Apple IPAD Owner's Thread

pro96 said:
just use the camera kit as pictured

and hookup a normal usb cable to it and using Ifile app plus I believe its gotta be jailbroken to werk

Thanks for testing this out. I was planning to get one anyway.

For Dish Network Subscribers:

DISH Network Introduces World's First DVR Scheduler App Optimized for the Apple iPad
12:07p ET August 5, 2010 (PR NewsWire)

DISH Network L.L.C., the fastest-growing pay-TV provider in America, today announced a free app for the Apple iPad: DISH Remote Access. DISH Remote Access is the first and only app from a TV service provider specifically designed for the iPad that allows users to control their televisions and manage their programming remotely.

To view the multimedia assets associated with this release, please click DISH Network Introduces World's First DVR Scheduler App Optimized for the Apple iPad -- ENGLEWOOD, Colo., Aug. 5 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ --

Similar to the version available for the iPhone and iPod touch, DISH Remote Access for the iPad is a fully-featured remote DVR scheduler that provides DISH Network customers with complete access to all DVR functions and features. Users can schedule DVR recordings on multiple receivers, delete timers, browse and search nine days of shows, and manage their DVR libraries by setting recording priorities, resolving recording conflicts and deleting programs they have already watched. The DISH Remote Access app is compatible with most DISH Network SD and HD DVR receivers including the ViP 922, the world's only DVR with built-in Sling technology.

"At DISH Network, we are excited about the potential of tablet computers - like the Apple iPad - to enhance the TV viewing experience and enable consumers to remain connected to their TVs everywhere," said Vivek Khemka, vice president of Customer Technology for DISH Network.

I got the app a few days ago. When it works, it works OK and certainly easier to use than the iPhone/Touch version. But the site seems a bit flakey at seeing my 722k on the internet.

just use the camera kit as pictured

iPad_Camera_Conn_4bbb6fcbc1af6.jpg

and hookup a normal usb cable to it and using Ifile app plus I believe its gotta be jailbroken to werk

My camera kit finally arrived today. It was B/O almost a month and the store always said they were sold out.

I got good results with my htc TP2 camera for still pictures. While it did import the MP4 video from the phone it would not play it nor were the video files visible in the Video app. There may be another way but so far all I get is a little image with MP4 in the center. One thing I had to do is go into the phone's power app and check the box that says do not charge through USB when connected to the PC. Otherwise I got an error message in the ipad.

I tried it with my Sony Video camera with USB output. I had loads of high res stills on the camera's memory stick and it recognized all them immediately and imported them to the ipad.

I tried the SD card reader and this was a bit tricky. I had to put the images in a folder. It did not recognize them on the root. I called the folder DCIM because that is the same folder name used on my camera which it did recognize.

My older Canon still camera is CF and the USB CF card reader imports these images fine.

USB hard drive works for images as long as the USB drive has it's own power source.

It will not recognize the little spy camera but I am importing the video clips as AVI's to the ipad by removing the micro SD card and using an SD adapter, connecting it to the ipad. Once I imported the avi file to the ipad it can be played in the photo ap nicely. This was a huge success for me because the avi is not standard and it was a real problem playing it on my PC without conversion. I'll have to look into the cell phone to see if it will do other video formats because it seems the MP4 is not able to play on the ipad.

Hulu Plus on the iPad works fine, but there is lots of Hulu's content that isn't available. I found that out today while playing around on the 'net and looking at various video site, including Dishonline.com

Yet another reason that Hulu Plus isn't worth paying for, imo. The other being that except on the iPad, the video is not good at all.

Saw my first student with an ipad; a freshman had it in class yesterday, and used it to take notes during my lecture. I told him I want to know how easy it is for him to take notes. I'll be curious to see if he'll be using it throughout the semester.

Don Landis said:
Hopefully, he knows to turn off the sound clicks as he types. :D
That's the first thing that came to my mind, too! I used my wife's iPod Touch to take notes during a presentation and I realized right away the "click-click-click" was going to get me shuffled out of there.

One of our Safety Managers is waiting for his camera kit to arrive. He plans on taking pictures during the Safety Walks and upload them to the iPad in the field.

Saw my first student with an ipad; a freshman had it in class yesterday, and used it to take notes during my lecture. I told him I want to know how easy it is for him to take notes. I'll be curious to see if he'll be using it throughout the semester.

