Anything New Or Interesting???

drfreeman

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Aug 17, 2004
have not heard anything from sky angel......
no new sky angel viewer questionaire....
anything on getting those channels back??
just wondering..................

In Sky Angel's last questionnaire, I think they mentioned something about taking a couple months off and giving the Viewer Advisory Board a summer break. From what I recall, they intend to have the next survey in August or September.

The only other interesting development that I can think of is that the "i" network, formerly known as PAX, seems to have acquired quite a bit of rerun programming which will be available to Guardian TV if they want to show any of it. Not all of it would be appropriate for Sky Angel, but some of it would, and at least it would allow Guardian to offer more variety in "clean" entertaining TV.

I do not like the choice of movies that GTN has been showing. Due to the content setting (Language, Violence, Sexual) they have been blocked the last few weeks. I hope GTN goes back to more family-friendly programs and movies. (Like no A-Team and only G-rated movies, it would be nice.)
~MYB~

jegrant said:
In Sky Angel's last questionnaire, I think they mentioned something about taking a couple months off and giving the Viewer Advisory Board a summer break. From what I recall, they intend to have the next survey in August or September.

The only other interesting development that I can think of is that the "i" network, formerly known as PAX, seems to have acquired quite a bit of rerun programming which will be available to Guardian TV if they want to show any of it. Not all of it would be appropriate for Sky Angel, but some of it would, and at least it would allow Guardian to offer more variety in "clean" entertaining TV.

M*A*S*H on Hallmark probably wouldn't fit most people's definition either. :)

Though I like watching some since it reminds me of my own youth. (Though I skip about half the shows I happen to see for the reasons listed above. )

Brad

I would like to see a network put together like Hallmark that just did family-friendly programs. Guardian or "i" would be the best bet. The best thing is just to write to them.

Here's a few new articles that mention Sky Angel.

"From The Heavens"
http://www.broadcastingcable.com/article/CA6357456.html

Seems SA* is gearing up for a massive ad campaign in the fall. Interesting. Not sure what to make of the article's mention:
Although religious networks haven’t always had many outlets to air programs targeted to Christians, Jews, Muslims or members of other religions, Sky Angel’s new campaign indicates that things are changing.
While I would doubt SA* intends to air any Muslim programming, if they did, it would be an interesting sort of outreach, and adding programming that represents other faiths might help SA* enter the Canadian market.

The part at the bottom sounds strange:
A DirecTV spokesman concedes that public-interest rules obligate the service to provide religious channels.

“Nonetheless,” he says, “our customer base is composed of people of many different faiths and religious beliefs, and these channels obviously serve a need among those viewers.”
I think it is inaccurate to say PI rules *require* religious programming. All the rules state is that DBS providers can't discriminate on the basis of program content. (FWIW, I think the SA* vs. E* lawsuit proved that religious programming certainly isn't required by PI rules.)

The second article from the same magazine is more related to programming, but does touch on the TVU and KTV services carried by Sky Angel:
http://www.broadcastingcable.com/article/CA6357457.html

Does anyone know why Sky Angel is airing movies that are R-rated and have content with Language, Violence, Nudity, and Sexual Content? What has happened to their "Worry-Free TV", with "Christ-centered", "Family-friendly" viewing? I am confused.
~MYB~

They aren't having market growth with JUST Christian ministries....

It is the reason I doubt they are viable in the long run. The target niche is too small. They don't have enough content or viewers.

Brad

MellowYBird said:
Does anyone know why Sky Angel is airing movies that are R-rated and have content with Language, Violence, Nudity, and Sexual Content? What has happened to their "Worry-Free TV", with "Christ-centered", "Family-friendly" viewing? I am confused.
~MYB~

When have you ever seen nudity or heard foul language in the movies aired on Sky Angel? Here is what is going on: the "rating" given is that the movie had during its theatrical run. However, the movie has been "cleaned up" for TV--nudity for sure is cut out, and most offensive language as well. Are there some movies, say on Hallmark Movie Channel or Guardian, that have violence and sexual references? Yes (ie, Walker, MASH, etc.). But you are NOT getting "R-rated" movies as they are in the theaters; rather, more of a "PG" version. Somehow, there needs to be a "re-rating" system that reflects the editing done for TV presentation.

Should Sky Angel be airing programs that require parental guidance? That's another question, and a good one. I have long maintained that there has never really been any "worry-free" TV on Sky Angel--there are some "ministry" programs that promote such whacky doctrines and practices, I would certainly never want my kids to watch them! However, I am a Sky Angel subscriber because of all the GOOD programs available on it.

My conclusion is that there is really no such thing as "worry-free" TV. As a parent, you will ALWAYS need to monitor programming, no matter WHO the provider is.

While I would doubt SA* intends to air any Muslim programming, if they did, it would be an interesting sort of outreach, and adding programming that represents other faiths might help SA* enter the Canadian market

issue there. The CRTC hasn't authorized them to be licensed in Canada. So right now the only way is with a grey market subscription

That is a relief that they do not actually air the R-rated version. (I did not watch to know this.) Even though, you are right, some programming is still very questionable. I have noticed the change in content in just 1 1/2 years. I also noticed GTN does not seem to "cut" some scenes that I feel should not be aired.
But over all I do love Sky Angel for the most part and I hope they keep airing the programs that we do enjoy watching.
Thanks for the info.
~MYB~

While I, too, don't really appreciate a lot of the language, innuendos, etc. on some of these shows, we must also realize that, sadly, it is a fact of life. Anymore, I hear and see much worse in Wal-Mart than I see on TV. If I had small children at home today (thing of the past, our youngest is 31), I would rather they heard it first on TV at home where they could ask about what they heard and get an explanation of how inappropriate it is rather than see it all around them at school and in the stores and think it is a 'normal' thing.

Sky Angel's marketing pitch is that parents don't have to be concerned about what their children are watching if they are tuned into Sky Angel's programming. I expect my kids to hear bad language when we go out into public but it is not permitted in our home. Yet beyond the bad language is the violence that I see on Hallmark. I have put on parental controls and often times it blocks out Hallmark's programming.

I am aware SA* doesn't have CRTC permission to legally sell their service in Canada. However, if they chose to add programming that represents other religions, it might help convince the CRTC to allow it.

The biggest obstacle might be clearing the Canadian rights to many of the programs showing on SA*. Alternatively, they might be able to simply delete a few channels from the Canadian service.

Maybe "Muslim programming" would be a good idea. From what I see and hear Muslims are pretty strong with their morals. Especially when it comes to the way the women dress, I've always seen them totally covered, unlike "others".

ShaneLinder,
How are the commercials on Hallmark? I have the whole channel blocked out and have not been brave enough to watch it, even with the ratings setting (actually I have not had the time to check it out). Do they always rate a program appropriately? I don't always agree with television or movie ratings, but I have not tried Hallmark yet.

~MYB~

The only problem I have had, and I am not as conservative as some Christians, is the violence in the old westerns. I think the parental controls should block it out because I have it set to block out violence but somehow the old westerns slip through. My kids are only 3 and 5 and even though most of the violence in the old westerns is pretty fake compared to modern-day programming, it is still pretty scary for my kids.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)