Archaic credit card update process

ClarkGable

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 23, 2010
NW Ohio
So we received our new credit cards, and I went to update them on Netflix and on Dish. This task was very quick and extremely easy to do on Nextflix website. Dish was another story.

You can tell that this is my first experience with changing a credit card expiration date on a Dish autopay account. After 12 years of paying by mail, we had to go to paperless autopay to get the free HD for life 2 years ago. At least our obligation is up.

Even though we were dinged for our most recent auto-payment just 9 days ago, Dish said I had to "zero balance" by making next month's payment before I could update the card's expiration date. Nothing in my account would change but the card's expiration date. I tried to make that @!#$ payment online at Dish's site so I could change the expiration date. This was unsuccessful - same message kept popping up even after I clicked submit.

So I ended up calling Dish, talking to some guy in India who didn't speak English all that well (big shock there), and was so ticked at this archaic, inflexible Dish accounting system (or maybe it is just some bizarre, hare-brained policy) that I was ready to cancel. We have been Dish subs for 14 years. As the Indian transfers me to someone who will close our account, the wife starts begging me not to pull the plug. After about 10 minutes on hold first with some soft music, then very loud music, I get a rather nice young man from somewhere in the US on the phone who says pretty much what the Indian said. He further says the card will not be dinged in June, I won't have another auto-payment until July, the auto-payment date won't change, etc. Of course, he still is required to process the "balance" of a month's payment to zero out the account. To keep some marital harmony, we still have Dish.

For a high-tech company to have such a painful process just to change the lousy expiration date of the credit card on file is beyond belief!! You can bet ACSI hasn't asked anyone who has gone through this process if they are happy with Dish's customer service.

Thanks for the opportunity to vent. :rant:

Hi, I am so sorry that you had to go through all of this to just change the expiration date on your credit card. DISH does require us to take a payment when changing any credit card information on an account. It verifies that the information is correct but I am sorry that we were unable to offer you any options on how to make this change. I will be happy to pass your feedback along and if there is anything that we can assist you please just let us know. Thank you!

I feel your pain. Been there. Done that.
The longer you stay the more likely you are to find the weak link: Senior Management (and I use the term "management" loosely) are not worth the powder to...

But I say nothing;)

There are thousands of great folks working for Dish so don't blame "the company" when it is really just a few old fools who stick their fingers in the pot and stir everything up.

The great majority of time you will find thoughtful help when you call. But money isn't something "underlings" have the authority to fiddle with.

This frightens me as I'm due to have to change my CC info in the next month. Can any DIRT members offer any tips on how to make the process less painful as in an ideal time to do it before or after your regular autopay charge, etc.?

Hmmm ? Never had a problem. went to the site, deleted current card and registered new card. Next bill was correct.

Same here, although it's been a few years since I've done it. I wonder if they've become stupider in the interim.

It's simple, when you get your new card with a new expiration date, go into your Dish account and make the change. Do it right before your bill is due. All is well......

I went through the same hassle a couple of years ago when I updated the expiry date on my Credit Card. I pay all my bills online and no other company I use has a policy as stupid as this. One helpful Dish employ finally told me you can make the change without paying the next month's balance if you update the card RIGHT AFTER Dish processes your current payment on your current card, BEFORE your next bill is generated. It's a very short window & this does require some advance prep on the part of the customer. In the end, the burden & inconvenience here is unnecessarily on you and it should not be. Companies should always put the customer first and listen to our suggestions. It is, after all, us who keep them in business. WE don't need Dish, but Dish needs us!

Dish: Change this customer "unfriendly" policy!!

I had the credit card I use for autopay replaced with a new one - new # and expiration date - last month. Apparently, credit card companies do this from time to time as a fraud protection measure. Anyway, can't say when I did it in relation to my billing date, but I did it online and there wasn't an immediate charge to the credit card. For the month after the credit card info change, I received my usual emails at the usual time notifying me of the bill and the autopay charge. By the way, it is my understanding that if you change your credit card info over the phone with Dish, they charge you $5 for the "service".

If Dish does immediately charge the new credit card in some instances to test the validity of the new info, I suggest they charge a $1 deposit, send an email stating that, then either immediately refund the $1 charge with a credit or apply it to the next month's bill. Dish has an interest in determining the new credit card info is valid. They don't need to charge a full month's service to ascertain that fact.

DISH does waive the $5.00 fee when updating auto-pay credit card information. I was not clear earlier, if the account shows an amount due, the system will force the payment. So I do normally have customers make the changes close to the due date or right after to avoid the forced payment issue.

DISH isn't the only company that requires a zero balance before allowing an update of credit card info.

I canceled on March 3rd, after I had already made a payment 2-weeks earlier and received credits after the DISH UPS Labels were deducted. Then in April, I received another Bill with another credit due me, that also reflected what credits I'd received via my bank account. I never received the Credit displayed as owed to me by May. I then contacted Dish & via a recorded line where I work, an ERT Rep advised me that if I hadn't called, I would've never received that credit back (so she says). I advised the Rep those beeps in the background were from a recorded line from where I work (credit fraud investigator for cc company) at which time she proceeded to process the refund.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

Last edited:
Many times the companys will just update the expiration date automatically. Most companies know that the cards expire every 1-3 years, so if your card expires 5/12, they can pretty much guess that the new expiration date will be either 5/13 5/14 or 5/15.

Besides that, if a company doesn't do that they will just call and bug the crap out of you as the expiration date is nearing.

Many times the companys will just update the expiration date automatically. Most companies know that the cards expire every 1-3 years, so if your card expires 5/12, they can pretty much guess that the new expiration date will be either 5/13 5/14 or 5/15.

Besides that, if a company doesn't do that they will just call and bug the crap out of you as the expiration date is nearing.

I think that, maybe, the credit card companies are getting wise to that. My credit union changed my month from April to February as an example. That would cause the automatic change to fail..... I think that is a good thing. It prevents charges that I may not want, like maybe I decided to go elsewhere for my services....

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts