Apartment Install...need helpful suggestions.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

doomque

Original poster
Sep 10, 2007
I am moving to an apartment that requires the sat dish to be inside the patio and not mounted to the banaster. what options do i have and will the installer provide what i need or do i need to get things in advance. please advise.:confused:

Southern view?...Where are you? If no southern view call the cable company. If southern view you will have to acquire a tripod mount and figure a way to get cable into your apartment. The installer will not have the tripod and may or may not have flat coax patch cords.

You will need a written permission from the landlord. There is a little more but get this far and the rest is easier

Joe

i have a direct southern view. patio is 15x6x9. it is an upstairs apartment. i will have the 5lnb dish. I have permission for the dish. i was told previously that a tripod would not hold the 5lnb dish. is this true? where do i get one that will if not. will bucket and cement work? what is a non pens?

This is the non penetrating mount that would be the easiest & (at least in my case) they actually carried them in the D truck for installs (free). Seems like what's free is up in the air anymore so is best to ask but I'm sure they could locate one for you. If you get it yourself make sure the mast is 2 inches.

FRM.jpg

This is the non penetrating mount that would be the easiest & (at least in my case) they actually carried them in the D truck for installs (free). Seems like what's free is up in the air anymore so is best to ask but I'm sure they could locate one for you. If you get it yourself make sure the mast is 2 inches.

FRM.jpg
This is a special request item and they are not carried on the trucks. Maybe a few outfits might, but the vast majority do not. Good luck getting it free.

I am moving to an apartment that requires the sat dish to be inside the patio and not mounted to the banaster. what options do i have and will the installer provide what i need or do i need to get things in advance. please advise.:confused:
If getting a clean solid install for all the joy of HD is important to you (as it is to me!) be ready to handsomely tip the installer. If you make it clear to him that you'll make it worth his while, BOTH of you will be happy. Forty or 50 bucks now will seem like very little for a job well-done.:cool:

When I lived in an apartment years ago I had a 5 gallon bucket with the pole sticking out of it. I used cement to hold the pole in place. I mounted the dish on the pole as if it were in the ground. That however, was many years ago, before the Slimline dish.

i have a direct southern view. patio is 15x6x9. it is an upstairs apartment. i will have the 5lnb dish. I have permission for the dish. i was told previously that a tripod would not hold the 5lnb dish. is this true? where do i get one that will if not. will bucket and cement work? what is a non pens?

Why wouldn't a tripod be strong enough to hold a 5lnb dish? As long as you put cinder blocks over each "foot" you should be alright.

I have an apartment install and I had two different installers tell me that the tripod isn't strong enough to hold the 5LNB dish. Both installers suggested that I use the 5 gallon bucket and concrete, but both said that their office charged $75 for a pole mount if they had to provide the pole. I made the pole and bucket setup myself and they were then able to provide the install for free.

They did provide a metal bracket arm that is supposed to hold the dish and pole in place to prevent strong wind from turning or moving it. The bracket arm has two small screws that screw into the wall about a half inch. The were willing to use wire ties to tie tether the pole to my porch rail if I wanted but I opted for the bracket arm instead. If you are 100% opposed to them using screws to mount to the wall, then the wire ties are your next best option.

I like the tripod because you can get it closer to the balcony railing. Overhang from the balcony above can be an issue.

I have clamped monopoles (2) to the railing and the bottom of the 5 LNB dish....just run the bolts through the dish. AND / OR you can hang a block from the center of the pole.

The nonpen will work for sure.

I saw a variation on the bucket install. Use two(2) three foot pieces of pipe to extend the base. Just pound them through the side of the bucket so they cross at th bottom. One will be higher that the other so you will need two wood blocks to support each end of one pipe. Add the concrete but stuff newspaper around the pipe holes to keep the water from running out while the concrete sets

Getting the cables into the apartment may be the next part of this project. See what the installer proposes

Joe

Last edited:
Usually for an apartment you can use flat wire through the window. I use perfect-10 2" non-pen mounts and they have the mast assembled at the end not the middle of the mount and it stand 36" tall. I know I pay $42.99 each for the mount and $10 for blocks so I usually charge $80 for the entire setup. I have seen other people charge from $75-$125

Why wouldn't a tripod be strong enough to hold a 5lnb dish? As long as you put cinder blocks over each "foot" you should be alright.

Tripods are not enough to hold the heavier Slimline Dish..The non pen mount is best..It has a lower center of gravity and it is easy to place blocks or other type weighted material on it....Apartments frequently require non standard installs. Be prepared to spend money for your install.

Usually for an apartment you can use flat wire through the window. I use perfect-10 2" non-pen mounts and they have the mast assembled at the end not the middle of the mount and it stand 36" tall. I know I pay $42.99 each for the mount and $10 for blocks so I usually charge $80 for the entire setup. I have seen other people charge from $75-$125
Would you mind not divulging contractor pricing to customers. Thank you. :eureka

I guess that's what I was asking. Having never dealt with a Slimline I wasn't sure how bulky those things are. I know with a SD105/121 a person could get away with a tripod as long as you kept the main assembly low enough to the tip of the tripod.

I built my own non-penetrating mount for my company apt I am in right now for a bit less that $25 and it utilizes the provided J-mount mast that comes with the install and the dipoles. Has worked for over a year & a half through some very violent storms and winds (one tornado). Its not pretty by my standards but the upscale country club complex has no issues with it.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts