Still having DPP44 problems, help????!!!!

FredC

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Nov 15, 2006
Chicago, IL
Hello all. Took the advice I got here to add a 5th receiver to my system. I have a Dish 500, Quad LNB, a 508, 510, and 522 receiver. I will be adding a 625. What the plan was going to be, add a DPP44 using 2 of the 4 feeds from the quad, then feed the 508, 510 and 625 with 1 cable each from the DPP44 leave 2 feeds to the 522. All sounds good so far.

Purchased a DPP44 new from Dish. Got it last nite and tried to hook it up today.
Everything worked before I started, excellant signal strength on all receivers. Before I did anything, I unplugged all the TV's and receivers. I went to the 2 feeds from the LNB I wanted to use, connecting them to ports 1 and 2 on the DPP44 that say " to dish". I then connected the power inserter into switch input 1, and fed the 510 from the other side of the power inserter. I also fed the 508 from port 2. Plugged in the power inserter, got a green light. I left the 522 feeds alone. Ran a check switch from receiver 1 and got nothing. I labeled each line from the LNB 1-4,( although they may not corrispond to the LNB 1-4 connections). Anyway, I switched the feeds around, trying 1 &2, 1&3, and 1 &4 to feed the DPP44. After each switch of feeds, I ran a check switch (with receiver 1 & 2) and got nothing. The 508 & 510 identified the switch as a DPP44, but got absolutely no signal. I rehooked up everything without the DPP44 and each receiver works fine.

Sorry for being longwinded, but I cannot think of a reason why this isnt working. At this point I'm about ready to throw in the towel and not add the 625
icon9.gif
. Is it possible to have a quad LNB thats not a DP ? What would dish charge if I had an installer come out and fix this so I could add a fifth receiver (I have DHPP)? Anyone in Chicago want a look at this?

Any advice would be greatly appriciated. Thanks for your time! Fred

You could check the front of the LNB, if it has the DP logo then it's DP. If not, well then it's a Legacy LNB.

One more thing, the DPP44 switches require longer stinger in the cables. The center conductor needs to be long so it will make contact inside the sat in barrel. From my experiences, the output to the receiver doesn't need a longer stinger.

I could not have given a better answer.

You may have to run Check Switch more than once to get it to recognize everything, and may even have to select SuperDish to get it to run an additional test. However, if your stingers are at least 1/4 inch past the end of the threads, then you may have another issue. The stingers from the receivers are probably long enough since the receivers are recognizing the DPP44.

While in Check Switch, after the test, you can select DETAILS, and it will give you some more info on the LNBF and any issue.

On the stingers....

I bought a DPP44 from one of the above sponsers. Neither the vendor, nor Dish ADVANCED technical support new what the problem was. In fact, when I asked Dish if it needed longer stingers, they said "the DPP44 does not require longer stingers". After playing for 3 or 4 weeks, I got it to work. I also noticed the DP34 works better with longer stingers.

I would put your cables back like they were, more than likely the 2 cables from the Quad were side by side; then run Check Switch again.

I'll give it atry! Thanks for the advice. I checked the LNB (from the ground through binoc's) and all it says is Dishnetwork on it. I'll let you know!

I'm sure sometimes too much.:)
I'll give it atry! Thanks for the advice. I checked the LNB (from the ground through binoc's) and all it says is Dishnetwork on it. I'll let you know!
It looks like you have a Legacy Quad, which will not work with either the DP34 or DPP44.

Here's a couple of pictures I copied from "The DishStore" website at http://www.dishstore.net/index.php?cPath=40
Notice on the back it has a larger D and P to represent DishPro and the DishPro Plus also has a large D & P; both on a black background.

I could not find the backside of a Quad, either Legacy or DishPro, but I suspect the Legacy Quad only has a tag or plate that has Dish Network and then some specs, while the DishPro Quad is similar to the DishPro Twin above.:confused:

Maybe someone can confirm this.

Attachments

• DP-TwinLNB.jpg
    DP-TwinLNB.jpg
    3.2 KB · Views: 181
  • DPP-TwinLNBF.jpg
    DPP-TwinLNBF.jpg
    26.5 KB · Views: 199
Last edited:
It does look like you have a legacy quad, and as stated will not work with the 44. You will have to purchase a DP twin or 2 DP duals to get the job done.

Here is what I found out.
1- It's a legacy quad 2-The receiver I bought on E-Bay is no good 3-All hope is not lost

Dish has worked a deal out for me that, IMO, is great. They a going to exchange the leased receiver I bought on e-bay (I checked the # before I bought it and dish said it was clean, at first) for a 625 lease, but waive the lease fee for 18 months. Since I already purchased a DPP44 from them, they will send a tech out to the house, install a DP Quad, hook up the DPP44 so 5 receivers are working, for NO CHARGE! I think I came out of this little learning adventure smelling like a rose!

I would like to thank all of you for your help and advice!

I don't think you can feed a DP quad LNB into a DP34 or DP44 switch... Perhaps I'm wrong. I've been told that you CAN feed a DPP Twin LNB into a DP34/44, but that is a LIE from the PIT of HELL. It works for a bit, then it freaks out a week-month later. I've seen it about half a dozen times. I always only use DP Twins, DP Duals, or DP Singles to feed DP34/44s.

"I don't think you can feed a DP quad LNB into a DP34 or DP44 switch... "

Believe me, it works. I had a DP Quad feed a DP34 for almost a year and also tried it feeding a DPP44 for over 6 months.

Last edited:
Feeding a DP Quad LNBF into a DP34/DPP44.
See Page 11 at http://www.solidsignal.tv/dishnetwo...des/DISH_Pro_Quad_LNBF_Installation_Guide.pdf

Feeding a DPP Twin LNBF into a DP34.
Can be done with exceptions, one is possibly needing a DPP44 Power Inserter, unless 2 receivers are constantly connected to supply enough power for both the DPP Twin and the DP34.
http://www.solidsignal.tv/dishnetwo...allation_Considerations-DP_Plus_Twin_LNBF.pdf

I believe another option instead of the DP Quad into a DPP44 would be a DP Twin into a DPP44 which will supply his 2 Dual tuners and 2 single tuners, but the DPP44 would then need to feed a DP34 to get the 5th receiver (as long as it was not upgraded to 4 satellites.

Feeding a DP Quad LNBF into a DP34/DPP44.
See Page 11 at http://www.solidsignal.tv/dishnetwo...des/DISH_Pro_Quad_LNBF_Installation_Guide.pdf

Feeding a DPP Twin LNBF into a DP34.
Can be done with exceptions, one is possibly needing a DPP44 Power Inserter, unless 2 receivers are constantly connected to supply enough power for both the DPP Twin and the DP34.
http://www.solidsignal.tv/dishnetwo...allation_Considerations-DP_Plus_Twin_LNBF.pdf

I believe another option instead of the DP Quad into a DPP44 would be a DP Twin into a DPP44 which will supply his 2 Dual tuners and 2 single tuners, but the DPP44 would then need to feed a DP34 to get the 5th receiver (as long as it was not upgraded to 4 satellites.

I believe the part about the quad feeding a DP34/44. Never tried it. But the part about the DPP Twins feeding DP34s is major B.S. I've done it too many times to know that it doesn't work consistently, REGARDLESS of the number of recievers you have hooked up (I've had MANY brand new, THREE tuner systems fail within six weeks of install).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)