Tailgater on Hopper accounts in the future

Scherrman

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Mar 14, 2008
Eastern Iowa
Just got done listening to the retailer chat and the questions was brought up once again as to why we are not able to have a tailgater on a Hopper account. They gave the same answer they always give but it does sound like they have heard enough complaints and are in the process of trying to make it work for everyone. I know most of you all think it's very simple for them to do but there are more internal reason that Dish does not have it working yet.

Just thought that everyone would like to know that Dish has heard everyone's opinions and they seem to be working on making it happen in the future.

Does that mean "make the Hopper control the Tailgater", or rather "add the 211 to a Hopper account?"

I don't care about adding a tailgater to a hopper. I can aim my own dish and wouldn't want to be taking a hopper with me. I just want to be able to add a 211 to a hopper acct for the very rare times we go tailgating, but mainly to take to the lake on weekends in the summer. Until then I won't be upgrading any of my equipment and could be enough to eventually make me consider the dark side, unless Directv makes the same asinine decision.

I still predict as I have from the beginning it's not going to be allowed. Not going over the reasons again, and I saw some far fetched or what I call real conspiracy theories why not. But I do predict there will be a compatible "Kangaroo" for those that want to take it on the road, or have an additional tuner in a room. But I'm also predicting it will work one of two ways. 1. When hooked up to the Hopper system, or 2. Be the only receiver active on the account if not used as part of the system. This will actually lead to an easier way to legally watch Dish at a vacation home etc...

I hope they just give in all together and allow mixed systems. kangaroo would work for me too if I could have 2 hoppers plus 4 kangaroo's awesome idea. Would rather have the mixed system though. I have also started to reserve my wishful thinking of what dish will do and what they won't because people on this website really don't seem to know what they are going to do. There was thread after thread about how dish had killed the 922 completely which turned out not to be true, so I will sit here and wait to see what dish actually does they may yet surprise me. :)

Last edited:
I still predict as I have from the beginning it's not going to be allowed. Not going over the reasons again, and I saw some far fetched or what I call real conspiracy theories why not. But I do predict there will be a compatible "Kangaroo" for those that want to take it on the road, or have an additional tuner in a room. But I'm also predicting it will work one of two ways. 1. When hooked up to the Hopper system, or 2. Be the only receiver active on the account if not used as part of the system. This will actually lead to an easier way to legally watch Dish at a vacation home etc...

If I have to call in whenever I want to use it, then I will move on. I have more important things to do, than wait on hold to please Dish, so I can activate a receiver for the weekend and then have to call back and have the main system reactivated on Sunday night. I'm not going to get a third acct now, just to have a receiver at the lake house on weekends for maybe 90 days a year. Being an AT250 customer for 15 years or whatever now, it may be time to switch. I've had both at once in the past and I would lose a couple of HD channels, I like by switching, but it seems like Dish (for all the great things they come up with) always seems to find a way to make things difficult.

I don't see the hopper ever directly controlling the tailgater or any rv dome dish. It needs 2 DPP feeds to run all 3 tuners.
The tailgater is essentially a single dp feed.

They most likely won't allow hopper/joey and other recs on the same household acct to avoid cust rewiring/relocating boxes and frying the system.

You should be able to take a hopper rv'ing now with a regular dish, just take another node.

Tailgater accts are supposed to be able to be added separately and activated only when using them.

Hopper per works fine in an RV. Since we view different things at the same time, our only option is a ground tripod Dish Pro 1000 and our automatic roof Winegard Trav'ler dish.

We had a single LNBF automatic dish when we first started and the friction when the dish re-positioned to another satellite caused too much marriage friction.

A Tailgatter is ideal for a weekend camper or tailgate parties at games. For that the best plan is to get a VIP211K and get the Pay-As-You-Go plan for the VIP211K. It would be a separate account but you would only pay for the months you use the VIP211K.

