External HD

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

stimpson

Miller Lite Tester
Original poster
Oct 2, 2006
Benton, Arkansas
I just bought a 320 gig Toshiba EHD. I bought it to mainly back up my PS3, and PC files. I backed up my PS3, no problems there. I tried to back up the "My Documents" folder and it says the drive is too small. The folder is only 26 meg. Any ideas? I'm sure it's something I am not doing right. This is the first EHD I've owned.

How is the hard drive formatted? You may need to create separate partitions for the PS3 and the PC. The PC will need a Fat32 or NTFS partition.

When I check the properties, it says FAT-32, and that I have 310 gig of free space. As far as the PS3 file, it's saved and viewed as a regular windows folder

I just bought a 320 gig Toshiba EHD. I bought it to mainly back up my PS3, and PC files. I backed up my PS3, no problems there. I tried to back up the "My Documents" folder and it says the drive is too small. The folder is only 26 meg. Any ideas? I'm sure it's something I am not doing right. This is the first EHD I've owned.

When you say backup, do you mean copy the folder or use backup software ?

If you are just copying files, it should just copy till full if using windows explorer, if you are using backup software, which one, it could just be a bug ?

When you say backup, do you mean copy the folder or use backup software ?

If you are just copying files, it should just copy till full if using windows explorer, if you are using backup software, which one, it could just be a bug ?

I tried using the back up in Windows. The one in system tools.

I tried to back up the "My Documents" folder and it says the drive is too small.
That's what it says when encountering a file bigger than 4GB.
Clean the drive, reformat into NTFS and you won't see those again.

Diogen.

New Issue

Now that my EHD is NTSC, my PS3 won't recognize it. Is it possible to partition it to have both NTSC and FAT 32? If so, can someone point me in the right direction on how to do that? Thanks.

The reason why preformatted hard drives are usually done in FAT32 is so they will work on both Macs and PC's. The down side is FAT32 has a file size limitation. If you do video capturing and editing, you run into this all the time. If you don't need to use the drive on both PC and Macs, just reformat the drive using NTFS file system. You can do that in windows although some 3rd party utility software is often much faster. I keep a copy of Maxtor drive utilities here and it works for all drives and is very fast.

The reason why preformatted hard drives are usually done in FAT32 is so they will work on both Macs and PC's. The down side is FAT32 has a file size limitation. If you do video capturing and editing, you run into this all the time. If you don't need to use the drive on both PC and Macs, just reformat the drive using NTFS file system. You can do that in windows although some 3rd party utility software is often much faster. I keep a copy of Maxtor drive utilities here and it works for all drives and is very fast.

I did format it to NTFS. That took care of the file size issue, but now my PS3 doesn't see the drive. It did when it was FAT 32.

Lots of stuff the PS3 doesn't do right. Since buying mine I have discovered all sorts of weaknesses when surfing the web, like Flash. It won't update flash to what is being used today on the web. It seems like you are trying to do it all on one drive. Why not partition the drive with two formats. Can you do that?

Now that my EHD is NTSC, my PS3 won't recognize it. Is it possible to partition it to have both NTSC and FAT 32? If so, can someone point me in the right direction on how to do that? Thanks.
It's NTFS not NTSC...:) Just one letter but still.

Backup the date from the drive.
Right-click My Computer -> Manage
Click Disk Management in the left pane
Right click the disk on the bottom of the right pane -> Delete Volume
Right click again, Create Partition, Primary, assign half the storage
Right click again, Create Partition, Primary, rest of the storage.
Avoid secondary partitions (up to 4 primaries can be used).
Format each partition using a different file system.

That's it.
(Written from memory, may have to adjust).

Diogen.

It's NTFS not NTSC...:) Just one letter but still.

Backup the date from the drive.
Right-click My Computer -> Manage
Click Disk Management in the left pane
Right click the disk on the bottom of the right pane -> Delete Volume
Right click again, Create Partition, Primary, assign half the storage
Right click again, Create Partition, Primary, rest of the storage.
Avoid secondary partitions (up to 4 primaries can be used).
Format each partition using a different file system.

That's it.
(Written from memory, may have to adjust).

Diogen.

I am only seeing NTFS, and not FAT 32 as an option.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)