Archos Generation 5 Personal Media Player (PMP) coming this fall

Stargazer

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 7, 2003
Western WV
Archos Generation 5 Personal Media Player (PMP) coming this fall – Just in time for the selling season, we are bringing back the Personal Media Player (PMP) to take your great DISH Network content on the go. The Archos Generation 5 PMPs will be available in November in time for the holidays.

o Additional Information:

- These next-generation PMPs will work with the ViP622 DVR and ViP722 DVR receivers and operate similar to the PocketDISH.

- These PMPs will not be DISH Network branded as was PocketDISH, and will not come pre-loaded with software to work with DISH Network receivers. Customers will need to go to the Archos web site (ARCHOS) and download the software (for a one-time fee) to the PMP.

- Three new models of the PMP will be released (pricing has not yet been determined).

- Multiple memory sizes will be available.

Have you seen or heard anything about being able to download HD recorded shows? Anything about whether they will be speedy like the PD was with SD (10min~ per hour)?

Given that they only mention 622/722 receivers, and given that the 622/722 receivers are the only ones currently to operate with an EHD, and given the fact that the 622/722 transfer is pathetically slow (most likely due to 622/722 encryption on the fly), I hereby predict that the new Archos gen 5 will be about as slow as the EHD. :p

i thought they were already available ARCHOS
The hardware may be available but have you seen anything that indicates a Dish plugin is available? Without that and a matching 6/722 software fix there is no chance of Dish to Archos downloads.

Given that they only mention 622/722 receivers, and given that the 622/722 receivers are the only ones currently to operate with an EHD, and given the fact that the 622/722 transfer is pathetically slow
My experience is the opposite. I can download a two hour SD show to my AV700 in about eight or nine minutes.

I can download a two hour SD show to my AV700 in about eight or nine minutes.
Very interesting. Could you mention which receiver you have, and whether or not you have tried the external storage option? And while you're at it, can you verify that the SD program on your AV700 is or is not encrypted?

Very interesting. Could you mention which receiver you have, and whether or not you have tried the external storage option? And while you're at it, can you verify that the SD program on your AV700 is or is not encrypted?
I have a 622 and EHD is enabled but the PD worked before that software update and nothing has changed since. The AV700 disk is in a Microsoft format. I can't recall if it's NTFS or FAT32 but I think it's FAT32. And the movies ARE encrypted. These old jobs all can connect to a PC and be used as an EHD.

And I don't know what you know of these old models but they are totally Archos with a Dish logo and a software plugin for 522, 622, and 722 interfacing. The Archos model version of my Pd is AV700 where mine is identified at AV700E (for Echostar)

One more thing occurred to me. As I remember it, the PD copies the files just as they are on the DVR and I know that the files are encrypted on 5/6/722 DVRs and also that a movie downloaded to the PD can't be uploaded to any DVR. It's strictly one way.

I don't know if by using a computer if you moved a file from one E* PD to another E* PD whether it can be played or not but I suspect it could(as long as the second PD had the E* software plugin).

Where did you get the news release about Dish Network? I went out to the main website and they show all the PocketDish players sold out and nothing about any replacements.

The Gen 5 players went on sale in September. With an HD add on the 605WiFi will be capable of playing HD at 720p/24 fps.

Where did you get the news release about Dish Network? I went out to the main website and they show all the PocketDish players sold out and nothing about any replacements.

The Gen 5 players went on sale in September. With an HD add on the 605WiFi will be capable of playing HD at 720p/24 fps.
"New PocketDish units are coming The Archos 705 and 605 (in 30gb and 160 gb sizes), they will no longer call them PocketDish units. There will be more details on these units on next months retailer chat. They will be available for the Holiday season."

near the bottom of this thread:

http://www.satelliteguys.us/dish-ne...tivity-discussion-week-ending-10-20-07-a.html

I had reported a problem a while ago. If you attempt to download several programs at a time, the time it takes is longer than downloading bits at a time and sometimes it hangs. I tried downloading five programs on my AV 700 using my 622. The PocketDish basically hung. I updated firmware, etc., with no good result. Now I download a program or two at a time and it take 5-7 minutes.

So much for my prognostications; I stand corrected.
As I remember it, the PD copies the files just as they are on the DVR and I know that the files are encrypted on 5/6/722 DVRs...

The "just as they are" part jibes with your speed reports. But according to the Dishrip group, most files (save HBO/Cinemax HD) are not encrypted on the internal disk. Early in the life of the PD, they weren't encrypted on the PD either. I remember reading reports of how easy it was to get programs off your receiver with the aid of a PD in the middle.

Hi there...New here. Just installed DISH yesterday. (Non HD user) Switched from DirecTV.

First....POCKET DISH...all three models are SOLD OUT on DISH Website. I called the DISH Call Center. Woman I spoke with said to try retailers to purchase one. GOOD LUCK! After doing a Google Search, the best I could find were 700's going for anywhere from $700-$1200 on Amazon. Not for me. Decided to take matters in my own hands and investigated Archos and Creative (Zen Wide is a nice toy...but not for me)

Purchased 605 today at Circuit City. WIll I be able to use it? If so...what is a vanilla user to do? Help please!!! (Yes...I did keep the receipt)

Never mind the previous post. I talked with Archos tech support this afternoon. According to the man I spoke with the 605 with the Docking station should do the trick. I had the 625 recevier installed yesterday.

I am charging that Archos bad boy up now! Can't wait!!!

I think what you want is the not-yet-available Dish Network plug-in for your Archos. Then, you will be able to move programs from your 625 digitally, via USB. If you use the overpriced DVR Docking Station, you could record the analog video signal. But you won't be able to do anything else with your 625 while the Archos is recording, the process won't retain the quality of the original, and (obviously) it can't occur any faster than real time.

Any updates on these? Has anyone gotten a new gen 5 version and tried it yet? I'm really interested in this, especially if they can transfer HD programs, even if they have to downgrade them to display.

Bought the Archos 605 WiFi about a month ago. Absolutely love it! So as a Dish HD subscriber with the VIP622 receiver, I was excited to hear about the connection between these two units. Since I couldn't find the plug-in on the Archos website, I wrote to Archos Tech Support. Their reply:

"Install the Dish plugin, and connect the unit to the DVR in Windows Device
mode. That's about it, follow the on screen instruction and you're all set."

So where's the plug-in? The link to the Generation 5 Plug-Ins is below, and I can only find the Web Browser, Cinema and Video podcast plugins - no Dish plug-in.

ARCHOS

What am I missing? Anybody seen the Archos Dish plug-in?

Thanks - Steve

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)