Are they now allowing self-installed 622 ?

kstuart

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Nov 5, 2006
Northern California
From another thread:
Right now with Dish'n'it'up promo exisiting customers that have been with dish for a year or longer can upgrade to a 622 for ($150 self install or 179 installed). You also get a $50 rebate back. I didn't have a Dish 1000 so I had to pay for the install.

ALso if you are upgrading to HD for the first time you are elgible (until May) for a $10 rebate for 10 months = $100.

Here is the rebate form for both of these:
http://www.dishnetwork.com/redirects/promotion/100_back/index.asp

Both rebates are on one form but you have to wait for your first bill that shows the new hd programming
So, are they really allowing self-install now ?
I can't really swap out my Dish 500 because it has more than one somewhat expensive dish heaters on it that cannot be transferred to a Dish 1000, and I have plenty of large single dishes that I could point to 129, so I don't need someone to come out.
Previous threads indicated that self-install of 622 was not allowed due to concerns about customers doing poor installations and then complaining about problems.
Has that changed now ?

I have not heard of anyone who did not already have HD (921, 942, etc.) being allowed to self install. If it's just a receiver swap, maybe OK, but if dish installs and configs - no.

A number of things changed on February 1st, I was wondering whether this is one of them.

BTW, what do you mean - in this case - by "configs" ??

Don't know about leases, but I bought mine from the DishStore, installed all my equipment myself years ago. They gave me no trouble activating.

I had a Dish721 (everything already set up for a dual tuner receiver with subscriptions to programming already at 110/119/61.5 litterally all I had to do was unscrew/unplug 7 connectors and plug them in to the new receiver) and to the point of me saying disconnect my service or send me a 622 for whatever you charge "I DO NOT WANT IT INSTALLED". They refused. I the words were "we do not have a process to just send out the receiver". This was escallated to the highest levels (I am talking corporate vice-presidents). I stayed with Dish, not because of loyalty. Not because they had more HD. Not because of the great 622 receiver... price. I was so angry at Dish that I was willing to pay more a month to some one else. But Dish had the competition beat locally by over $30 a month for similar packages. I went ahead and bought the 622 from Claude at the Dish Store at his regular price and he was kind enough to take my 721 in trade for a good deal. But Dish would not let a 10-year subscriber get the lease deal with a self-install.

Perhaps that did change in Feb, but I doubt it.

See ya
Tony

Last summer Dish sent me a 622 to self-install so it can be done. My account at Dish's site showed that I could lease one from them and self-install. The CSR originally didn't believe me but I had him look and he was surprised to find out I was right. But it only seems to apply to certain (supposedly highly valued?) accounts.

I don't know how much more highly valued an account can be than one with a 10 years spotless payment record, cc auto pay, AEP from the instant it was available (and top packages before that), no service calls, and two RMAed SW64 switches and one RMAed 7200 after a software update/Yellow card swap killed the receiver all done by self-install! So I'm not sure what the trigger is to get a leased 622 on a self install.

Here is the e-mail I received on Dec 18, 2006
Dear Tony,

Thank you for your recent e-mail. At this time we do not have a process to ship the VIP 622 or VIP 211 receivers. Normally the customer would require another cable run for the VIP 622 and the installation of a Dish 1000 or a 2nd Dish at 61.5 for the HD Channels.

We would be glad to personally set-up the order; however we don’t currently have the option of shipping the receivers.

See ya
Tony

My last 622 was shipped to me from ceo. Installed it myself. Explained I already had a DPP44 installed.

I have two accounts and they both are eligible for something or another. However, I can have a dual tuner HD DVR (622) as an upgrade either: (1) $149 shipped without installation; or (2) $149 installed.

Of course, as Dish has said in the past, their web pages are not updated.

Here's another bad web page from Thursday while I was looking around, because I'm thinking about putting my 622 in the garage and drop service on both accounts: https://customersupport.dishnetwork.com/customercare/programming/international.do Then click on International.
Which says:

KOREAN
DISH Network is pleased to offer you the very best Korean-language programming, featuring 4 top-quality, 100% digital channels delivered straight to your home. SBS, MBN, KBS and Arirang TV are all provided to you on DISH Network at an exceptional value. Enjoy watching incredible television consisting of the latest movies, TV series, sports, news, infotainment, children's programs, music, videos, documentaries and travelogues to the korean communities in the United States. more>
Unquote

EDIT:
Sorry, the web page doesn't work unless you log into your account(s).

I was able to self install my 622. When it arrived in the mail, I installed it.

I then called to activate, they told me that I had to have it installed. I sweet talked them into activating it, but I did not get any of the MPEG4 or OTA channels.

I had to call back and do some more sweet talking. After exhausting the regular CSR, I escalated to a Supervisor. I talked the whole Transponder, DishProPlus, Sats and slots jargon with him. He then did a system override and fully activated the 622. I was then able to cancel my install which was scheduled the following week.

After rescheduling my install four or five times dish relented and shipped out the second 622 for me to install in February of this year. It was the second leased 622 for me. They also shipped the first 622 in Apr last year. I wasn't replacing a receiver.

Voyagerbob

A number of things changed on February 1st, I was wondering whether this is one of them.

BTW, what do you mean - in this case - by "configs" ??

Setup and configuration of your dish, mostly aiming it to hit all three satellites.

Maybe TNGtony caused them to add the self install option:

Our DISH'n It Up promotional offers allow you to get the latest in DISH Network technology at a price much lower then MSRP!

As a valued customer, you can upgrade to a leased state-of-the-art receiver and pick cutting-edge technology like a Digital Video Recorder (DVR), High Definition (HD) programming, or an HD-DVR receiver for a low up-front price!

Not only does DISH Network offer you your choice of technology - you can also choose whether we ship the new receiver to you or come to your home and provide you with our standard professional installation. Plus, you pick whether you want to upgrade a receiver already on your account or add DISH Network in another room of your home.

Choose from the options below and call 1-800-333-DISH to place your order today! Hurry - offer expires on April 30, 2007!

I logged into my Dish network account and sure enough the option was there as Widescreen had mentioned. Note the 622 was the same price $149 or $99 after rebate either shipped or professionally installed.

SHIPPED
Replace a receiver already on your account - we'll ship the receiver to your home

INSTALLED
Add standard professional installation for FREE

My install fee was credited back

I had Dish 500 and Dish came and installed the Dish 1000 and set everything up with my 622. I was charged $179 installed. After my first bill came I emailed the ceo address and asked to have the $30 install fee waived since I was an existing customer just upgrading to HD. They credited me without any problems and refunded the $5 transaction fee as well. You may want to do the same.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts