Are Dish 180 customers subsidising dish 60 customers?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

plumfam4

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Apr 12, 2004
Pittsburgh
Been a Dish customer for 8 yrs and my yearly pricing is up. I looked at Direct and was surprised to see the top package with out Movie channels is only 45.99 w/locals. That is 7 dollars less that dish. AM i missing something here? Or is dish charging more for us so they can give away the top 60 at 19.99? Seriously considering to go to other side.

plumfam4 said:
Been a Dish customer for 8 yrs and my yearly pricing is up. I looked at Direct and was surprised to see the top package with out Movie channels is only 45.99 w/locals. That is 7 dollars less that dish. AM i missing something here? Or is dish charging more for us so they can give away the top 60 at 19.99? Seriously considering to go to other side.

but this is 45.99 w/locals but its only 140 channels with Dish you have 180 w/local.

but most of those channels are music!!!! expensive music don't you think? I already have sirius so i can listen on net. Guess Charlie always says he keeps things affordable but someone is paying for it!

plumfam4 said:
If you look even further on Directv's pricing you can get Para Todos Opcion Ultra Especial for $39.99 for 130 channels of English and 35 channels in Spanish that you don't have to watch. You will even get the Phase 3 Dish. If you are a new customer you can also get all the movie channels FREE for the first three months until July 31. No you don't get every channel that is in the top 180 but I'd bet all the ones you watch are there. :) :) :)

The packages are structured differently. Along with the Sirius channels you also get 2 channels of TMC and the Encore theme channels etc. If you don't care about any of the extra movie channels then the D* package is a better value IMHO.

NightRyder

Unless you have more than 1 tv and want to save on the mirror fee's!! ex e* has 2 322= 4tv's with 1 mirror fee..versesd* 4 seperate receivers with 3 mirror fee's

AT180 and AT60 are designed for different market groups.

Dish keeps AT60 as low as possible to have attractive prices for billboards and to lure new customers into signing up. More customers means the fixed costs of operating the satellites get spread over a wider base, and more subscribers mean better clout for negotiating lower rates with programming suppliers. And some of those new subs will upgrade later or buy some PPVs.

AT180 is designed for folks who want every channel they can get. Such people usually have an extra $5/month in their pocket to pay for the privilege of seeing the Fox Movie Channel or whatever their AT180 favorite happens to be.

In your case, decide what channels you want and who delivers them to you at the best price, then go there.

I agree with carload. You should look at your viewing habits and determine if you watch channels like the two TMC and six Encore movie channels, plus use the Sirius music channels, enough to justify paying $7/month more.

In my primary favorite channels list of 52 channels, 12 of them are TMC/Encore/Sirius. Thus for me, the $7 is a good deal.

plumfam4 said:

after being a dish customer for 5 yrs i switched to dtv biggest mistake i ever made, i am leaving dtv even if i have to go back to cable

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts