Are ROM Cards Unique?

OCGW

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jan 27, 2008
In Oregon's Rogue Valley
A little history first, this being an olympic year and needing to quench my need to watch, I purchased a "prepaid" style 301 reciever from a fellow on the east coast. I live on the west coast and the reciever arrived without the ROM card. Said Fellow claimed the ad listed it as not having the card and all I had to do was call DN to get a new card and be up and running... DN hung up on me when I called Tech support and the online tech support response was equivilent. :mad:

My question, if I can locate a Rom card that is legit, not hacked or with a balance owed, can I plug it into my reciever and be ready to go? If so, any ideas where I can find one?

My local DN retailer said they are unique (smelled of "I want to sign you up") and the reciever is useless without the original card. Is this true?

Any help would be great, as I dont want to accept that I just tossed my money into the trash.

A little history first, this being an olympic year and needing to quench my need to watch, I purchased a "prepaid" style 301 reciever from a fellow on the east coast. I live on the west coast and the reciever arrived without the ROM card. Said Fellow claimed the ad listed it as not having the card and all I had to do was call DN to get a new card and be up and running... DN hung up on me when I called Tech support and the online tech support response was equivilent. :mad:

My question, if I can locate a Rom card that is legit, not hacked or with a balance owed, can I plug it into my reciever and be ready to go? If so, any ideas where I can find one?

My local DN retailer said they are unique (smelled of "I want to sign you up") and the reciever is useless without the original card. Is this true?

Any help would be great, as I dont want to accept that I just tossed my money into the trash.
First is your receiver a 301 or a 311 they look alike, the 311 has a built in card the 301 has a replacable card. Have you verified that a prepaid system will get what you want for channels? Locals I don't believe are available on prepaid. In theory any yellow card should be able to be married to your box but the prepaids are different so I don't know the answer to your question.

Last edited:
Ok, so if "any" yellow card should work... what's the difference between the different yellow cards? 102 rev 3, sw-o4, 102 rev 10b etc. I think I located a source for a card but they want to know which revision I need? I just want to watch the olympics with no 18 month contract...uuggghhhh!

Screen shot requested earlier today... no dish hooked up currently, want to get this hammered out before I go up on the roof.

Attachments

• DSC02239.jpg
    DSC02239.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 229
Screen shot requested earlier today... no dish hooked up currently, want to get this hammered out before I go up on the roof.

First call with the roo # and see if that rec. can even be activated to your account ? If it can tell them kids pulled out the card and lost it,see if maybe they will send you one.I had them send me one and they waived the cost.It also needs a software download.

First call with the roo # and see if that rec. can even be activated to your account ? If it can tell them kids pulled out the card and lost it,see if maybe they will send you one.I had them send me one and they waived the cost.It also needs a software download.

Not going to happen with a prepaid unit. Prepaid 301 receivers can not be activated on regular accounts. He MUST get prepaid service in order to use it at all.

Ok, so if "any" yellow card should work... what's the difference between the different yellow cards? 102 rev 3, sw-o4, 102 rev 10b etc. I think I located a source for a card but they want to know which revision I need? I just want to watch the olympics with no 18 month contract...uuggghhhh!

If someone can provide you with specific revisions, they're going to also provide you with an audit... You need to walk away from this one. You were sold a BS box, but so far that's all...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)