APPs

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

odbrv

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Nov 21, 2004
Lubbock, Tx
Why are there so few apps ? You would think they would at least have a HBO/MAX app . Att owns both.

Yes hopefully with new company we will get more interactive apps .

And a voice remote . I remember beta testing multi room dvr back in 2009 , and genie 2 has been out for a while . Feel we need more innovation lol

Custom mix channel, sports betting app like E* something lol

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

And a voice remote . I remember beta testing multi room dvr back in 2009 , and genie 2 has been out for a while . Feel we need more innovation lol

The only thing you are going to get from the new company is an accelerated shut down

DTV's hardware does look increasingly dated, especially with regard to its lack of streaming apps compared to current offerings from DISH, Comcast Xfinity, etc. I guess it's possible the new company invests money to bring out a new generation of DTV receivers with popular apps but that seems unlikely. Because if a customer wants streaming apps, it means he has broadband. And if he has broadband, well, they already have a solution for you in the form of AT&T TV (or whatever the new DirecTV company renames it to), which has a custom box with voice remote, Google Assistant built in, and access to tons of Android TV apps. And pretty much the same channel packages as DTV, but cheaper.

Only way I could see them bringing apps to DTV is if they made the AT&T TV Android TV box work as a client receiver in conjunction with a DBS server like the HS17 (i.e. Genie 2). In fact, language in the original user manual submitted to the FCC with the AT&T TV box a few years ago suggested that that may have been the plan.

Reactions: Jimbo and dtv757
Personally my hunch is that Directv has tried to avoid having good support for apps because they know supporting Netflix and Amazon Prime would hurt their sales of on-demand/PPV movies.

A long time ago you could search YouTube via the directv search menu

Personally my hunch is that Directv has tried to avoid having good support for apps because they know supporting Netflix and Amazon Prime would hurt their sales of on-demand/PPV movies.
I think it's simply that by the time there was a real need for streaming apps on DTV receivers, AT&T had bought the company. And their long-term master plan from the get-go was to essentially blend DTV and Uverse TV together into something that would work over any internet connection -- what would ultimately come to market (with simpler hardware and much later than originally anticipated) as AT&T TV. Read this article from way back in 2015, just after AT&T bought DTV:

I think AT&T's plans had always been to shift their viewers toward the internet. I just don't think they saw the need to bring out a new generation of DBS-only hardware with apps, or to try to get apps on DTV receivers like the HR44, HR54 or C61.

Reactions: Jimbo

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts