Are we ever going to see External Storage for 622?

DVDDAD

Supporting Founder
Supporting Founder
Sep 8, 2003
Huntington, Long Island, NY
Stay tuned to Satelliteguys from Jan 6th - 11th, we will have a lot more about this. :)

These dates fall in line with a possible announcement during CES, that Dish has just released the software that will allow our 622's to do this. This could also be why we haven't seen a software update on the 622 for a while. This has been my prediction based on E*'s past CES announcements.

Scott Greczkowski

Welcome HOME!
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Cutting Edge
Sep 7, 2003
Newington, CT
Yes we are talking about a CES announcement. We will be there and on the floor with Dish with almost live coverage. Including LIVE coverage of the Echostar and DirecTV press conferences.

jcrandall

Proud Staff Member
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Apr 3, 2005
Central Michigan
The kicker is how much will E* pinch their customers to 'allow' the privelidge of increasing their storage space. Will it be a 'dish' brand drive, or a new monthly fee, or will they actually do the right thing and be nice...

David Dietzel

SatelliteGuys Pro
Nov 21, 2004
Rancho Cucamonga
Now I understand why the price increase on the Platinum package is triple the rate of inflation!

We're goona get a free external storage unit, to be announced at CES!

Oh, sorry, I gotta lay off that crystal meth.

bkushner

SatelliteGuys Pro
Apr 2, 2005
Audubon, NJ
Just got this message back from ceo@dishnetwork.com

Doesn't look good. As for a CES announcement, they've been announcing this thing for years.

I've been using external storage with my Comcast box over two years now and it's any drive I want to buy. Shame on Dish!

Dear Brian,

Thank you for your E-mail and bringing your concern to our attention.

At this time we do not have any information regarding an external hard
drive for storage with the 622.

I apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.

Thank you,
Jennifer Schuyler
Echostar Satellite L.L.C
Executive Communications

Last edited:

mike1973

SatelliteGuys Pro
Nov 22, 2004
Rochester, NY

Doesn't look good. As for a CES announcement, they've been announcing this thing for years.

I've been using external storage with my Comcast box over two years now and it's any drive I want to buy. Shame on Dish!

Dear Brian,

Thank you,
Jennifer Schuyler
Echostar Satellite L.L.C
Executive Communications

Probably want to delete that phone number as it was sent to you in a private e-mail!

Tweakophyte

SatelliteGuys Family
Jun 10, 2004
Boulder, CO

Dear Brian,

Thank you,
Jennifer Schuyler
Echostar Satellite L.L.C
Executive Communications

This is the same person that did not have any information about the Vip622 from Costco... I sent her a link from the DishNetwork site.

nazz

SatelliteGuys Pro
Feb 4, 2006
I don't see anything alarming in that e-mail. It just says no info at this time. That seems consistant with Scott's Jan 6th - 11th timeline.

riffjim4069

SatelliteGuys Master
Supporting Founder
Apr 7, 2004
SatelliteGuystonfieldville, U.S.A.
Are we ever going to see External Storage for 622? In a word...No!

We were told that USB storage for the 942 was around the corner in November 2005, however support for this was "unofficially" dropped a couple months ago as reported by Scott. I wouldn't count on anything until you see the service actually enabled.

datwell

Supporting Founder
Supporting Founder
Jul 25, 2004
Falls Church, VA
Are we ever going to see External Storage for 622? In a word...No!

We were told that USB storage for the 942 was around the corner in November 2005, however support for this was "unofficially" dropped a couple months ago as reported by Scott. I wouldn't count on anything until you see the service actually enabled.

riffjim4069 is very wise. Charlie may be preoccupied with the new environment following the transfer/sale of D* and may be working overtime on much larger issues!

I am also aware of the following:

1) The HD PQ of yesterday's Eagles/Cowboys game was awful (Washington, DC)

2) Virginia will soon be charging a 5% sales tax on my monthly E* bill

3) Charlie plans to raise my rate by $10/mo. (TOO MUCH!!)

4) E* has added no new national HD channels lately

5) E* has no external storage to date and may charge extra for it ever becomes available

6) E* was the best value out there for years running, IMHO - I'm less certain of that now

6) Verizon's FIOS has been available to me for months now and they are looking better as time goes on.

Just my 2 cents.

---Doug

riffjim4069

SatelliteGuys Master
Supporting Founder
Apr 7, 2004
SatelliteGuystonfieldville, U.S.A.
Like I mentioned before, I have enjoyed E* service (love our 622s), but with the continuation of HD-Lite it really becomes a matter of getting the most bang for the buck. As much as I have not enjoyed cable in my prior life, It's hard to pass on the Adelphia/Comcast $29.95 Digital Cable offer with HBO, Showtime, and Starz: , HD Plus, two HD DVR, and one HD CableCard for $65 per month (which is $20 less than HD Bronze after paying all the receiver and DVR fees). I recently tried my folks Comcast w/On Demand and they (cable) have greatly improved over the past three years.

ScottChez

SatelliteGuys Pro
Oct 2, 2003
Remember Dish is a Publicly Held company, there are insider trader laws about putting forward looking info in an email. Best info is when they pass it by word of mouth so the employee cant get fired.

I would not put anything into the CEO office email, they are just doing there job by saying the "company line" which is I do not have any new info.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)