Are there HD channels you almost never watch?

Tom Bombadil

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
May 5, 2005
Chicago-Milwaukee Region
I almost always use a Favorites guide list that I set up and thus only see the channels I include on the list. Just tonight I scanned the "ALL HD" list for the first time in probably 3-4 months. It kinda surprised me how long it was, especially when including the 12 local HD and digital channels that I pick up via OTA.

Several of the channels that I don't include on my HD Favs list are largely useless channels, like HDEV1, NBAHD, HDTV3 (Demo channel), and the 287 duplicate channel.

But besides these 4 channels, I skip 9 other DishHD channels on my list. Along with 6 local sub-HD digital channels.

So that is 19 digital/HD channels in all that I don't have in the FAV list. No wonder it looked so long when I scanned through the entire list.

I do keep 8 VOOM channels on my list, although I'm thinking about deleting the Kung Fu channel, as I haven't watched it in at least 3 months.

Anyone else do something similar?

I have never watched or have any SD channels. I also block about 4 or 5 locals and the same useless HD channels like HDEV1, NBAHD, HDTV3...

Voom

Those channels are crap....the content is really bad.

But Dish like them because the y can say they have the most HD channels...but if nobody watches them whats the difference?

Those channels are crap....the content is really bad.

But Dish like them because the y can say they have the most HD channels...but if nobody watches them whats the difference?

I agree completely. I wish we could break up the HD package and keep Voom seperate if we choose. I would love to receive a discount from my bill by canceling Voom. Most of the Voom channels still show some of the same programming that they have had since they started with Dish. I really enjoy all the other HD channels.

All of the Voom channels. I saw everything they show about a year ago.

All the "extra" HD channels!

No Voom, ESPN, Universal, HGTV, Food. And to think I came back to Dish because they had more HD and now, all I watch are the Network stations!!

I would be happy if the Networks and CW were HD for me

I do not watch much but the races on TNT when they are on that network or ESPN1 or 2
Losing CBS HD really sucks as at least I had quite a few things show up each week I would watch on it in HD and my 'new' locals are 50% the quality that my distants were

I ignore Gallery and Tresure, and just occasionally peruse the Voom movie channels looking for a good find. But I don't block any of them; and just use the All HD as my favorite list for everything.

The only SD I watch is Sci Fi.

I can't belive nobodys mentioned GameplayHD yet? HDNET used to be the number 1 MOST watched channel on my list but since it doesn't look all that great anymore its a little ahead of gameplayHD. I mainly been watching premiumHD movies and wealthHD on my 4dtv nowdays and OTA.

Rarely watched

Never watched Treasure, World Sport, Gamespot, HDEV1, HDTV3, NBAHD, NFLHD, ESPNHD,& ESPNHD2. Rarely watched Ultra, Kungfu, Rush, Animation, Gallery, Food, & HGHD. I watch the rest occasionally or a lot.

Never viewed: RAVE, ANIMA, GAMEP. Channels like HDEV1 & NBAHD are always(?) off air. I would like to watch HDNEWS more, but Sat 129, Tp 22 is very flaky, so it is just short bits of that I can see before it pixelates out. The others I peruse or watch from time to time. I am steadlily recording Star Trek Enterprise from HDNET. I have not made a "Favorites" Guide...as an aside, I watch very little SD any more since I have the HD setup; however, I do like to have my TV2 set on the Weather Channel, or the NASA channel.

Someone should setup a poll! I would bet most would be willing to ditch all or most of Voom in order to get everything back up to full rez and skinimax HD + RSNs added. Maybe some CW and MYTV in HD as well. Channels with lots of actual new content every month instead of repeat heaven.

EDIT: Or just move Voom to another slot. You kill two birds with one stone. More bandwidth for new HD channels and Voom can stay for those that really want it. Has to be room at 105 or 121.

Last edited:
Because of 129's sh*t-sucking performance, I rarely watch much voom...waiting through the signal-losses is just too boring, especially when some of the wait-times can be up to 7 minutes. I'll put up with it on movies I've seen before on Starz, NFL-HD and UHD, but other than that, I'm an extremely disgruntled (read: really ticked-off with E*) platinum sub.

You could do a poll, but E* wouldn't give a rip about it...:mad:

D1000?

Because of 129's sh*t-sucking performance, I rarely watch much voom...waiting through the signal-losses is just too boring, especially when some of the wait-times can be up to 7 minutes. I'll put up with it on movies I've seen before on Starz, NFL-HD and UHD, but other than that, I'm an extremely disgruntled (read: really ticked-off with E*) platinum sub.

You could do a poll, but E* wouldn't give a rip about it...:mad:
You are in Forks, Wa so do you have a D1000? If you do then that is your problem. The D1000 doesn't work very will up there. You should get a 2nd dish for 129 a 24" should cure the problem. Email the exec resolution team at ceo@echostar.com and tell them how crappy your reception is and that you are going to dump them. Give them your ph # and acct # and they will contact you to try and save you as a customer.

I actually watch more network tv in HD rather than national. I then use the HD versions of Hbo/Showtime/Starz to record most premium movies. Followed by Monsters HD and Rave HD. I rarely watch anything else in hd . I watch for content not reruns. Most of the hd channels we get with Voom and with Universal, HDnet and HDnet movie are reruns I've already seen. TNT is nothing but reruns of tv shows and movies I saw the first time on the networks.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts