Are there cheaper methods for getting Whole Home DVR service? Being quoted $400.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

botsmack

Original poster
Jan 11, 2011
USA
We've been a DirecTV customer for a year with only one HD-DVR (an HR21-100 if memory serves correctly) and three standard def receivers. We just purchased a new high def television for the bedroom and wanted to upgrade the service in there to HD and take advantage of the whole home DVR service.

When I called DirecTV earlier today, they said it would be about $400 to get the service installed and running — $199 for the new HD-DVR for the bedroom plus $200 for the whole home installation. I knew we'd need a new receiver/DVR.

Before I pay them, I just wanted to find out if there was a better (possibly cheaper) method to go about this or if this is our only option.

Thank you!

Last time I checked, to upgrade to MRV was $99 (but DTV changes prices as often as you change underwear).

Then you could just get an HD receiver for $99 instead of the HD/DVR for $199

Other option is buy the stuff to convert it and do it yourself.
But the parts will cost you close to $100 plus the cost of a receiver.

BTW, I certainly would not pay $400.
If you can not get them to get past that price because you are under contract, then just wait.

They did raise the price to $199, plus a sometimes $49 labor fee, but $400 sounds high, did that include a receiver? Here is a thread about another person negotation questions from last week:

Probably due to equipment shortages.
We have been on allocations for a while. The flow is steady but if everyone was upgrading we would probably run out.

Either way, makes me happy as upgrades we hate the most are MRV upgrades.
They don't pay jack shite.

Either way, makes me happy as upgrades we hate the most are MRV upgrades.
They don't pay jack shite.

Guy that did mine didn't mind too much, I put the DECAs on receivers all over the house and hit the RBR while he switched the WB68 to a SWM16 (have 9 tuners but one DVR was previously running just on one till the upgrade) with a DECA next to it for the broadband access, I had an ethernet jack wired there for him already. Simple enough, handed him $20 and said enjoy your day. I called and told them he did the upgrade and they turned MRV on. I'm sure that kind of install is by far the exception though ;)

Believe me, definitely out of the norm to get help and a tip.

However, no matter how sh!tty the job is, you would never know it bothered me.

Thanks for the replies guys. I'll try to answer the questions that were raised.

The $400 quote included a new HD-DVR receiver ($199) and Whole Home Installation ($200).

I don't have home ethernet wired, although that is on my todo list. I've been wanting to drop ethernet to all the rooms in the house and wire for gigabit. Of course, if I had that already complete then this would be a lot simpler. So, as it stands now, each tv outlet is just coax.

Technically, I really don't need a second DVR at the moment, so getting a cheaper HD receiver only would be an option. It just makes things more expensive down the road if we ever wanted to add the DVR capability later.

I'll be sure to check out the other threads linked to in replies above and see what I can find out. Thanks!

One more thing... Is there a parts list if I did want to do this myself? Recommended parts and model numbers?

Would the DTV home plugs work for MRV as apposed to running cat5 through the house?
If so, would that be one at the router and one at each MRV compatible receiver?

Powerline adapters are mediocre for MRV. Cat 5 is better, DECA is even better, in my experience. For two DVR's it might be worth it to try powerline adapters, compared to the $200 cost of installation. Dropping Cat5e would be the cheapest solution, if the OP is comfortable doing it himself.

IMO , and forgive me if I am wrong, If you drop an Ethernet line or run a RG^ line towards your router, wouldn't it be cheaper to pay $65 for the black DECA box and hook it in to the swm splitter?? I'm not sure what your set up is, but $65 and either get the one ethernet cable down toward your splitter and put the DECA there (as long as you have a powered outlet close) or run RG6 to your router and put the DECA there.

I'm not a D* installer, but have many years in Alarms, CCTV, Card access control, Driveway alerts, etc. and have been for trained by Top fortune 500 companies in this field at their sites for installation and service troubleshooting....

His issue is he does not have SWM so a DECA is out without paying $200 for the SWM upgrade.

Leaving his options at running cat5 trough the house which could be costly and maybe really difficult depending on distance and if he needs to buy the tools to do it.
By the time he is done it could cost him more then paying for the MRV upgrade.

