Apple Patent: Display scaling based on distance from device.

John Kotches

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Nov 21, 2003
Troy, IL (STL Area)
This is a really good patent that was granted to Apple...

Scale the content based on face detection/proximity detection. The intent is to keep the content a comfortable / optimal size regardless of the distance.

Here's the article on engadget.

Cheers,

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using Tapatalk HD

Last edited:
How about an 'I have bad eyes but refuse to wear glasses' patent in which the device adjust font/image size and resulution based on the squint-level and dumbfounded look on my face. Well, that or repeatedly yell at me to put on my glasses. ;)

Sorry, this was a patent filing not a granted patent.

It doesn't take away from the fact that it's a great idea.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using Tapatalk HD

It could have funny side effects... You move the iPhone/iPad/etc closer to see something small on the screen and it gets smaller and smaller as you try to get closer and closer...

Mike,

Isn't that what pitch to zoom is for?

Sent from my MB855 using Tapatalk 2

Yes I know, but it seems like a needless patent, I manually resize things all the time as needed, I just was visualizing new users not being able to control the zoom and getting frustrated.

mike:

It may not ever be implemented -- this is the patent for potentially doing something like this.

I was already there, being caught in a "zoom loop" but I suspect there are some limits coded in so as not to avoid that problem.

You spread your two fingers to zoom in ( larger) and pinch to zoom out (Smaller). But regardless of that, the feature is application dependent on the ipad. I would just prefer it be iOS dependent so the feature is available all the time. Some apps I go to zoom in and discover to my disappointment it doesn't work.

The proximity detection seems like a cute idea but I doubt I would use it much.

What probably would be more useful is font size detection and it knowing what your preferred minimum font size was and auto zoomed to it.

This filing is just so Apple can sue other manufacturers for ACTUALLY implementing this feature. These type of filings don't require one bit of proof that it is actually working on an apple device.

This filing is just so Apple can sue other manufacturers for ACTUALLY implementing this feature. These type of filings don't require one bit of proof that it is actually working on an apple device.

Filing establishes prior art. Even if there's no patent granted, no one else can patent it either. When I was at IBM you were rewarded more for the initial filing than the actual grant. LER can say whether that's still the case.

Filing establishes prior art. Even if there's no patent granted, no one else can patent it either. When I was at IBM you were rewarded more for the initial filing than the actual grant. LER can say whether that's still the case.
I'm not sure, but I do know the filing as well as grant is worth money to the inventor. (@IBM). I'll see if I can find something I can quote (that's not IBM confidential)

I'm not sure, but I do know the filing as well as grant is worth money to the inventor. (@IBM). I'll see if I can find something I can quote (that's not IBM confidential)

Yes. Now imagine you were one of the guys that patented GMR and related patents :)

Sent from my MB855 using Tapatalk 2

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)