Anyway to lessen the fan noise on my 722

DishDave

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 16, 2003
This thing is keeping me up. I have one in the bedroom and one in the family room. If the house is air conditioned could i unplug the fan inside the unit ?

The best answer is get it out of the bedroom. Second answer would be introduce some other source of noise that will mask the fan.
Yes you can unplug the fan but expect receiver failure soon afterward.

First, you do not want to disconnect the fan, it would overheat for sure. Second, the fan should not be that loud. Are you talking about just the normal fan while it runs or are you talking about when it reboots? If you are talking about the loud reboot fan you can change the time that it does the update from the default 3AM to somtime when you aren't sleeping (menu 8, 4)

First, you do not want to disconnect the fan, it would overheat for sure. Second, the fan should not be that loud. Are you talking about just the normal fan while it runs or are you talking about when it reboots? If you are talking about the loud reboot fan you can change the time that it does the update from the default 3AM to somtime when you aren't sleeping (menu 8, 4)
Dead on good suggestion!!!

Nope this is the normal fan that runs 24x7 I already have the receiver doing the updates at 12 pm instead of 3pm . I might think i have a bad box but both of my 722 sounds exactly the same way same noise level.

Nope this is the normal fan that runs 24x7 I already have the receiver doing the updates at 12 pm instead of 3pm . I might think i have a bad box but both of my 722 sounds exactly the same way same noise level.

My 722 is absolutely quiet, except for when it has to re-boot. What are your temp readings? (Menu,6,3, counters, then scroll down using the page button).

Note the fan almost never runs all the time if the unit is not confined in an average (70's) temperture room. It is at least two speed and will spend most of its time not running at all. Sometimes, particularly when you are doing a lot of things at the some time it will kick in the lower speed. High speed is rare and you usually hear it only at startup.

Many people mistake the HDD spinning noise for fan noise. The HDD never turns off. I have two 622's in bedrooms, and keep them at the opposite end of the room from the top of the beds. No one normally notice them at night. The nightly reboot times for both were moved. When they do reboot, as they did a few weeks ago when there was that mistake that caused a cycle of reinstalls of L449, then it will wake you up.

Is it enclosed in a some sort of cabinet? If so, Google "home theater cooling." You can find a variable speed AC fan for about $25.

If it is free standing, you could place a USB laptop cooler under the unit.

If you are not turning video off then do so. It will still record in "off" mode.

The fan in my 622 never runs except when it reboots. Otherwise it sets at ZERO RPM. If your fan is running there is a problem with your unit.

Depends on where you live I guess. I live in a cool coastal area and both of my 622's were pretty noisy. However I take into account that I am somewhat sensitive to noise. The receiver was in a large cabinet under a TV table (4 legs, no front side or back, 3 inches space on top, 8" on either side and 6" in back) and had several very large holes in the back. So I put in inside the big cabinet space underneath (also with several big holes). During the day it cant be heard over the ambient noise. At night its there but pretty low.

Its not what I wanted to do but the temps arent any different so I figure its ok.

The fan in my 622 never runs except when it reboots. Otherwise it sets at ZERO RPM. If your fan is running there is a problem with your unit.

So you are telling me that both of my 722s are bad. both of the fans run 24hrs. Now i know the diff. from a reboot fan ramp up. To just a steady fan making noise
and both of my receivers sound just alike. a low dull fan noise.

I have mine in an armoire with the TV. It made a dull noise until I got it some clear air. I had to move it up a shelf and open the back of the unit before it would quiet down.

I put one of those fancy $3 pieces of rubber mat thingys down under mine and it did the trick.

ha-547.91.703-l.jpg

Fan also runs 24-7

I have had the 722 for about a week now. The high fan runs almost 24-7. I just couldn't take it anymore (way too loud). I can hear the unit downstair and it is upstairs. Called DishNetwork and they are sending me a replacement. I hope it does better. I will post again if it does.

I have had the 722 for about a week now. The high fan runs almost 24-7. I just couldn't take it anymore (way too loud). I can hear the unit downstair and it is upstairs. Called DishNetwork and they are sending me a replacement. I hope it does better. I will post again if it does.

Did you check the HDD temps by any chance?

I have a 622 and the only time I ever hear the fan is during startup/reboot. Never once have I heard the fan come on. Granted, my entertainment center is in my basement, where the temperature is relatively constant, but I would not call it cool. I think if your fans are on 24/7 you probably have an overheating issue. You might want to try directing a desk fan or similar on the unit to see if that keeps it from coming on. If it does, you can be pretty sure your issue is airflow. If the internal fan still comes on, maybe the unit is bad, but I wouldn't think that is likely if it happens on both your 722's. I know this may be a stupid question, but you do not have anything on top or sides of the unit do you? I have seen people stick a DVD player on top of the box and then wonder why it overheated or the fan runs constantly. I have learned never to take the obvious for granted........

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)