Are you ready for 5G? Well, Apple is not!

TheForce

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Pub Member / Supporter
Oct 13, 2003
Jacksonville, FL, Earth
At least not until possible release of new iphones in 2020.

While the roll out of 5G is expected to hit in 2019, Apple is not going to be ready for it next year according to a new Bloomberg report released this morning.

It is likely that Samsung will be the first to offer the 5G technology being pushed now by Qualcom. There remains a dispute between Qualcom and Apple but Apple may have other sources for the 5G technology. They also believe the roll out will not be as trouble free as being claimed, initially.

For many of us who just upgraded to the Xs and Xr a two year wait for Apple implementation is not too hard to swallow. But we all will want to switch to 5G when it is ready as it is claimed to be the biggest game changer in wireless since the introduction of LTE. Some claim it will replace your wired cable modems in the home for speed and reliability and compete for cost. 10 times faster and hopefully a fraction of the cost. I think we all could celebrate that innovation for the coming decade.

More:
Bloomberg - Are you a robot?

It is my understanding that the absolute final specifications have not been released.

And I think 5G will mean way more for fixed wireless than for cell phones.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

Reactions: tigerfan33
Good reason for requesting an extension.

ATT has a 5G millimeter test going on in downtown Broken Arrow. I would love to see them expand it to the rest of the City and compete with Cox for home broadband service. Perhaps I could also actually get a decent ATT signal in my house and not have to rely on WiFi Calling.

Pie in the sky. Some metropolian areas may benefit but considering half the country still doesn't have sustainable broadband after all these years, contrary to all the promises made, don't expect 5G to be the answer to all your prayers starting next year. It took Verizon 15 years (Feb 2017) to get DSL going in my location (eastern PA) so I won't hold my breath.

5G won't be all over because it will require way too many cell antennas. It will be in the cities and in the rural areas LTE will still be the backup go to and really remote areas will hopefully have 3G.

Good discussion on MacBreak Weekly today. The expectation that the 1st and 2nd generation silicon radios will probably be power-hungry and impact battery life. Its not going to hurt Apple much to not have those 5G chips in their iPhones until 5G is more widely available and real-world experience has been logged. So thanks, Samsung, for willing to take a chance on the new Tech.

Qualcomm also announced the Snapdragon 855 CPU Tuesday which will help digest all that 5G data screaming into the new phones. Qualcomm plots out 5G future: Everything from its Snapdragon Tech Summit

The expectation that the 1st and 2nd generation silicon radios will probably be power-hungry and impact battery life.
The expectation of whom?

Perhaps the apologists are spinning up the plausible excuse engine after several convincing and unmatched technological advances from the competition.

Remember the first LTE phones? They got maybe 4-5 hours of battery life when on LTE.

Remember the first LTE phones? They got maybe 4-5 hours of battery life when on LTE.
I've heard this argument at least twice and I would suggest that everyone consider that the technology may already be there to solve that problem based one what was learned from LTE (unless hot radios are required as the network is built out).

OTOH, if Apple is going to continue their feud with Qualcomm, they may or may not have access to that technology.

I agree that new developments in tech may mitigate the high load of these new 5G phones.

However, it is very important to note that Qualcomm is not the only game in town for 5G. Apple will be using intel chips, not Qualcomm for it's 2020 introduction of 5G. Back in July a blogger made a big blunder stating that Apple was dropping intel 5G chips but they were mistaken. Apple is dropping the wifi / Blue tooth intel; chip, not it's 5G chip. I have heard no developments in the legal spat between Apple and Qualcomm so I believe, for now, we will see intel in iphone. The Israeli blogger made a big technical blunder assuming that the intel's Sunny Peak chip was their 5G modem when in fact it was not. It was their wifi and BT radio.

Intel completed their first modem test with Huawaei on Wednesday. There's probably a good distance between a briefcase-sized test module and a working phone.

The more I read, the more it seems obvious that phones are not where 5G will be living.

I would add that the Moto Z3 that has been shipping for a while now (and only to Verizon subscribers) apparently was doing 5G (surely with software bits not publicly available) at the recent Qualcomm-sponsored event in Hawaii so Qualcomm would appear to be ready to rock while Intel is demonstrating proof-of-5G-concept stand-alone modems (perhaps what the practical use case for 5G will be anyway).

Reactions: navychop
While I believe 5G as a new paradigm shift on bandwidth for wireless, like we had when we went from 3G to LTE 4G, I think that with all the hype of what it will do is being oversold and will under deliver. Mainly because it will not work in deep rural regions of the country. There is little publicity on that fact. For most, LTE will continue to be the communications tech for the consumer masses nation wide. Where the technology will be needed is for the self driving cars in the cities that will really tax the 4G pipes. 5G will keep the self driving cars movement progressing.

5G will presumably work wherever it is deployed. Will they deploy 4G instead of 5G?

I think the bigger issue is making a use case for relatively fat pipes (>10Mbps?) on mobile devices.

mm wave 5G for cell phones will apparently work very well.

As long as you are standing in the shadow of the tower.

I read one article that said think of it like wifi where you have access to all your neighbors' routers in the town you live in. So when you travel from one to another you can have wifi speed and access over a wide area, but leave town and there are no more free routers so you are back on LTE.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)