GoPro or traditional HD camcorder?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

smokey982

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 7, 2005
Cleveland, TN (Chattanooga Market)
I've been putting off buying a new HD camcorder for a long while now. I just can't seem to make a decision on what I want. But I've recently been watching some videos online that were recorded with GoPro cameras. And I have to say that the videos look awesome. I really don't know anything about these units. I was always under the impression they were designed more for extreme sports and such. So how exactly do they differ from a standard camcorder? Most of the videos I've seen have about as good a picture quality as anything I've seen. Is GoPro the way to go?

The GoPros are indeed for situations where you can't readily use a conventional hand-held unit due to environment. They lack most of the traditional camcorder controls and most importantly, have no built-in viewfinder. Of course since they don't feature zoom lenses, I suppose there isn't much need. Speaking of lenses, the ones they come with are a little fisheye. The microphone isn't all that respectable in a world of stereo microphones.

Most that I know that have them don't use them (most of them use their still cameras to do movies instead) because the are extremely clumsy to use for the kind of stuff most would want to use a camcorder for (parties, picnics, plays, recitals, etc.). There's a reason most of the GoPro stuff you see has been shot from atop a ski, handlebars, helmet or slung beneath a quad copter.

Unless you want a hands free camera to strap to your head right before you jump out of an airplane, go with a regular camcorder. Very limited features on the GoPro that you are most likely wanting.

Get one that uses SDHC cards or later. Internal memory is, IMHO, of no value. Read reviews. I have a HF-100 that I now rarely use, but it has a quirk that it only uses a certain class of cards - later versions, such as 10, simply don't work. Weird.

You might also ensure there are other lenses, wide angle, fish-eye, telephoto; a choice of lighting, including IR; be mountable; image stabilizer; minimum 12X OPTICAL zoom, better 20X (digital zoom is almost worthless); and have a remote control. Most cams today will have all this and more. Just make sure.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)