Apple guilty of ebook price fixing, says judge

Wonder what damages could look like for something like this. Pretty hard to get out of this kind of thing when everyone you colluded with rolls over on you.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

Wonder what damages could look like for something like this. Pretty hard to get out of this kind of thing when everyone you colluded with rolls over on you.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

Cooperating was probably cheaper than not cooperating.

Damages? Lawyers first, consumers second.

Mestevo:

Problem is it impacted pricing in the overall industry in an upward fashion and forced Amazon into an agency model rather than the wholesale model they were using before. So how does one place a $$$ amount on that.

Interesting times to say the least.

Mestevo:

Problem is it impacted pricing in the overall industry in an upward fashion and forced Amazon into an agency model rather than the wholesale model they were using before. So how does one place a $$$ amount on that.

Interesting times to say the least.

Agreed. For all the criticisms one can lobby against Amazon, on ebooks they have been a champion of $9.99 ebooks for years. I still get annoyed with the high prices on many Kindle titles. I view the culprit here as Apple AND the book publishers. We'll see what happens.

I understand apple appealing but wonder if it is a good idea.

They could end up under court supervision for years if the judge thinks they have not "got the message".

Punishment proposed: http://allthingsd.com/20130802/doj-calls-for-apple-to-end-book-deals-link-to-rival-bookstores/?mod=atdtweet

Following a court decision last month that found Apple illegally conspired to fix e-book prices, the United States Department of Justice and 33 state attorneys-general proposed the remedies they say will end the activities of which the company was found guilty and restore competition to the market.

If approved by a court, the DOJ’s proposal will require Apple to …
?

• … terminate its e-book deals with Hachette Book Group, HarperCollins Publishers, Macmillan, Penguin and Simon & Schuster
  • … refrain for five years from entering new e-book distribution deals which would free it from having to compete on price.
  • … allow for two years rival e-book retailers like Amazon and Barnes & Noble to provide links from their e-book apps to their own e-bookstores without paying any fee or commission to Apple on sales made through them.
  • … refrain from entering into agreements with other providers of music, movies, TV shows or books that might increase the prices at which rival retailers sell that content.
  • … appoint, and pay for, an external monitor to ensure that its internal antitrust compliance policies are sufficient and rigorously observed.

The proposed remedies are essentially those the DOJ said it would seek when it brought its suit against Apple.

My gut says this will get litigated on appeal for years. No way Amazon will be selling directly from their Kindle app on iPhone anytime soon.

Judge has declined to withdraw the effect of her ruling while Apple appeals.

http://www.engadget.com/2013/08/09/...tter&utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_campaign=Engadget

Also, the co-defendants that settled and rolled over on Apple have taken up their side in calling for different/less penalties because the punishment against Apple conflicts with their own settlement, which allows them to still use the agency model, something Apple's punishment prevents.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)