I have the camera kit, so yesterday I tried plugging an Apple USB keyboard in there. It failed, with the ipad putting up a dialog box that the keyboard was drawing too much power so wouldn't be supported.

I guess if a keyboard draws too much power, most everything will be locked out. However, it gets me wondering if it would work if I used a powered hub. I did a quick search and discovered hat a few brave souls have managed to get Bluetooth keyboards to work, and one company is already marketing a BT keyboard/case combo. Kind of too bad, as I am sure the Bluetooth link will draw more power than a keyboard would have out the USB port.

jayn_j said:
I have the camera kit, so yesterday I tried plugging an Apple USB keyboard in there. It failed, with the ipad putting up a dialog box that the keyboard was drawing too much power so wouldn't be supported.

I guess if a keyboard draws too much power, most everything will be locked out. However, it gets me wondering if it would work if I used a powered hub. I did a quick search and discovered hat a few brave souls have managed to get Bluetooth keyboards to work, and one company is already marketing a BT keyboard/case combo. Kind of too bad, as I am sure the Bluetooth link will draw more power than a keyboard would have out the USB port.

I tried an old BT keyboard I had here and it worked but I don't see the advantage. The camera kit is pretty amazing accessory. I had mine on backorder for about 3 weeks. What I really like is it works with both my Sony sr12 video camera and my htc tp2 cell phone camera. Nothing is live feed display, all I've gotten it to do it download the stored video and images to the iPad for a slide show or video playback.

Has anyone tried to play a *.mov yet with the camera kit import?

Seems the only video I've been able to play have been avi's You'd think Apple ipad would support mov videos. What am I doing wrong here?

I picked up my 3G Ipad Friday, I am impressed!
Didn't have much time this weekend to spend with it, so far I synced my touch apps to it and have just added a remote desktop free app that seems to work decent so far.
I will have to shop for a case early this week and keep searching for more apps.

The cases from Apple that are so popular now seem to be in stock everywhere around here. The do a good job of protecting the ipad plus enable several way to stand it up for use. The only thing I wish I had on mine is a shoulder strap and a pocket that I could remove to carry the charger and a pair of small ear buds. I may try to make something but the pocket, I will attempt to velcro on so it can be completely removed when not needed.

More good news- Looking forward to this:

Apple to introduce wireless printing for iPad
12:31p ET September 15, 2010 (MarketWatch)
SAN FRANCISCO (MarketWatch) -- Apple said Wednesday it is releasing a beta version of its AirPrint wireless printing for iPad, iPhone and iPod touch to members of Apple's iOS developer program. The program will also be included in the free iOS 4.2 software update in November. "AirPrint automatically finds printers on local networks and can print text, photos and graphics to them wirelessly over Wi-Fi without the need to install drivers or download software," said Apple in a statement. Hewlett-Packard's ePrint enabled printers will be the first to support printing direct from iOS devices.

While there have been wifi printer apps in the past for the ipad they did not work very well. I wasted some money on two of them and finally gave up.

The plan is for ipad and any device runing iOS4.2 to print to a stand alone printer that supports "ePrint". However, if your printer is not ePrint capable, you can still use the new iOS print feature by accessing your printer shared through a MAC or PC on your network.

Last edited:
If only the ones entitled to talk, knew WTF they were talking about. Unfortunately - they don't.
The paraphrase that was used in the WSJ wasn't really an accurate reflection of what Brian said to the reporter.

What Best Buy CEO Brian Dunn said was that we had no firm numbers, but that we speculated
there was some replacement of netbooks by iPads going on
. We did not provide specifics because
we do not presently have the hard numbers on which to base those specifics.
iPad has halved laptop sales, claims Best Buy CEO (update: he meant netbooks) -- Engadget

Diogen.

Welll, here's a personal statistic to support the laptop sales impact. Last night my wife's Dell laptop died. It sits on all the time in the kitchen except when she takes it on trips, rarely. She says she wants an ipad since all she uses it for is personal e-mail, surf the web for coupons and play solitaire. She wants the ipad with dock station. We do need to test out one application first though. She said she needs to display excel and PPT files. We'll be looking at apps to do that in the next week or so.

Another laptop sale bites the dust due to the ipad!

Yes but while I've done it with the ipad using 3rd party ap, it isn't easy; not something she'd be happy about. I'm hoping the new OS upgrade makes this an easy process.

Besides, I'm on hold for this purchase again since I repaired her Dell last night! Her response was, So that means I'm not getting a new ipad for the Kitchen? :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 3)

Latest posts