Appeals Court Finds Echostar in Contempt in TIVO Case

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
I love the "when Fios gets to me, I'm gone!" You'll be here a LONG time since they are slowing down expansion...it not stopping altogether, according to WSJ. Losing $800.00 per new customer.

They need Charlie.;)

I think Charlie Ergen is an outstanding businessman...however, I don't think EchoStar shareholders are very happy about his blowing hundreds of millions in shareholder funds because he is "stubborn" in the Tivo case. While most people have been focused on the consumer aspect of losing DVR functionality, investors will focus on how their funds are being used used or, in this case, misused. The reason I am reposting the 2-year old article is to show what many of us predicted would happen...Mr. Ergen's actions to avoid a licensing agreement and violating a court order would potentially cost the company $$$,$$$,$$$. The CEO and BOD have some explaining to do... ;)

So how much stock do you own? I own a bit and I'm not complaining. In fact when I saw Charlie at CES, I thanked him for making Dish so great. The company has made me much more than I pay each year for it's service. Yeah, I have some issues with the dimwits called CSR's but eventually even they get it. As a stock holder, I'm quite content, especially with the ROI. Now go worry about TIVO shareholders and see if they need your concern, having lost 12 cents a share in the last quarter.

I love the "when Fios gets to me, I'm gone!" You'll be here a LONG time since they are slowing down expansion...it not stopping altogether, according to WSJ. Losing $800.00 per new customer.

They need Charlie.;)

Funny thing there as Verizon is being sued for infringement by TIVO. Verizon has been big fans of Charlie's fighting with TIVO as it lets them see the mistakes Charlies lawyers have made so they know what to do differently.

So how much stock do you own? I own a bit and I'm not complaining. In fact when I saw Charlie at CES, I thanked him for making Dish so great. The company has made me much more than I pay each year for it's service. Yeah, I have some issues with the dimwits called CSR's but eventually even they get it. As a stock holder, I'm quite content, especially with the ROI. Now go worry about TIVO shareholders and see if they need your concern, having lost 12 cents a share in the last quarter.
Not a lot...certainly not more than 2K. In my opinion, Charlie is a visionary and astute businessman with a unique ability to produce bottom-line financial success. That's why his actions in this case are so puzzling. While I have applauded Mr. Ergen for initially challenging the Tivo patents, his personal vendetta in this matter is costing the company hundreds of millions. Certainly, these funds can be put to better use than filling Tivo's coffers and paying legal expenses. As far as Tivo is concerned I have no desire to purchase their stock since they are now a company focused on litigation instead of innovation. Moreover, I believe it is only a matter of time before some of their patents are overturned. What a horrible business model.

Funny thing there as Verizon is being sued for infringement by TIVO. Verizon has been big fans of Charlie's fighting with TIVO as it lets them see the mistakes Charlies lawyers have made so they know what to do differently.

Tivo is a parasitic company. They haven't actually created anything in a good long time, and have since taken up legal bullying as a source of revenue instead of innovation.

The biggest difference is Verizon and AT&T have obtained "video processing" patents and are being helped by Microsoft and others. The Telcos counterclaim that Tivo is infringing several of their patents.

Not a lot...certainly not more than 2K. In my opinion, Charlie is a visionary and astute businessman with a unique ability to produce bottom-line financial success. That's why his actions in this case are so puzzling. While I have applauded Mr. Ergen for initially challenging the Tivo patents, his personal vendetta in this matter is costing the company hundreds of millions. Certainly, these funds can be put to better use than filling Tivo's coffers and paying legal expenses. As far as Tivo is concerned I have no desire to purchase their stock since they are now a company focused on litigation instead of innovation. Moreover, I believe it is only a matter of time before some of their patents are overturned. What a horrible business model.

Gosh! Did my slap in your face bring you back to senses? This post makes more sense than most of your previous emotional outbursts.

I really don't think it is personal for Charlie at all. However, TIVO's suit may be personal since Charlie refused to give TIVO what they wanted early on. D*, on the other hand did! Charlie is playing a game here with TIVO and he holds a pile of cash to play with. Plus he feels he is right. Many of us feel TIVO's patents are weak and the patent system is broke. TIVO's only ace up the sleeve is they called the shots to gain a favored district for the trial.

One additional point though, Let's let Charlie do what he thinks he needs to do as best for the long haul. If I were the richest man in CO or had the business acumen he has and you give him credit for, I might criticize. But far be it from me to criticize how he manages the money, as long as it does not negatively impact my balance sheet, which so far it hasn't. What many know-it-all's fail in is they don't see the big picture that the man at the top must do to be successful. AS in this case you and many others are just micromanaging and criticizing one small part of the company's operation, it's court battles.

With TIVO, if you subtract out the revenue they have added to the books from the court rulings, they would be bankrupt by now. Their operating costs still exceed their profits. Considering that, there is no way they could supply the industry with their products when they cost TIVO more than they sell them for.

Last edited:
What many know-it-all's fail in is they don't see the big picture that the man at the top must do to be successful.
Excellent point. For example, do we know what Tivo was demanding for licensing fees? I can imagine it was even more eye-popping per year than the penalties paid thus far by Dish.

Gosh! Did my slap in your face bring you back to senses? This post makes more sense than most of your previous emotional outbursts.

I really don't think it is personal for Charlie at all. However, TIVO's suit may be personal since Charlie refused to give TIVO what they wanted early on. D*, on the other hand did! Charlie is playing a game here with TIVO and he holds a pile of cash to play with. Plus he feels he is right. Many of us feel TIVO's patents are weak and the patent system is broke. TIVO's only ace up the sleeve is they called the shots to gain a favored district for the trial.

One additional point though, Let's let Charlie do what he thinks he needs to do as best for the long haul. If I were the richest man in CO or had the business acumen he has and you give him credit for, I might criticize. But far be it from me to criticize how he manages the money, as long as it does not negatively impact my balance sheet, which so far it hasn't. What many know-it-all's fail in is they don't see the big picture that the man at the top must do to be successful. AS in this case you and many others are just micromanaging and criticizing one small part of the company's operation, it's court battles.

With TIVO, if you subtract out the revenue they have added to the books from the court rulings, they would be bankrupt by now. Their operating costs still exceed their profits. Considering that, there is no way they could supply the industry with their products when they cost TIVO more than they sell them for.
Emotional? Come on Don...I'm a man and retired Marine...nothing emotional, sensitive or empathetic about me.:D

My position on this case has remained unchanged over-the-years. While I do not believe the Tivo patents are unenforceable (my opinion), the courts ruled otherwise and they issued a lawful order for Dish Network to disable the infringing DVRs. Dish Network, under the stewardship of its CEO, decided to willfully violate the court order and were subsequently judged to be in contempt. After all, the definition of contempt is willful disobedience of a lawful order.

My only complaint is that Charlie's stubbornness (self admitted in this case) is causing the shareholders to lose money. If this were Mr. Ergen's personal funds then so be it. However, the CEO has a fiduciary duty to run the company for the benefit of shareholders. Moreover, he must exercise common law duties of care, skill and diligence. In other words, he is expected to demonstrate "such care as an ordinary man might be expected to take on his own behalf." It is my opinion that violating a court order is not something a diligent man would do - it is negligent behavior.

The bottom line is the infringement coupled with violating the court order, being found in contempt of court, and not seeking to minimize the company's losses through a number of possible options (not paying penalties and obtaining favorable licensing fees are just two of them) is, in fact, already affecting Dish Network's bottom-line. It's costing them tens if not hundreds of millions. A very small portion of that money is ours. :(

In my defense, I gotta stop posting with my mobile phone (pain in the arse to address complex issues)...and I have to stop posting issues involve substance and thought since, unfortunately, a growing percentage of folks cannot see beyond their needs and how these issues affect others. For example, when E* lights-up a new HD channels the huddled masses to wild with, "We love you Charlie." However, when you point-out that HD quality if inferior to what it was a few years ago and that Dish Network should perhaps address their quality issues...well, you get quite another reply. In this case, if Dish Network were to disable the infringing DVRs then the nasty and snide comments would run rampant. However, if you point-out the CEO's actions in the Tivo case are costing shareholders $$$,$$$,$$$, well, you get attacked because Joe Schmoe isn't a shareholder and simply blames Tivo.

Riff

While I do not believe the Tivo patents are unenforceable (my opinion),

Purposeful double negative? It confused me, especially read in context with the rest of the statement.

the courts ruled otherwise and they issued a lawful order for Dish Network to disable the infringing DVRs.

