Are Premium Movie Channels A Good Value?

I have the classic gold plus HD and then I took on the max for a penny offer. Other then that, I have netflix for Bluray to get my fix in. :)

I had all the movie channels for over three years and then I cancelled them about a year ago. I went with netflix instead. I am currently on the 2 movies at a time package and I have an LG Blue Ray player that allows netflix streaming. Mostly only older movies can be streamed and you need a good internet connection. I have 3 teenagers and they really got upset when I first cancelled the movie channels. But now they are quite happy with the netflix mail and streaming combo. I am going to drop from the 2 movie package to the 1 movie package though. I have found Netflix is often out of the very newest releases and thus there is a long wait. We now have a number of RedBox rental stations nearby and I think the 1 movie netflix + streaming + rental at a Redbox maybe once a month is the way to go.
By the way, orginally when I did this, Netflix had Blue Rays for an extra dollar a month. Now I think it is 3 or 4 dollars a month for Blue Rays so i cancelled that and just watch regular DVDs. The bluerays are obviously a better picture, but I have found I can live with the regular DVDs as once you get to watching a movie you dont really notice the difference.

One other point I just have to make. I would watch Dish ondemand and ppv more often, but to be honest the price for there movies is a complete and total joke. To me it is a last resort only, especially when you pay that price and only get to watch it for a limited time (as I said, we have teenagers and schedules seldom allow everyone to watch a movie on the same day). How dish can justify its prices is beyond me. They are more expensive than blockbuster and way more expensive than RedBox's $1 a night rate.

How dish can justify its prices is beyond me. They are more expensive than blockbuster and way more expensive than RedBox's $1 a night rate.

My best guess is that Dish's VOD customers are either rural or shut-ins. The prices are outrageous.

I mostly agree, Hemi, but that's the direction the industry is going, so we have to buy another copy of the White album. Else deal with sh!tty 3.6Mbps DVD transfers from 1999.

Not really, I'll watch a 480p movie to save $20+ over a 1080P movie.
The Difference between SD DVD and HD DVD , isn't as dramatic as going from SD tv to HD TV. I don't see blu ray ever going very far in the future, Not at premiums prices.
It won't stay at a premium price. In fact, If you look at the history you''ll see that Blu Ray Prices are dropping much faster then DVD did. You can purchase the new Harry Potter Blu Ray for only $17.99!!!. That includes the Blu Ray ,DVD, and Digital Copy. The price of a dvd. It makes me laugh because I remember when the DVD came out. It cost at least twice as much as VHS and some even thought it might not survive. It did and Blu ray will as well.

Now, My Parents can't tell the difference. But they also can't tell the difference from SD and HD so.

It won't stay at a premium price. In fact, If you look at the history you''ll see that Blu Ray Prices are dropping much faster then DVD did. You can purchase the new Happy Potter Blu Ray for only $17.99!!!. That includes the Blu Ray ,DVD, and Digital Copy.
Thats a movie I wouldn't be caught dead watching .:haha
And the reason Blu ray is Dropping in price so fast ,should tell you something right there. They Don't Sell! Sorry but thats one format that is a waste of money.

Thats a movie I wouldn't be caught dead watching .:haha
And the reason Blu ray is Dropping in price so fast ,should tell you something right there. They Don't Sell! Sorry but thats one format that is a waste of money.
The price is not dropping because of lack of sales. And the fact is blu ray is selling. Blu-ray disc sales are up 91 percent this year and are growing at a faster pace then DVD sales did. Another example is buying a tv series on blu ray. Many are cheaper then the DVD version when it came out years ago.

The price is not dropping because of lack of sales. And the fact is blu ray is selling. Blu-ray disc sales are up 91 percent this year and are growing at a faster pace then DVD sales did. Another example is buying a tv series on blu ray. Many are cheaper then the DVD version when it came out years ago.
91% means nothing if you don't have a exact figure on how many were sold the year before. And compair it to DVD's sales . They we'll see where blu ray stands. Sorry But I know 3 people with Blu rays players , and 3 People with PS3's, Myself included I've played about 4 Blu ray movies in the past year. And Have not bought one blu ray. I have purchased about 20 DVD's in the past year.
My business proffet was up 33% this year from last year. Doesn't mean I'm going to lower my price because sales are up. I'm going to lower my price when people look elsewhere.

91% means nothing if you don't have a exact figure on how many were sold the year before. And compair it to DVD's sales . They we'll see where blu ray stands. Sorry But I know 3 people with Blu rays players , and 3 People with PS3's, Myself included I've played about 4 Blu ray movies in the past year. And Have not bought one blu ray. I have purchased about 20 DVD's in the past year.
My business proffet was up 33% this year from last year. Doesn't mean I'm going to lower my price because sales are up. I'm going to lower my price when people look elsewhere.

When the first VHS tapes came out for sale they cost $99 dollars. The price dropped and it wasn't because of slow sales. This thread is more about premium movie channels. And the money people spend on them. I got rid of mine . No HBO , Showtime etc. I used that money to buy blu ray movies. If I ever needed the money I could always sell them. Can't do that with Premium movie channels. Nothing wrong with getting a dvd of a movie but you can tell the difference in many films between the two formats , and it can be dramatic. Even the release of Wizard of Oz on blu ray is fantastic.

Again, Blu ray prices are dropping. If I have the choice of buying a dvd or Blu ray of a movie I will first look at the reviews to see if the video is better on blu ray. Most of the time it will be and I will spend a few extra dollars for it.

It most certainly was!
Nope, Just like the early buyers of anything else including HD televisions , CD players , and anything else new to the market, early buyers paid a premium for it. Remember the cost of the first CD? Just look at the cost of a CD or a CD player when it first came out. The Movie Studio charged almost $100 for a VHS tape because they knew people would buy it. Most couldn't afford another vcr and blank recordable tapes at that time cost much more then today. I will never complain about the price of a blu ray today . Just look at the cost to see a movie in the theaters and you will see it's a bargain. You own it for about $20 .

Price on new stuff starts high and goes down. Always does Hemi. Nothing different with blu ray. It is really catching steam in our area, has been for the past year.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts