ARCHOS 605 WiFi and 705 WiFi Portable Media Players to Connect With DISH Receivers

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
To use an external hard drive and an Archos device make sure the external HD is powered off. Then hook up your Archos 605 or 705. the receiver will recognioze the device and allow you to transfer. I have a pocket dish 700E, my 622 will work fine with both connected as long as the Ext HD is powered off.

Archos has the sofware on the online site it's called a widget. go to downloads the choose widgets
I think the Archos webmaster must be bumbling around. It's now where it belongs, under the Gen 5 plug-ins here. Holy smokes! According to that link,
This plug-in is free for DISH Network Customers.

On a related topic, does anybody know why this PocketDish replacement will only work with a 622/722? (I have a 625, and I don't CARE how long it might take!)

And speaking of "free", wouldn't this plug-in automatically get you the Cinema plug-in (normally $20) functionality as well?

And (referring to Scott's link) it seems the Archos 405 is also supported. (Note that the 405 has no hdd; a 16GB SDHD is the best you can do.)

Betrayed by Disk

I bought a 604 because I thought this would be out last year. This totally sucks!!!! Chuck you betrayed me!

FYI the plug-in is DRM software so the Cinema Plug-In would not apply. So if you are only play E* content you probably dont need it.

Regards,

Update - my problem was solved. I actually did a full factory reinitialization - goodbye files - with no luck. The solution for the rebooting receiver problem (if anyone else has it) is this - delete the system folder from your Archos in PC hard drive mode on your computer, and go from there. It was some software problem that even the reformat did not fix. Seeing that green progress bar made my day!

Boy, I've talked to tech support from both camps with no ideas. I tried disconnecting my Seagate hard drive right away - but I still get the 851 error - too many usb devices connected. Is there some way to force the 722 or 622 to believe no USB devices are hooked up? I can't move content to my 605 or 705 on either the 622 or 722 without it first telling me I have too many USB devices (error 851), and then locking up and rebooting when I start the transfer or click on manage device - same deal with photos. Latest firmware on all devices involved. I used an original Pocketdish once upon a time with my 622, perhaps it still thinks that it's hooked up in memory? I'm really feeling sorry for myself on this one, still no one else with this problem? :(

Last edited:
I bought a 604 because I thought this would be out last year. This totally sucks!!!!
I'm a 404CC owner and I feel your pain. The 405 is no replacement for the 404 since it has no hdd (nor camera). :(
FYI the plug-in is DRM software so the Cinema Plug-In would not apply.
Would you expand on that comment a bit? My remark about not needing the Cinema plug-in was in regards to the fact that Dish programming that you transfer to an Archos is mpeg-2, not mpeg-4. You couldn't watch any Dish programming on your Archos x05 if it's Cinema plug-in weren't implicitly enabled by the Dish plug-in.

Looks like you and I are having this conversation in two Archos threads....

I was not able to transfer HD content nor SD copy-protected content (Flags of Our Fathers - HBO).

What exactly are we allowed to transfer from the 622 to the 605?

The only thing I had left on my DVR was The Tin Man. I had wacth all the other programs. I have not attempted to download from the movie channels.
I get a lot of my content from VONGO.COM. Which is a movie download
service for 9.99 a month. A lot of good old movies and some of the new
ones also.

Just for grins, I recorded an hour episode (SD) of Law and Order SVU on the 622 and it transferred to the 605 in about 6 1/2 minutes. Picture quality excellent as usual on the 605.

You can record 622 HD Dish content to the 605 using the Archos DVR Docking Station (a must accessory IMO). I mean it's not really HD (it's S-Video), but it's truly amazing PQ. You can schedule the 622 to tune to a show and the 605 to record the output at the same time. Or you can play back a movie you previously recorded in HD on the 622 and just hit the Record button on the 605. Just before I bought the 605, I recorded Eric Clapton's Crossroads off PBS HD to the 622. I tested the DVR Docking Station and 605 recorder while watching this show for the first time. Awesome sound and PQ!

To me, the Dish plugin is merely a time-saver with a couple of major limitations. I'm glad it's free. So if you still want "HD" and/or HBO copy-protected movies on the 605, get the Archos DVR Docking Station and record in "real-time".

Last edited:
I'm a 404CC owner and I feel your pain. The 405 is no replacement for the 404 since it has no hdd (nor camera). :(
Would you expand on that comment a bit? My remark about not needing the Cinema plug-in was in regards to the fact that Dish programming that you transfer to an Archos is mpeg-2, not mpeg-4. You couldn't watch any Dish programming on your Archos x05 if it's Cinema plug-in weren't implicitly enabled by the Dish plug-in.

The Plug In is most likely a proprietary DRM format. The 622/722 may be able to display MPEG2 but that does not mean that is what you get on the Archos. MPEG2 does not support Copy Protection. For the guys who have this working plug the Archos into the PC in "Hard Disk" mode and try to play the file(s). It should fail. The Plug In is a codec, a DRM codec.

To suggest an answer to that poster who could only copy SOME files it is totally possible E* is using the "Broadcast Flag" which means certain content may be disallowed from being copied. This is decided by the broadcaster NOT by E*

Welcome to the world of Digital Rights Management.

Regards

HBO/Cinemax

I just tried to transfer Flag of our Fathers over to my 605 and it would not allow???? Any suggestions??? According to the dish website, you should be able to transfer over, but you just wouldn't be able to watch it on your 622 while it is transfered to your Archos. What gives?

I just tried to transfer Flag of our Fathers over to my 605 and it would not allow???? Any suggestions??? According to the dish website, you should be able to transfer over, but you just wouldn't be able to watch it on your 622 while it is transfered to your Archos. What gives?

It won't let you transfer copy protected movies from HBO or maybe other premium channels. You will have to buy the DVR docking station to record it instead if you want to see it on your 605.

okay guys, i have the newest upto date firmware on my archos 605 wifi, problem is now i ells me i need to register it with archos.com i goto their site enter email and choose password click send but i never get the confirmation email

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts