Are the Olympics coming to Dish Network?

I do not believe there will be any copyright conflicts since NBC HD special feed will only be showing the Olympics which NBC has an exclusive right to broadcast in the USA. They will not be showing programming from other companies that would have copyright issues.

This would be fabulous since my local NBC is standard definition digital only, and they have no plans to ever upgrade to showing the HD feed from NBC (unless I guess NBC said show it or else).

Makes you wonder what DIRECTV is going to do?

So from what I'm reading here and on AVSForum, E* is now using 3 channels per transonder for HD. That means that there are now two available with the Olympics taking one, leaving one free, and then when the Olympics are over, there will be two free. Is this correct? What can we expect them to add in HD? During/after the Olympics?

No the other HD transponder currently has two channels on it (HDnet and HDNet movies) it has room for 1 more (NBC Olympics)

JohnH does that sound about right to you?

It would appear there is room for 4 HD channels on 110. One channel that would go on TP 7 with HDNet and HDNet Movies and another 3 channels on TP 19 that HBOHD and ShowtimeHD use to occupy. Unless of course TP 19 is used for something else.

It is quite possible that these moves are only temporary, and they will move the channels back after the olympics. I heard a rumor that HDNET/HDMovies have a minimum bandwidth agreement and they might not be able to put another channel on their transponder. Cuban does not want his signal compressed.

I wonder if along with NBC agreeing for dish to air the olympics that BravoHD has to be added as well, that would be nice :)

rocatman said:
It would appear there is room for 4 HD channels on 110. One channel that would go on TP 7 with HDNet and HDNet Movies and another 3 channels on TP 19 that HBOHD and ShowtimeHD use to occupy. Unless of course TP 19 is used for something else.

Scott, what he said. :)

Wouldn't want to crowd the Olympics though. Bunches of screen activity in that venue.

Question, is this Dish HD feed that you are talking about simply going to duplicate what the local OTA NBC HD broadcasts are doing? Or is it something different. I went to the NBC web site and wasn't clear.

Are all the local NBC HD OTA broadcasts going to be doing the same 24/hour 1-day delayed commercial-free HD feed?

I did go over to the AVS forum threads but it's still not 100% clear to me what NBC is doing in HD. Is the following correct?

NBC is producing a SINGLE HD feed that will consist of 8hrs/day of programming that will be broadcast 3-times/day on a one-day delay. This HD feed will be available on the NBC affiliate OTA broadcasts and possibly also on Dish but apparently not on DirectTV or Voom. So Dish customers won't get anything different via satellite than what they can pull off their local NBC HD OTA feed.

All the other Olympics coverage will be scattered across the various NBC-owned stations and most likely broadcast tape-delayed as well due to the time-zone differences between Greece and North America. However the tape-delay of the SD broadcasts will be same-day tape delay as opposed to next-day tape delay for the HD.

Beating a dead cat: DD on 811 w/269 Not Working

Is it normal

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)