App Store and older versions of apps

Hall

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Feb 14, 2004
Germantown OH
Help me out in case I'm doing something wrong, but why is the app store stupid in that it seemingly only holds current versions of apps ?

My kids both have 2G/3G iPod touch, running iOS 4.2.1. Apps that they used to have installed no report that GL (video hardware, I presume) is req'd or that the app simply requires iOS 4.3 or higher. I don't care, nor do they, and from searches on the internet, nor do others in my situation, if we have the latest, and not always greatest, version of an app. I'm okay that the latest version of app "x" requires features only available in iOS 5 or iOS 6. Offer me (us) an older, compatible version of the app though. Then, of course, comes the "issue" of support, security issues, etc, etc (i.e. excuses).

Simply, why doesn't the app store read the hardware and software info of the device and then display ONLY THOSE APPS that are compatible ? It's hardly a new concept... In the end, I can think of only one reason why Apple does it this way. It CAN be done. I don't want anyone to turn this into an Apple vs Android issue because I mention this, but the Google app store deals with this. It detects your hardware and software and only DISPLAYS apps that are compatible.

Here, I'll say it: Apple does this, IMO, to try and force people to buy new hardware...

Will jailbreaking allow me to install these older apps ?

Reverting To Older Version of iOS App

Don't have a jailbroken iDevice. Here is a current discussion of the topic:
forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1321726

The outlook is not too promising. For an unjailbroken iDevice, the answer is a firm maybe.

Just this week I reverted to an older version of an app. Not easy. Requires constant vigilance, especially if you sync more than one iDevice on your PC. Can't speak for macs, but they are also discussed in above link.

I occasionally back up my app (ipa) files on my PC. In my Windows 7, 64 bit PC, they are located in C:\Users\[your user name goes here]\Music\iTunes\iTunes Media. Don't have any iOS 3 files.

To summarize, you need:
1) A copy of the version you want to revert to (or a source for it).
2) Patience in order to:
a) avoid updating your iDevices to the current version of the app(s). You will be constantly nagged. You can no longer click on [Download All Aree Updates],
b) root out and delete all copies of the new version on your iDevices, PC, and in your iTunes PC program (before installing the older version).

Good luck. If you find an easy way, please post it here.

iPhone 5,1, WiFi+4G(LTE), 64G, iOS 6.0
iPad 3,3, WiFi+4G(HSPA+), 64G, iOS 6.0
iPhone 4S, WiFi+4G(HSPA+), 64G, iOS 6.0
iPad 2, WiFi+GSM, 64G, iOS 6.0
iTouch 4, WiFi, 32G, iOS 6.0

So it's probably a little too late to do anything about this, but I was reminded of this post when Cut the Rope updated and tried to install onto my G1 iPad. Up popped up the error that talked about not being able to install the app because it wasn't compatible with the version of iOS installed on the iPad. (Who would have though that Cut the Rope was that cutting edge.) So I checked what was in my recycle bin and sure enough... there's the prior versions.

So if you haven't emptied your recycle bin yet, the old versions of the apps are put there.

I've checked the PCs with no luck. I've never (figured out how to) back up apps to iTunes and never worried too much. 99% are free apps that I figured I could always re-download later.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)