: "I hate ultimatums...I don't roll that way! Winning!" :rolleyes:

Again, VOOM issued no ultimatum other than stating they wished to comply with the original Affiliation Agreement they penned with EchoStar. It was Charlie who threated to remove and terminate the agreement if he didn't get a better deal.

However, you're 100% correct in this matter assuming VOOM failed to meet the agreement's annual spend requirement. Of course, this matter (spend requirement) is being disputed by both parties and, according to Judge Lowe, this matter will ultimately be evaluated by a Jury...along with every artifact of VOOM's extrinsic evidence. In a nutshell, Judge Lowe stated the contract was ambiguous and practically telegraphed that he would have ordered summary judgment in favor of VOOM if the court were permitted to consider extrinsic evidence during a motion for summary judgment. The court was not given this authority.

According to Judge Lowe, if the contract (i.e., Affilition Agreement) were clear and unamiguous, the court would give effect to the plain-meaning of the contract's terms and provisions, and extrinsic evidence would not be considered to interpret the provisions of the contract. However, since there were "ambiguities in the contract" (as noted by Judge Lowe) the court may look to collateral circumstances during trail. Accordingly, Judge Lowe has permitted almost every shred of VOOM's extrinsic to be considered during the jury trial. Good luck to EchoStar refuting the hundreds of artifacts clearly defining "The Service" and the accounting methods used.

As I mentioned before...both parties are culpable - E* signed a bad deal, and V* decided to bleed them dry (not very nice of a business partner). This entire case is not a "money-grab" and deciding who was more right than wrong. In a nutshell:

• If V* met the spend requirement then E* is going to pay hundreds of millions after exhausing all appeals.
  • If V* did not meet the spend then they'll have to pay E*'s legal costs and a few extra bucks in penalties.
  • Illegally terminating the Affiliation Agreement with VOOM will save E* money in the long-run.
  • VOOM is gone and CableVision will only pad their coffers should they win this case.

That's the way I see it. :)

Last edited:
Interesting if Voom or certain Voom channels we love so much at least would surface
as a Roku like channels.
Streaming HD channels Via a Roku like device or Roku itself.
Id pay for that in a heartbeat.

I loved Rush HD, and Rave HD as well as I watched several other Voom Channels. The problem was the content on those channels was replayed ad-naseum. I have seen some of the Rainbow Media content pop up on Discovery HD theater from time to time. The Picture quality on the Voom Channels was stunning, though
I don't understand the point at all when people make this complaint. Look at the current schedule for just about ANY of the channels anywhere and you will see the exact same thing. Ad-nauseum was not invented by, nor exclusive to Voom, and is still in heavy use.

In a nutshell, Judge Lowe stated the contract was ambiguous and practically telegraphed that he would have ordered summary judgment in favor of VOOM if the court were permitted to consider extrinsic evidence during a motion for summary judgment. The court was not given this authority.

Care to show me where this was "practically telegraphed"?

I don't understand the point at all when people make this complaint. Look at the current schedule for just about ANY of the channels anywhere and you will see the exact same thing. Ad-nauseum was not invented by, nor exclusive to Voom, and is still in heavy use.

While most channels replay shows ad-nauseum, at least there are enough different that there are weeks between daily reruns.

Voom was guilty of running the same repeating schedule, but also running shows where there were all of 10-40 episodes. One or two season worth. For instance, I remember watching Family Room. They always had the Thunderbirds, of which there were only 32 episodes. UFO had 26 episodes. Most shows need 80+ episodes before they were shown in syndication. Their original programing was just as bad. Seems they stopped production after the Dish deal, and we were stuck with the same stuff from the original DBS days.

Movie channels were worse. I remember them playing the same 2 movies all day, and then seeing them repeat a week or two later.

I liked Voom, but mostly because it was the only HD back in the day. I could still go for some Equator programming. But now, I don't care.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)