Are you experiencing the Pause Bug on the L365 software?

Are you experiencing the "pause" bug in the L3.65 software on the vip622?

• Yes

Votes: 59 57.8%
  • No

Votes: 38 37.3%
  • I had it in L3.63 but not in L365

Votes: 3 2.9%
  • I am experiencing a different unrelated bug

Votes: 2 2.0%

• Total voters

rockymtnhigh

Hardly Normal
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Apr 14, 2006
Normal, IL
Are you experiencing the Pause bug on the L365 software? I am curious to see what percentage of users is experiencing this bug.

If you are experiencing any other bugs, post it in a reply to the poll.

Yes and never have had it 'ever' in any DVR ever made by DISH!
I had no reboots, sound, etc issues with the last version but I have this bug now

Thanks!
Tiger

Yes, but.....

It's flakey, that is some channels have it, some don't. I have done a little expermenting to see if I can cause it/prevent it (for example changing channels with the up/down arrows versus changing channels through the guide) but so far no luck.

If it's something you really want to see the only safe way is to use the skip back button first as suggested elsewhere.

Has the whole "Pause Live TV" feature changed?

The whole "Pause Live TV" feature seems to be working differently than I remember*.

"Live TV' appears to always be being played back from a buffered recording. For example, if I turn on the 622 and watch a few minutes of whatever is on, I can then rewind it to when I began watching WITHOUT ever hitting pause. And then when I hit "view Live TV" it jumps to live TV, but I can still rewind back to when I began watching.

*I'm new the DVRs so maybe it has always worked this way. So please be kind :)

Talon Dancer

TalonDancer said:
The whole "Pause Live TV" feature seems to be working differently than I remember*.

"Live TV' appears to always be being played back from a buffered recording. For example, if I turn on the 622 and watch a few minutes of whatever is on, I can then rewind it to when I began watching WITHOUT ever hitting pause. And then when I hit "view Live TV" it jumps to live TV, but I can still rewind back to when I began watching.

*I'm new the DVRs so maybe it has always worked this way. So please be kind :)

Talon Dancer

Yep, it's always worked that way.
Whatever you are watching gets buffered automatically (I think the buffer holds 1 hour).

jdr01930 said:
Yep, it's always worked that way.
Whatever you are watching gets buffered automatically (I think the buffer holds 1 hour).
Thanks I had just read that in the manual (pg 55) :eek:

So this bug does not keep us for being able to watch the video since we hit pause (i.e. the video is not lost). The 622 simply loses track of where to begin when we hit play. Which requires us to manually rewind back to where had hit pause.

Talon Dancer

TalonDancer said:
Thanks I had just read that in the manual (pg 55) :eek:

So this bug does not keep us for being able to watch the video since we hit pause (i.e. the video is not lost). The 622 simply loses track of where to begin when we hit play. Which requires us to manually rewind back to where had hit pause.

Talon Dancer

Yes, absolutely. There is another easier workaround. Before hitting play, hit the skip back button; you'll be 15 seconds behind, but it will play fine from then on.

I created this poll to get a sense of the percentages of people having this, so the E* folks who are always watching SatelliteGuys will have a stronger sense of numbers. So far the results are what I thought; slightly more than 50% have it, but not always. Kind of like the 50% who had audio drops.

I intend to email results to ceo@dishnetwork.com on Monday or Tuesday once there are lots of responses, i.e., a higher N.

rockymtnhigh said:
Yes, absolutely. There is another easier workaround. Before hitting play, hit the skip back button; you'll be 15 seconds behind, but it will play fine from then on.

I created this poll to get a sense of the percentages of people having this, so the E* folks who are always watching SatelliteGuys will have a stronger sense of numbers. So far the results are what I thought; slightly more than 50% have it, but not always. Kind of like the 50% who had audio drops.

I intend to email results to ceo@dishnetwork.com on Monday or Tuesday once there are lots of responses, i.e., a higher N.
That's one reason I love this site! Power to the people! Satelliteguys forever!

Oh by the way: They need to fix the lower signals issue too. It seems like since L363 people started complaining about that. It also seems that it is related to a 3rd satellite input on 622. People with D1000 have the problems on 129. Others have it on 61.5. So that means the receiver has problems with signal processing on the 3rd sat input. Mine reads lets say 77% on TP11 on 129, then if it drops to 76 or below it jumps down to 62. Once the signal gets a little stronger (129 wobble) it jumps to 76-77 from there. This sux, because if it's overcast, or rainy, the signals will be a little lower anyways. So I will have LOS sooner than it actually would be, bcause the 622 cheats me out of about 15% of signal strength.

Last edited:
With 3.63 I lost my sound out of the HDMI, and now with 3.65 I have lost sound AND VIDEO!!!. This sucks because I have had no problems since I got the 622 receiver in May.

As a workaround, I've found that the back button (two left triangles) works better than the skip back button (bent arrow) before un-pausing. Seems to result in resuming much closer to where you left off.

Also, I've noticed that the problem is intermittent. For a while today it stopped happening. I was so surprised to see it go away that I check the version number to see if I had L366. Now its back.:(

So far the percentages are even higher on this bug than the audio drops. But I hope we get some more responses to increase the "n" to make an even stronger case to E* about this minor, but irritating bug. But I sure am glad that my machine no longer seems to have a mind of its own, shutting down at its own whim. :D

This is a VERY important bug, and Dish needs to see it that way. It fundamentally breaks one of the core DVR functions, i.e. being able to pause live TV. If I pause the TV and then when hitting play it goes to live tv again, essentially I have done nothing, I should have just left it playing and then rewound when I returned. It is now like a "improved Mute", it not only mutes the sound but the picture as well! :0

This definitely needs to be fixed.

Even Worse!!! My wife is complaining about this bug now, as she used the pause function all the time when kids interrupt, the phone rings etc.

Dish Beware! I am fairly forgiving and understand software cycles and how bugs sometimes slip in. My wife is far less forgiving, and if it is broken in her mind she is not happy. This is expensive technology, and if the "Finance Committee" is not happy, well watch out!

:)

Please fix it soon.

Jolard said:
This is a VERY important bug, and Dish needs to see it that way. It fundamentally breaks one of the core DVR functions, i.e. being able to pause live TV. If I pause the TV and then when hitting play it goes to live tv again, essentially I have done nothing, I should have just left it playing and then rewound when I returned. It is now like a "improved Mute", it not only mutes the sound but the picture as well! :0

This definitely needs to be fixed.

I agree it has to be fixed; my statement was mostly just that it was minor in the sense that my 622 is still functioning, and not rebooting at will. That was REALLY bad. And at least the rewind button serves as a workaround.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)