anything about switched video and more Hd?

JamesJ

AKA Stuart628
Supporting Founder
Jul 21, 2004
Akron (Cleveland), Oh
hey optimus or anyone in the know, are we still going right on track with switched video?? I would love to have more HD, since about a week ago, I completely cut my dishnetwork off, I had both,but now time warner is my only thing I got going, so I would love to hear if we have stuff heading our way, or if it will be another espnhd, and be about a year after it is released we get it/

stuart628 said:
hey optimus or anyone in the know, are we still going right on track with switched video?? I would love to have more HD, since about a week ago, I completely cut my dishnetwork off, I had both,but now time warner is my only thing I got going, so I would love to hear if we have stuff heading our way, or if it will be another espnhd, and be about a year after it is released we get it/

I'm sorry but your wrong. ESPN HD took over two years. Its ESPN 2 HD that you think is taking one year because as of 1-6-2006 it will be one year without ESPN 2 HD on Time Warner Cable. Now I'm not picking on you just pointing out just how much worse this issue really is. This just shows how much Time Warner Cable needs to get off their arses and start acting.

Time Warner does tend to...

...blow goat chodes from time to time. The buzz in NC is that they're focused on the technology for next year; i.e. bringing us caller ID on tv, multi-room DVR, etc. My local reps won't confirm or even talk about anything having to do with adding channels. :(

I sent corporate Time Warner a letter asking for Scientific Atlanta's DVR w/ built-in DVD recorder. According to SA, it will be available to operators by the end of this year. That means we won't get it until... 2012? :rolleyes:

yeah, wow, caller id on the tv screen, IF you have digital phone, lol what a joke, We want channels, not Caller ID can I sign up to help them out in all of this??

stuart628 said:
yeah, wow, caller id on the tv screen...

I mean, I'm lazy and all... But I might gain calories if I don't pick up the cordless handset laying 7 inches from my fingers, to look at its caller-ID display... :rolleyes:

Here's part of an e-mail I rec'd a few weeks ago from my local contact at TW-Western Ohio:
Eventually all the broadcaster services will be moved to a switch digital stream model. It'll work like real time VoD, we'll only stream it out when a set top requests it, and then it will only go to the service group that the requesting set top is in. The same spectrum can be used in other service groups (and set tops) to view other content.

Notice, Time Warner says "eventually..."

hall said:
Eventually all the broadcaster services will be moved to a switch digital stream model...

Just like Time Warner to make a claim like that... It will be YEARS before we see this level of service from them. By the way, for those who are not familiar. This is what Verizon is doing with their FiOS service, which is available NOW in certain markets... And it's a hell of a lot cheaper than cable...

stuart628 said:
do we have a rough date on this as I am really ready to see this happening I think Time warner will use this to a huge advantage for more HD

No, it won't make a difference. Time Warner's current deployment couldn't support tons of HD streaming. They have to get in like Verizon's doing, and bring fiber to my front door. :D

whats said is I just got a call from my contact, and said that the freed bandwidth "when" deployed 9switched video) would more then likely go for more on demand stuff rather then them focusing on HD they want digital, and more On demand (which I didnt think took extra bandwidth) but he knows what he is talking about not me...so I guess time warners focus isnt HD as they think Locals in HD is what will bring people in

On Demand requires...

stuart628 said:
(which I didnt think took extra bandwidth)

...uuber bandwidth. An individual digital channel or stream doesn't require a ton of weight behind it, but with security algororithms and streaming software in place, bandwidth needs become greater and greater. Now, add multiple streams on top of it... Much bandwidth is needed, which I don't believe Time Warner has.

so then he was right, thats where all the bandwidth or I should say alot of it will be going anyways, which is cool, I know that is one for 100% sure advantage they have over satellite and will have into the far future.

I disagree...

stuart628 said:
100% sure advantage they have over satellite and will have into the far future.

Incorrect. As satellite providers begin to switch over to better codecs (mpeg4) their bandwidth allocations will change drastically. Further, as new codecs emerge, compression (much as I hate to say it...) will become better and better. Cable companies are proprietary. At least, Time Warner is. They don't play with common, popular compression techniques. Everything they use for my area has been outdated for years, and they show no signs of updating any time soon.

I would agree though, that anytime Time Warner (or any company) adds bandwidth it is certainly a cool thing. The problem is, we won't see it's full potential or benefit for years.

Absoultely, Sir...

stuart628 said:
sorry what I meant was, that Video on demand is what cable has over sat. for the far future.

You Sir, are quite right for that point... Cable is far more capable in regards to "on-demand" and data delivery services... Remember when DirecTV tried to offer dsl? The service (supposedly) was horrible!

I know they are working on more and more, trying to get that, but without a really good two way communication then its not going to work....I have heard rumblings of the sat companies hooking up with dsl companies but I dont see that as possible as phone companies are now trying to do Fiber.....but we will see what happens, I just hope the consumer wins in all of this!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts