Apple IPAD Owner's Thread

Yeah, bandwidth to an ipad is much greater than the same file downloaded to a laptop. Sure I believe that. :)

As for Universities, this reminds me of years ago when the first calculators came out and the Princton U Bookstore got 10 of them in and the University Dean banned sales to students. Only University tenured Profs could buy one. However, the bookstore sold out to the public in one day. I was one who drove to the store to get one. As I left a number of students tried to buy it from me. Universities love new stuff, but they are far more conservative in approving the new stuff for use by their students.

Israel- I'm surprised they would let any Apple products be sold in Israel. I would not be surprised if the Pope would declare Apple products also forbidden among Catholics.

For those who were waiting for the next version: This just in from ZDNet:

April 20th, 2010
Apple iPad Wi-Fi + 3G now available April 30 in U.S.

Posted by Andrew Nusca @ 6:09 am

In a turnaround from my coblogger Rachel King’s post yesterday reporting that Apple’s 3G-equipped iPad would be available May 7, Apple on Tuesday announced that it would now be available April 30.

Officially, the iPad will also be available in Apple’s retail stores the same day, starting at 5:00 p.m.

Strangely, the Apple Store still indicates a shipping date of May 7.

Apple says its retail stores will offer a free personal setup service to every customer who buys an iPad at the store. Apple retail stores in the U.S. are also hosting special iPad workshops to help customers learn more about the device.

As a reminder, the iPad is available in the following models:

Wi-Fi-only models:

* $499 for 16GB
* $599 for 32GB
* $699 for 64GB

Wi-Fi + 3G models:

* $629 for 16GB
* $729 for 32GB
* $829 for 64GB

AT&T is the carrier of choice for the 3G models, and prepaid data plans will be available for $14.99 (250MB cap) and $29.99 (unlimited).

The iPad will be available at the end of May in Australia, Canada, France, Germany, Italy, Japan, Spain, Switzerland and the UK. International pricing will be announced on May 10.

Yeah, bandwidth to an ipad is much greater than the same file downloaded to a laptop. Sure I believe that. :)
It's a numbers game, Don. No one believed that iPhone users would consume anywhere near the bandwidth that they do. I think there is a fear that the same thing could happen with a device like the iPad. I don't expect the university bans to last very long unless they're holding out for kickbacks from Apple.

I wonder if Best Buy will have the 3G version in-store on April 30th?

Also, is anyone buying the AppleCare Protection Plan ($99) with their iPad?

Bob

Two of the bans (and the ban in Israel) are for security reasons, not bandwidth... but instead how the ipad DHCP client continues to use the same IP even after the lease has expired (apparently a bug in this OS version) and something about WSU's network won't allow current ipad and iphones authenticate on the network and is expected to be more than a year before it's resolved.

If other devices aren't having problems with these networks it's clearly another case of Apple trying to do things their own way.

Princeton, George Washington University ban iPads from networks

Princeton hasn't banned them completely, but instead is banning them 1 at a time until a fix is available from Apple.

meStevo- They said in the article it was with iphones too. What appears to be a bug in the OS 3.2. And, yes, Apple does most stuff their own way. Part of the reason they are successful since enough people want that way. Bugs are different, and I'm sure Apple will get it fixed.

Thanks, Eva. I'll have to look into an ap that can do that on my TP2.

digiblur? You copy this? Any ideas?

I know in the aftermarket ROMs it is pre-installed. I just slide over to the wireless controls tab, hit WiFi Router to ON and that's it. It turns on the WiFi and makes a wireless hot spot. The app is actually made by HTC themselves, Verizon, Sprint, AT&T, etc just left it out ;)

I know you can install it manually with a cab, I will see if I can find it.

I'm guessing you are looking for something like this...

Attachments

• Screen01.png
    Screen01.png
    220.2 KB · Views: 485
  • Screen02.png
    Screen02.png
    54.7 KB · Views: 159
  • Screen03.png
    Screen03.png
    34.8 KB · Views: 146
  • Screen05.png
    Screen05.png
    23.8 KB · Views: 130
I love Google!

I'm on a wifi router connection right now with the iPad. It is using a free CAB called Mobile Wifi Router. Located at pocketpcfreeware.mobi.

It only uses WEP but the install and configuration was super easy. The installed program appears in the communications section of systems.

Speed seems about the same as my TP2 naked.

Who need a G3 iPad?

Don get a program called PDANET.

Turns your phone into a mobile hotspot. :)

I have PDAnet. it was suggested to me by Verizon tech support, believe it or not. However, the one I have only connects via USB or BT. I use it with USB but with this new wifi I may use it more unless I need higher security. WEP is not very secure as you know.

Let me know if the PDAnet for iPhone has the wifi. Just curious.

Got to use an ipad finally today at an Apple Store (first time I've been in one actually) and half the sites I went to didn't work right because of lack of Flash support... NFL.com, Justin.TV, my old wow guild's website (flash menu).

Impressed with speed, but not much else, especially Apple's vision of a flash-less internet. I've run into a lot of people at this conference im at that have ipads with them and no laptops... the ipad makes a really good hard surface for the pad and pen they had to use to take notes with, I'll have to ask one of them if I can take a picture of that tomorrow if I see someone doing that, was kinda funny.

Digiblur

Do you know if there is a newer version that supports WPA encryption?

No can do on that... it is an Adhoc connection and WPA is not supported on Adhoc. You can only hang one device off it at a time, but I guess someone could snoop on the traffic. They would have to be really close to you though, as much like the iPad, the HTC phone's Wifi is not that strong.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 3)