Anyone Using a USB Hub on Hopper

hojni

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Nov 30, 2003
I currently have two EHDs plugged into my Hopper, so both rear USB ports are in use. I want to plug in the Slingbox as well, but don't want to expose the wires by using the front USB port. Has anybody had luck using a USB hub with the Hopper. If so, which make and model?

Yup, i'm using one for similar reasons (EHD, wi-fi dongle, and sling adapter but didn't want to make things ugly by having things plugged into the front). Not sure the model i used... i just picked up the cheapest one i could find and it worked fine. I even have one slot free for when the OTA adapter becomes available! The other interesting in thing is that, even though Dish says that the EHD must have external power, mine works with and w/o external power (if the USB source can power it) just fine on my Hopper...

If you get a powered USB hub, does the EHD still need to have external power?

seems like it would be kind of redundant if at least one is powered. I'm assuming the powered USB hub would take the load off the hopper itself.

Yes.

@ MyDISH Upgrades | Products | Expand DVR Storage - MyDISH Customer Support plainly states: The external hard drive must have its own power supply.
yes, but i doubt they made that rule with USB powered hubs in mind. They'll probably always assume you are direct connecting to be on the safe side.

Neither my USB hub nor my EHD have their own power supply, and both work perfectly....

I think the idea is that it puts less strain on the Hopper to have independent power. Especially with so many devices connected. Not really a question of what works....

Changing from the VIP722K to the Hopper, I had just a few recordings to transfer. I had a 80GB 2.25" drive is a case. I used a powered USB Hub to power the drive and both the &22K and the Hopper had no problem writing and reading the drive.

yes, but i doubt they made that rule with USB powered hubs in mind. They'll probably always assume you are direct connecting to be on the safe side.

What's supported and what actually works is often different. Dish's published requirements are definitely on the conservative side - and I can't blame them for it. Non-powered hubs almost always seem to work. Non-powered drives not as much.

There has been a lot of discussion on externally powered vs usb powered drive and the only real answer is it depends. With a powered hub, it seems to usually work, but I think some of the notebook type drives seem to power down too deeply and don't want to wake up.

USB powered drives connected directly to the receiver have been a lot more hit or miss. Seems to depend a lot on the drive's power requirements and even which revision of the receiver it's connected to. Some drives are recognized, but don't seem to get enough power to actually spin up and do anything.

Personally I would prefer putting the load on the hub's power supply than the receiver's.

Of course all this experience in the forums has been for 622/722/722k. Hopper may have better (or worse) results in general.

Bottom line, if you're purchasing a drive and can't return it, get a powered one to be safe. If you have a drive to experiment with, then try it out, but remember you won't get much help if it doesn't work.

Bottom line, if you're purchasing a drive and can't return it, get a powered one to be safe. If you have a drive to experiment with, then try it out, but remember you won't get much help if it doesn't work.

Which was exactly my situation. I had a spare EHD that didn't require external power sitting around and i thought it would be worth trying. It works (for now). Are you guys suggesting that it might crap out or kill my hopper?

Which was exactly my situation. I had a spare EHD that didn't require external power sitting around and i thought it would be worth trying. It works (for now). Are you guys suggesting that it might crap out or kill my hopper?
They are saying take the load off the receiver's power by using a powered hub.

I doubt it, but I'm sort of a belt and suspenders type of guy. A little less load on the Hopper power supply means a little less heat, probably the receivers worse enemy, but the draw while idle is minimal. $12 for a powered hub and you don't have to worry about it.

Neither my USB hub nor my EHD have their own power supply, and both work perfectly....

But for how long?

Yes. A larger load than planned on will strain a power supply and one day it might just push up daisies.

Yes this has been discussed before (about USB-powered HDDs with powered hubs) and the conclusion was that it will work. Just to be on the safe side, don't try to use a USB-powered HDD with a non-powered hub or direct connect. Always use a powered USB hub or get a self-powered HDD.

EDIT: Here was the last discussion on the matter: http://www.satelliteguys.us/dish-technical-discussions/266981-usb-powered-ehd-722k.html

Hopper wasn't out at that point but it's no different when it comes to this matter.

Ok if you can now get 2 or more EHDs to connect to a hopper via a USB hub, what functionality do you get?
1. Can you name each EHD?
2 Can you chose which EHD to transfer a stored program to using both the Hopper and Joey?
3 Can you chose which EHD to play a program from using both the Hopper and Joey?
4 Does the Hopper/Joey system allow more file naming and control on the EHDs?
5 Can you transfer whole files between EHD and internal HD?
6 Can you transfer from EHD to EHD without using the internal HD?

1. No. They are just named "External Hard Drive 1, External Hard Drive 2," in whatever order that they are connected (can also change order after the nightly reboot.)
2. Yes from the Hopper, but not from the Joey.
3. Yes.
4. No.
5. Yes.
6. No.

for the record I'm using the same hub/ehd/sling adapter/Wireless dongle on my Hopper as I was on my 722k's.

Works just fine :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)