Are locals broadcasting local origin HD?

odbrv

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Nov 21, 2004
Lubbock, Tx
E* is putting up some local HD channels. Are any of them broadcasting any HD content other than what is fed to them by the networks? Has anyone noticed that even most of the advertisements are not shown in HD. Until all the locals really buy into HD, I believe Congress should force the networks through the FCC to allow E* and D* and cable to deliver the Network HD directly. The picture quality should be much better without all the downloads and uploads. Once the locals start producing original content HD at > 50% of content should they be allowed to petition to be broadcast directly. We have the system backwards right now.

You seem to be under the impression that the govt cares about HDTV. They don't. They care about Digital broadcasting and the reclaimation of Analog bandwidth.

HDTV just happens to be nice side-effect to going digital as far as they are concerned.

ABC 7 here in chicago, (I know the LA one too) has been braudcasting local news in hd. Here in chicago, right now its just Chopper7HD and the news cast is soon to go into full hd. CBS2chicago has had some specials in hd that was locally produced. The New years count down at the house of blues is one that comes to mind :)

KARE 11 - The NBC affiliate here in Minneapolis / St. Paul broadcasts their local news programs in HD. They began a few weeks ago and have been working out the bugs. Currently they put blue bars on the sides of SD programming which is fairly annoying until you get used to it.

The two channels with local HD in Phoenix are not carried in HD on dish. The local PBS has two half hour talk shows in HD and KTVK has home Diamond Backs games in HD. KTVK HD is not even on cable, its only available OTA.

More coming

It seems like I read every month about a new location starting to broadcast their News shows in HD. I read a magazine related to the work I do it is know as Broadcast Engineer. Most likely by the analog shut off the top 20 markets will all be in HD. The other stations will go when it is monetarily feasible. It is quite expense to convert a broadcast facility to do in house HD. There are many reasonable priced HD camcorders now, but they are not full HD most are "HD LITE" 1440x1080 or1280x1080, So these will be shown on the news programs as HD but will be of a little lower resolution than true HD.

KLAS in Las Vegas does local news and other local interest programming (i.e. political debates) in 1080i HD. Vegas is the #43 Nielsen DMA.

In Boston, Channel 5's Chronicle news magazine (for those unfamiliar, lots of regional flavor stories, ie life on a VT dairy farm, etc.) is going HD fulltime starting Wednesday. They had previously done one-off episodes in HD.

No signs of the regular news programming going hd yet, though.

Last edited:
NBC in NY has gone HD for local news. Did it at the same time that the Today SHOW went HD nationwide. ABC local in NY is mostly still SD but has their helicopters showing HD coverage.

Also in Boston some of the HD stuff on the natinal PBS is done by the Boston outlet. I posted some time back when PBS in Boston moves into their new state of the art studio in house programs will be HD.

Another thing I noticed a few weeks ago is that Wheel of Fortune is now being provided in HD. The local station in Minneapolis passes it along in glorious HD. Oh Vanna!

Here in San Francisco, KTVU-FOX2 does their local news in HD and KGO-ABC7 has Sky7HD, but they haven't gone HD in the studio or field yet. KTVU has also broadcast the Chinese New Year parade in HD twice, KRON-the MyTV affiliate does several local programs in HD from the field - "Henry's Garden", "Bay Area Backroads", etc. and KQED-PBS has produced several local programs in HD and does a couple of local shows from the studio in HD.

I see more and more local HD all the time, including local HD commercials and promos on ABC7.

Larry
SF

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts