Are Skinny bundels the answer to cord cutting?

I see the day when network broadcasting will be totally national and will be available as streams.... I think it will be sooner rather than later...
Then, please tell me how all the network contracts with ALL the private affiliate owners will get resolved, dissolved.
Let me answer...NAB ain't gonna let that happen (nor would the networks)...in our lifetimes.

Reactions: TheKrell
I see the local affiliates selling their bandwidth to the FCC so that they can sell it to wireless companies. There will be no OTA available at all, like I said, sooner than later.... A lot of this is already in motion.

I see the local affiliates selling their bandwidth to the FCC so that they can sell it to wireless companies. There will be no OTA available at all, like I said, sooner than later.... A lot of this is already in motion.
Don't bet on it. Yes, they are cutting some bandwidth chaff, but not their core.

I can see a time assuming Networks continue to be OTA that there are more regional affiliates rather than the many market ones now.

Dish came up with the "skinny" just in time for me, right when my $30x12 expired. I had already decided that paying the regular $85 a month for DA Silver was never gonna happen, considering how little I get to watch TV these days. My local ISP has live streaming locals for $20 and $5 for each additional ROKU, which I was ready to implement. I really like the Flex Pac.

Capture.JPG

That blanket statement doesn't work. Playstation Vue found a way to offer some local channels.
That blanket statement doesn't work. Playstation Vue found a way to offer some local channels.
Of course they can since they are a paid service and can restrict access to local channels depending on your service location. Since local OTA channels are free, they couldn't stream themselves unlimited as they wouldn't have a service address to restrict who can view it. They only way they could would to become a pay service so they could get a service address. I suppose they may be able to require a log-in and get a service address as part of the registration process.... that would be fun, 4 different log-in for the big 4 networks.

Out of curiosity... Can one get all the flex channels off 1 sat ?
I have been looking into this myself. If I were to go back to DISH I would like to own my equipment and have no contract. It appears that all of the HD channels in the core Flex package are on 72.7. I would want to buy a 211k (and download DVR software) or 612 and use an old Dish 300 that currently resides under the house. I would be willing to replace the LNB if necessary. I started this similar thread a couple of weeks ago but still have concerns that my plan would work out. http://www.satelliteguys.us/xen/threads/dish-for-just-one-sat.363309/

I see the day when network broadcasting will be totally national and will be available as streams.... I think it will be sooner rather than later...

I would like to see that, but local advertisers wouldn't want to pay for national viewers. Local broadcasters have franchises protecting their territory and someone would have to buy them out. In rural America that might be possible, but in major metropolitan areas like LA, NYC, Chicago, they would not give up easily.

I just get the Welcome pack with Movie Pack added. $37 month. Cheaper than Flex pack and better selection for my viewing.

You are overpaying! It's $29.99 for both - and you may be able to get the movie pack for 1/2 price. If that fits your need perfect! But I would hope it costs less, the Flex pack has far more of the basic cable channels.

Reactions: pattykay
Meh. At least 1/3 of the "skinny pack" are channels I block to remove clutter from my channel guide. If you want to control your spending, they are a good offering. If you want to control your viewing options and have specific channels you currently watch (e.g. AHC, Smithsonian), not so much. Looking at the add-on packs at best I watch 1 or 2 offerings in some, and none in others. One size does not fit all. If Sirius/XM can offer an Ala Carte for a discounted 50 station music package, why not Dish? Having said that, I realize true choice of channels paid for will result in many marginal channels going under - maybe not a bad thing.

Uh, where could I find that 50 station ala carte from Sirius/XM? They do have a couple 'budget' plans, but they sure aren't ala carte!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yes, that is ala carte. It would be great to do something similar with pay tv.

Welcome Pack is $19.99 per month, so which Movie Pack costs $17 per month?

Welcome Pack$ 19.99
DVR Service$ 12.00
Dish Movie Pack 6 Mo (50% Off) $5.00
FCC Regulatory Fee$ 0.03
First Receiver (add'l $7-17)$ 0.00
HD Free For Life (reg $10)$ 0.00
Monthly Charges $ 37.02

You forget Dish's fees and after the $37, there is state tax.
I was paying $73+ for Dish America and the movie pack and fees.

I'm a bill payment center and seen the flex packs on a few customers bill.

The 3 bills I saw all the customers where paying more than $50/mo

So much for saving money
I was paying $135, now I'm paying $95, 2 year price lock = $960.00! Yeah $95 is high, bit I'm getting everything I use to watch except golf. The best golf is on locals anyway, so I don't mind saving $960, I can go watch a couple live tournaments with that savings! The HD on locals and movie packs is well worth the two $10 add-ons, looks sensational on my new 4k TV.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Reactions: MikeD-C05

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts