Apple's Worst Security Breach: 114,000 iPad Owners Exposed

Gawker's headlines are pretty misleading. This is an AT&T issue.

Yeah really more like a combination of both.. But Apple can be very misleading about how secure their things are as well.

The article correctly states its an AT&T breach that affected the iPad. However it also stated that Apple bears some responsibility in that they require owners of the 3G to use AT&T so they bear the responsibility too.

Glad I use Verizon 3G with my ipad. :)

To each their own but that seems to defeat the purpose of a device like the iPad.

Why? It is not like you can make cell phone calls with the iPad. The majority of the iPad owners still carry two devices around (iPad and Cell Phone).

Why? It is not like you can make cell phone calls with the iPad. The majority of the iPad owners still carry two devices around (iPad and Cell Phone).

Just does not seem right to me to havea prtable device that requires a second device to perform. But again to eavh his own.

Geronimo-

Jag72 is correct on how it's done. In my case, I have my PDA phone on my belt all the time. Sometimes I will carry my ipad with me outside my home base wifi zone. So, when I do that and need to do something like access my desktop or just surf the net with a bigger screen, the ipad is what I use but to do that, All I need to do is open an app on my cell phone that activates a wifi hotspot from my belt cased PDA. It is secure with WPA encryption. Now I just launch any internet required app from the ipad. The ipad finds it and launches automatically. Not only is it a lower cost method than buying an ipad 3G and subscribing to AT&T, but it doesn't suffer the increased battery drain on my ipad like the 3G ipad does.
In fact, sometimes I need to use my laptop because it does some things my ipad can't do like file transfer protocols and maintain my webcasts on my server. I do the same thing with my laptop, tether the laptop to my cell phone. Would you say the same thing about my laptop?

Understand this- the ipad requires internet for some things and it's access is via wifi. Whether that access is via a router to my Cable company or from a public wifi hotspot, or from my cell phone router, it always requires some external service to get internet.

On my last trip I did I had to carry my laptop for only one purpose the ipad could not do. I had to download some files from the internet and print them on my portable inkjet printer. I also had to carry a Canon BJC-85 printer. No way to print from the ipad to that printer.

My laptop used to have it's own internal verizon 3G radio but that cost $59 per month for unlimited. I cancelled the account and now just tether the laptop. Lower cost and just as good. In fact better because now I can use wifi router to tether more than just the laptop to my cell phone.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)