GoPro Hero 10 Black

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

TheForce

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Pub Member / Supporter
Oct 13, 2003
Jacksonville, FL, Earth
My last GoPro upgrade was a Hero 7 Black and while it is adequate for my current needs mounting in my car to create movies of my travels, I have had frustrating problems with the camera shutting down due to over heating. Shooting in 4K 30fps it just gets too hot to record longer than about 20 minutes. After a couple years I decided to revisit GoPro and see if they resolved the problem. GoPro made many improvements over the Hero 7 Black but over heating was not one of them. Very disappointed! O found a nice chart another GoPro 10 user published and at least if accurate, I can plan my record times with my 7 as a backup to take over when the 10 needs to cool off.

Attachments

• GoProHero10-OverheatingData (1).pdf
    48 KB · Views: 167
Reactions: Foxbat
Hmmm, it looks like overheating is still an issue with the Hero 10. Maybe a 5V fan mounted nearby to blow some low-velocity air over the Hero to dissipate the heat is in order. You don’t use the Hero’s internal mic, right?

My long recordings are when mounted near my rear view mirror in the car so it is exposed to my AC air flow but it doesn't seem to help. Sunlight through the windshield shouldn't be a big problem because I have the IR filtered Xpel Prime Plus film Hot on the outside, barely warm on the inside.
My GoPro Hero 7 Black:
I recorded 2.7K 30 fps for 94 minutes before shutting down due to over heat.
I recorded 4K 60 fps for 24 minutes and it shut down due to overheat.

I had hoped to get 2-3 hours recording with 4K 60fps but it doesn't look like that will be impossible. Seems the 10 and 7 are shutting down about the same time.

I have the GoPro mic live and use them for comment recording and audio sync to the other cameras.

I found a way to beat the overheating with the Hero 10. Simple solution.

I opened the battery door and keep it plugged in. Temperature gets to 122°F and has been recording for 7 hours now. With my Hero 7 I have to keep the battery door closed. I have some more single data point experiments to run such as see if it can run with no battery and just plugged in. I don't think the 122°F heat is healthy for the battery. I also want to test at 5.7K 30 fps and 4K60 fps.

I also want to test at 5.7K 30 fps and 4K60 fps.
Getting about 25 minutes on 5.3K 30 fps before overheating shuts things down. 136°F

4K60 runs for 80 minutes and shuts down.

So it looks like 4K 30fps is the optimum setting for record time and quality.

In the really long run of 7 hours this only works with the battery pulled and operated on external power, however, there is an error message that says the battery is measuring 0°F so screen will shut down. I have to replace the battery and reboot the camera to continue.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)