Anyone successfully manage to get the new HD standalone pkg?

tdigden

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Dec 16, 2003
Has anyone sucessfully got just the new HD stand alone pkg that including the recent MPEG4 receiver only additions? From what I've read in the various threads there should be a HD standalone pkg that $30 + fees. I've called twice now, about a month apart inquiring about it the CSRs have no clue.

There are a few here that have it but by the time Dish adds all of the fees, you might as well get the HD Bronze package. If you go to your Dish account online, it's listed under HD programming. It's obvious that Dish doesn't want people to only get HD. You can get it if you own your receiver but you might as well bend over first.

I had the old HD Package - then went to the $30 package.

The CSRs cannot do it for some reason without a metal package.

I went to techsupport and they did it.

Go figure.

So what is your monthly charge?

It should be at least $36/month: $30 standalone HD package plus $6 enabling fee. There has been some speculation that it would include another $6/month charge, for a total of $42/month.

As the HD Bronze package is $50/month, most would opt for it as you get AT60 for an extra $8/month.

HDTVFanAtic said:
I had the old HD Package - then went to the $30 package.

The CSRs cannot do it for some reason without a metal package.

I went to techsupport and they did it.

Go figure.

Did you purchase a 622 or are you using a 211?

CDH.

Ten different call centers, if your not getting any where, tell them your going to hang up & try for somebody who knows what your talking about.

Cost of Bronze with 622

$50 + $5 locals + $6 DVR fee = $61

Cost of Stand alone HD Pack with 622:

$30 + $6 locals ($1 extra cuz it isn't qualified) + $6 "access fee" (cuz it isn't qualified) + $6 DVR Fee = $48

Difference = $13/mo.

If you have a 211, I think you get the EPG for free like the 811 (although I'm not sure). So, you don't need locals, and the difference is $50 - $36 = $14/mo.

In the not-too-distant future I believe there will a point at which HDTV and SD channels will sold together in the same package. As soon as there are enough HD versions of existing SD channels there will be a tipping point where it won't be worth it for them to carry both.

Maybe we can convince Charlie to carry full-resolution 480p versions of popular SD channels in the HD tier now! If he could do that I would DEFINATELY jump on one of the new HD packs. Sure it wouldn't be true HD, but it would be a whole lot better than what they are putting out now. As HD versions become available they could replace the high-resolution SD feeds.

IT seems that if you lease the 622, HDbronze is the lowest package you can subscribe to, but if you purchase the 622, you can get the Standalone HD pack.

HD Pak Stand Alone

I went thru 3 departments. Initial call, Tech Support, and another (can't recall).
Just insist to be forwarded. First two, could't find any subject name.

$30 a month plus required $6 fee. I call the extra monthly $6 a buy down fee,
to be passed from taking the AT60 at $49.
Must have bought your HD unit yourself, to be entitled.
$36 a month versus the minimum $49 a month.

I wasn't pushed to buy locals. Perhaps they know the 211 has no PSIP Guide & Info. I asked about the HD Events, they have no details.

Plan on spending some time on the phone. Took me around 2 hours, taking the
2 groups of vital info, loading prgoram info, plus being disconnected. Lot of going back & forth to ask the Super. I called late at nite when they were slower.
Had all Females. All were pleaseant & knowledgable.
Day shift has a lot of employees with no personality, who only talk by reading their scripted cards.

Now I'm close to being a cancel.
129 had been fine for me since day one, using a dish 300.
Sat stregnth 91 Hi, 65 Low. But my Birdog meter has always averaged 85% to 45%, depending on the time of day (all other postions are 100%, except 105 80%). The ird signals remained consisitantly the same.
Now I have lost every 129 transponder, Birdog meter is 15% to 60%.
I no showed, my entire afternoon. Switched out all RG6, swapping lines, connecters, trying different mounting locations, I did it all thinking I was the stupid one.

129 has definetly suffered some major failure.

I have been on the phone with DISH for the last 2 hours trying to get info about the HD stand alone package....Dealing with these idiots is just a complete joke..Ive talked to CSR's, customer retention, and tech support, for a grand total of 6 different inquiries..They absolutely refuse to acknowledge there is a Stand Alone HD package...

If you already have an account with E*, log into their web site from the home page, on the left side of the page, click on "HD Programming." You will see the...wait a second :eek:...there used to be an HD Standalone package listed at the bottom. It's not there anymore for me. Anybody else?

Maybe it's gone because I'm currently subscribed to it? I don't know. :confused: It used to be an option.

I can confirm, however, that you must BUY the 622 to get the HD Standalone pack and you must have completed a full contract. Basically, it's not an option for new subscribers. You must have completed a full contract having a base pack.

It's still there:

DishHD (HD Stand Alone Pack)
DISH Network introduces the best in high definition programming-DishHD. DishHD packages combine your favorite standard definition programming with the best variety of high definition programming, including sports, movies, family entertainment, news and variety. Plus in select markets get your local channels in high definition!
$29.99

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)