Are we ever going to see External Storage for 622?

I had a DISH techie tell me that he can download his DISH programs to the little viewer that Dish sells, and then he feeds that to his PC. He also erases any commercials that happen to be in normal TV programming once it is on the PC. What's the chance of getting the software from Archos, putting it on a PC and emulating the pocket dish?

I had a DISH techie tell me that he can download his DISH programs to the little viewer that Dish sells, and then he feeds that to his PC. He also erases any commercials that happen to be in normal TV programming once it is on the PC. What's the chance of getting the software from Archos, putting it on a PC and emulating the pocket dish?
In HD it is 0% chance.

Remember Dish is a Publicly Held company, there are insider trader laws about putting forward looking info in an email. Best info is when they pass it by word of mouth so the employee cant get fired.

I would not put anything into the CEO office email, they are just doing there job by saying the "company line" which is I do not have any new info.

Inside trader information. Come on.. A simple "look for an announcement regarding this soon" would have sufficed.

WE are talking about an external recorder, not a major company SEC action.

Inside trader information. Come on.. A simple "look for an announcement regarding this soon" would have sufficed.

WE are talking about an external recorder, not a major company SEC action.

Except that even that little bit of information can easily be construed as insider information.

Erring on the side of caution is not exactly a bad approach to make in this litigation happy era.

Cheers,

I should do a search when I return home, it is probably covered.

However, I don't see how external storage would work as anything but maybe offline storage. Limitations of USB, even USB2. Look at how much data can be going through the system. With a 622, and OTA, can't you essentially be recording 3 different HD programs at one time, while also viewing 2 different HD programs on 2 TVs?

I'm surprised that they can do that with the builtin hard drive. But to also consider doing this via USB?

But if you gained the ability to at least move a show to/from the USB drive, and only watch it when on the internal drive, would seemingly work for most people. If you want to have 3 or 4 external 250GB drives, you could accumulate shows. It isn't like they would be stored unencrypted so you could access it from a PC.

...However, I don't see how external storage would work as anything but maybe offline storage. Limitations of USB, even USB2. Look at how much data can be going through the system. With a 622, and OTA, can't you essentially be recording 3 different HD programs at one time, while also viewing 2 different HD programs on 2 TVs?

I'm surprised that they can do that with the builtin hard drive. But to also consider doing this via USB?...
OTA HD is about 19mbps and the highest E* HD is much less. Lets say that each HD stream requires 25mbps throughput x 5 at once = 125mbps. USB2 is 480Mbps so it would barely tax the system. Bring it ON.:hungry:

Yeah I was pretty surprised that the 622 did not have an eSATA port, seems kind of elementary, 3.0Gbps vs the crappy 4xxMbps offered by USB. the real question is when can we get a Series 3 TiVo for Dish, then we can expand at will, there are folks on D* that have 1TB TiVo units!!!!

"the real question is when can we get a Series 3 TiVo for Dish"

haha that was funny! (i think)

Compared to the 622 there isn't much difference in features, not too mention updates would be non-existent just like on the DirecTIVO. Anybody remember the Microsoft\DISH Dishplayer? Updates just don't happen, just alot of finger pointing.
On top of that a TIVO monthly fee. No thanks.

Compared to the 622 there isn't much difference in features, not too mention updates would be non-existent just like on the DirecTIVO. Anybody remember the Microsoft\DISH Dishplayer? Updates just don't happen, just alot of finger pointing.
On top of that a TIVO monthly fee. No thanks.

Still use a Dishplayer in the basement!

I predict that at CES Dish will announce they are working on this and that will be that.

Based on their history I am not counting on Dish coming through on any promises, real or inferred, re: HD external storage.

Dan

If they announce new receivers that may come out to replace the MPEG-4 receivers they have now then that would probably cause the external hard drive to not be released. I do not see that happening so it may be some other excuse. They are only planning this for the 622 and not for the MPEG-2 receivers such as 522/625 right? If they make us buy their external hard drive then I can only imagine what the price will be on those. If it is too high and they want to charge a monthly fee for it then it will probably not cost much more to just buy another 622.

OTA HD is about 19mbps and the highest E* HD is much less. Lets say that each HD stream requires 25mbps throughput x 5 at once = 125mbps. USB2 is 480Mbps so it would barely tax the system. Bring it ON.:hungry:

Maybe I'm taking past experiences too much to heart from PC video capturing (since in those cases, the PC also had to do the CPU intensive mpeg encoding, or were storing uncompressed SD video). Unlike with Dish where they store the already compressed video.

But though the nominal USB2 is 480Mbps, with overhead and other implementation delays, along with issues like seeks, I didn't know how it would work in the real world. Especially with possibly up to 5 streams being read/written at a time, file system fragmentation, file system overhead, etc.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)