are Java releases cumulative?

Jim S.

When someone asks you if you're a god, you say yes
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Jan 2, 2006
FN11od
The "add or remove programs" panel on my system shows Java 6 updates 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, and 10. These are all about the same size, which leads me to wonder if the "update" label isn't misleading. I'm thinking that maybe each "update" is a complete release, and I could free up almost a gigabyte by removing everything but the latest one. Am I thinking correctly?

Also, I have Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1, Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1 Hotfix, and Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0 Service Pack 1. Can I safely delete the 1.1 versions?

Yeah what they said. Although you don't have to uninstall the Java versions either.

Also, check \Documents and Settings\Default User\Application Data\Sun\Java.

Java caches all of the installers when you install it. It sucks that they put this in the Default User profile so everytime a new user logs on, it copies all the installers with it. At 15MB+ each, these can add up.

Yeah what they said. Although you don't have to uninstall the Java versions either.
It's recommended that you do. Some of the older versions have security flaws.

Just a warning... Some apps require a certain major version of Java. You are fine to remove several versions of 1.6_x, but leave any 1.4_x and 1.5_x if you have them.

Reason: Many developers built their code to check and require a certain version of Java. If it isn't found, the app will either end or launch the installer for the required version. I've fallen victim to this error way to many times in the field.

Very _smart_ approach :( - check and run on just one version. Those coders should do better job and add a warning what exactly version they need.
+1 to that. We had this Time Card web app that would do exactly bateau980 said and try to install 1.2.1_4 if that version was not installed. Fortunately, enough of their users must have groused about it and the new version requires a minimum Java version and runs fine with the newer, more secure Java.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)