Or if it will work, wireless ethernet jacks (aka powerline adapters) which he might be able to get cheaper and is a billion times easier to install then running cat5.
I am gathering this will work and you need one at the router and one at each MRV compatible receiver. It just may not work as efficiently as other methods.

His issue is he does not have SWM so a DECA is out without paying $200 for the SWM upgrade. .

Leaving his options at running cat5 trough the house which could be costly and maybe really difficult depending on distance and if he needs to buy the tools to do it.
By the time he is done it could cost him more then paying for the MRV upgrade.

Kijuled, I have a question for you. On the HR23-700 I'm showing ethernet connected and not coax connected. Is that due to the converter box in line with the RG6 and having to be plugged in to the ethernet port??

Second question, Can I run an ethernet cord from the second 23 output and connect it to my TV to have internet in to that set without having to run a line or a router from that box? I have been curious to try it, but without tech papers, I don't like to mess with other people's property in fear that something may be damaged...

Just a thought.......

To the best of my knowledge ethernet can only "flow" one way.
Meaning the jack is either an input or an output.
That being said, the both jacks on the HR23 are inputs and taking one out to the TV will not work.
However, I am not well versed in this area.

The believe the whole reason 2 jacks were put on the HR21-23 is to allow the DECA to be connected for MRV and still give a jack for internet connection.
DTV was well aware of and developing this technology years ago since the introduction of the 21 series and maybe even the 20 series receivers.

As far as your first question, I am either not sure or not sure of what you are trying to ask.

Second question, Can I run an ethernet cord from the second 23 output and connect it to my TV to have internet in to that set without having to run a line or a router from that box? I have been curious to try it, but without tech papers, I don't like to mess with other people's property in fear that something may be damaged...

Just a thought.......

I don't understand your first question either.

Yes, the second ethernet port is pass through. It WILL allow you to connect another device to your network.

To the best of my knowledge ethernet can only "flow" one way.
This is completely wrong in a modern Ethernet network. Not only can it "flow" both ways, but it does so simultaneously on independent wires. The key is not using hubs. Fast Ethernet is 100mbps both ways and Gigabit Ethernet is 1000mbps both ways.

The key to understanding DECA is that it is as you thought Ethernet was; there can be only one device talking at a time. Ethernet supports all devices talking at once (as long as they aren't all trying to talk to the same device).

Would the DTV home plugs work for MRV as apposed to running cat5 through the house?
If so, would that be one at the router and one at each MRV compatible receiver?

As bill said, powerline adapters are spotty with MRV. I ran across these the other day though. I have no Idea how well they work, but it might be an option for some.
Walmart.com: Netgear Universal Wi-Fi Internet Adapter: Computers

These are not the same as powerline adapters. Those use existing home wiring to tranfer the signal back and forth, and if you are on a different circuit you can have issues.
These use a wifi signal, and I could see it being much more trouble free.

While we are talking about Swm and Deca. If I was to do this MRV myself, What is the List of equipment I would need?

All I want to do is Hook my HR23 to do MRV to my H23 and I'll drop my R15.

But I have the R16 that I want to keep, Don't care if its part of the MRV and I need another SD receciver that is swm compatible?

Any Help?

I have a Slimline 3 and a 5 LNB non swm.

While we are talking about Swm and Deca. If I was to do this MRV myself, What is the List of equipment I would need?

All I want to do is Hook my HR23 to do MRV to my H23 and I'll drop my R15.

But I have the R16 that I want to keep, Don't care if its part of the MRV and I need another SD receciver that is swm compatible?

Any Help?

I have a Slimline 3 and a 5 LNB non swm.

If you have a way to get cat5 to them, and a have a multi port router you could do it in a few minutes. I know that is not the supported way, and some swear by DECA, but I have been using the ethernet option for sometime with zero issues.

So just connect, my HR23 to my H23 with ethernet and connect my HR 23 to my router?

My Hr23 is already connected to the internet, so I just connect my h23 to my Hr23 right?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)