If I have to call in whenever I want to use it, then I will move on. I have more important things to do, than wait on hold to please Dish, so I can activate a receiver for the weekend and then have to call back and have the main system reactivated on Sunday night. I'm not going to get a third acct now, just to have a receiver at the lake house on weekends for maybe 90 days a year. Being an AT250 customer for 15 years or whatever now, it may be time to switch. I've had both at once in the past and I would lose a couple of HD channels, I like by switching, but it seems like Dish (for all the great things they come up with) always seems to find a way to make things difficult.

I too think it's time to switch if you are waiting to use a VIP on a Hopper system. That has been clearly relayed to us almost from the beginning. There has been no indication they will allow it, so no surprise. As for the "Kangaroo" the reason I said it might actually make using Dish at a vacation home easier is because I would envision the process to be automatic. Disconnect the Kangaroo from the Hopper system and the Hopper system is disabled, but the "Kangaroo" will work where you bring it. No need to call anyone.
Personally I wouldn't get the Hopper system if bringing Dish somewhere else is important to me unless I was willing to get a second account, which you can do without a contract, and sort of pay as you go..... and/or get the essential channels only. There are ways to do it still, though not not as easy as taking a receiver with you. But I maintain that's exactly why they are not going to allow the mixed set-up.

I too think it's time to switch if you are waiting to use a VIP on a Hopper system. That has been clearly relayed to us almost from the beginning. There has been no indication they will allow it, so no surprise. As for the "Kangaroo" the reason I said it might actually make using Dish at a vacation home easier is because I would envision the process to be automatic. Disconnect the Kangaroo from the Hopper system and the Hopper system is disabled, but the "Kangaroo" will work where you bring it. No need to call anyone.
Personally I wouldn't get the Hopper system if bringing Dish somewhere else is important to me unless I was willing to get a second account, which you can do without a contract, and sort of pay as you go..... and/or get the essential channels only. There are ways to do it still, though not not as easy as taking a receiver with you. But I maintain that's exactly why they are not going to allow the mixed set-up.

I thought of the disconnecting a special Joey with a tuner deactivating the main system. That would be fine as long as it was automated, but knowing Dish, they will announce it and then it may still be a year or more before it sees the light of day.

I'm not specially waiting for the mixed setups as much as I'm waiting to buy another house in the next few months. When I move and make this one a rental, I will probably be switching my personal account at that time, if something favorable to my uses hasn't been announced. My other account is for my mom and she is perfectly happy with her 211k and external hard drive.

What gets me is that Dish has made official diagrams that include ViP receivers. If they didn't ever plan on allowing ViP receivers on Hopper accounts, then why did they even bother with the diagrams? Hell on one of the diagrams the ViP receiver was labeled "tailgater" so that rules out having them there just for shared dishes with multiple accounts.

Rather than make a little money off a lot of people seems they are holding true to form by trying to make the most off a few who are willing to have a 2nd account for a mobile vip receiver. Doesn't surprise me at all, squeeze $$$ the most you can out of every sub, even losing a few in the process & profits will rise.

I think the reason why they are doing this is because they offered everyone at Team Summit their own Tailgater for $99 as a bonus for going to Team Summit and almost no one took them up on the offer. When they were walking around asking people what they thought most of them voiced their displeasure of having to have a separate account for the Tailgater when you have a Hopper setup.

I think they were expecting to move a lot of the Tailgaters at Team Summit and instead hardly moved any.

And I think now they know why. :)

I thought of the disconnecting a special Joey with a tuner deactivating the main system. That would be fine as long as it was automated, but knowing Dish, they will announce it and then it may still be a year or more before it sees the light of day.

Can't argue that. :)

I think the reason why they are doing this is because they offered everyone at Team Summit their own Tailgater for $99 as a bonus for going to Team Summit and almost no one took them up on the offer. When they were walking around asking people what they thought most of them voiced their displeasure of having to have a separate account for the Tailgater when you have a Hopper setup.

I think they were expecting to move a lot of the Tailgaters at Team Summit and instead hardly moved any.

And I think now they know why. :)

Wow Dish. That's pretty silly if they expected people to take up that offer, then make 2 accounts and pay twice as much monthly...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)