Not trying to pick nits, just want to make sure I understand what you are saying.

Losing $$$$?

Emotional? Come on Don...I'm a man and retired Marine...nothing emotional, sensitive or empathetic about me.:D

My position on this case has remained unchanged over-the-years. While I do not believe the Tivo patents are unenforceable (my opinion), the courts ruled otherwise and they issued a lawful order for Dish Network to disable the infringing DVRs. Dish Network, under the stewardship of its CEO, decided to willfully violate the court order and were subsequently judged to be in contempt. After all, the definition of contempt is willful disobedience of a lawful order.

My only complaint is that Charlie's stubbornness (self admitted in this case) is causing the shareholders to lose money. If this were Mr. Ergen's personal funds then so be it. However, the CEO has a fiduciary duty to run the company for the benefit of shareholders. Moreover, he must exercise common law duties of care, skill and diligence. In other words, he is expected to demonstrate "such care as an ordinary man might be expected to take on his own behalf." It is my opinion that violating a court order is not something a diligent man would do - it is negligent behavior.

The bottom line is the infringement coupled with violating the court order, being found in contempt of court, and not seeking to minimize the company's losses through a number of possible options (not paying penalties and obtaining favorable licensing fees are just two of them) is, in fact, already affecting Dish Network's bottom-line. It's costing them tens if not hundreds of millions. A very small portion of that money is ours. :(

In my defense, I gotta stop posting with my mobile phone (pain in the arse to address complex issues)...and I have to stop posting issues involve substance and thought since, unfortunately, a growing percentage of folks cannot see beyond their needs and how these issues affect others. For example, when E* lights-up a new HD channels the huddled masses to wild with, "We love you Charlie." However, when you point-out that HD quality if inferior to what it was a few years ago and that Dish Network should perhaps address their quality issues...well, you get quite another reply. In this case, if Dish Network were to disable the infringing DVRs then the nasty and snide comments would run rampant. However, if you point-out the CEO's actions in the Tivo case are costing shareholders $$$,$$$,$$$, well, you get attacked because Joe Schmoe isn't a shareholder and simply blames Tivo.

Riff

We had an investor say your incorrect on the losing $$$. So where do you get that info. It seems to be TIVO w/ there 1 trick pony company that just post 5 quarters of loss. So I just don't understand your logic.

Only their main one. *points to ReplayTV*
Stop spreading lies to fit your agenda -- you're just making yourself look like a fool. Your statement above has ZERO basis in fact. Just because ReplyTV DVRs made it to market a little before TiVo does NOT mean TiVo stole anything from them. Both peices of hardware were in development at the same time. Furthermore, TiVo has DVR patents that predate any of ReplyTV patents.

The biggest difference is Verizon and AT&T have obtained "video processing" patents and are being helped by Microsoft and others. The Telcos counterclaim that Tivo is infringing several of their patents.

Believe me, I don't think TIVO's chance against either AT&T or Verizon are very good. First both companies got to see the mistakes the Echostar lawyers made (And there seemed to be a few important ones). Second, while not the only claim against either company, the fact TIVO is now defending their bread and butter '389 patent in front of the patent office on claims of combined prior art making the process obvious. And three as you pointed out the former bells seem to have some portfolio ammunition of their own from the Bell Labs, baby bell days, and it surely doesn't hurt AT&T that they have Microsoft in their corner playing both defense and offense against TIVO. Regardless of my personal feelings for Microsoft's behavior in the world of IP use, abuse and litigation they do have a significant portfolio themselves and are certainly no strangers to world of infringement litigation.

On another related note I think the Verizon litigation will be especially interesting as in their response to the TIVO lawsuit they basically said that while they appreciate TIVO's forum shopping, neither they nor any of their related parties named in the suit actually have any customers in the Eastern District of Texas and as such would most likely move for a change of jurisdiction . If they do request for it and it is granted TIVO can say goodbye to the Rocket Docket court which appears to be very plaintiff friendly. So now they (TIVO) are looking at a much longer process in a jurisdiction probably less likely to be as plaintiff friendly as the Eastern District of Texas have proven to be.

I know we are so focused on how Charlie has been pushing this, but if you look at it from a different point of view, if only one judge had voted the other way, Dish would have one the appeal. And the dissenting opinion is an interesting read.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts