Are You Vooming Again On Dish Yet?

Tvlman

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 29, 2004
Surf City.CA
Just got my new satellite hookup and I'm finally VOOMING again, this time on DISH. Can't wait for all the VOOM Originals to be added. Thanks Charlies.
Location: Southern California and the signal is great! Also using OTA for local HD channels. Install went great and was very professional. They even cut some limbs back from my roof so I could get a better signal. Welcome back to all other re-Voomers.

I'm back, too.

Been re-voOmed since 5/8. So far, so good. I was starting to suffer from HD movie withdrawal. Still getting used to the 811, but I think I'm really gonna like it -- already diggin' the versatile Favorites lists. I only get the HD channels, but that's all I really want. And at $19.99/month for fifteen HD channels, I'd call it a bargain -- still getting my seven networks OTA (with PG info on the 811 -- nice.).

Life is good as a DishVoomer so far. :D

To me Voom was the 10 premium channels, worldsport, Rush, Monsters and Rave. The rest I could care less about. When they get the missing 9 channels Im there. But I dont think it will happen for years.

vurbano said:
To me Voom was the 10 premium channels, worldsport, Rush, Monsters and Rave. The rest I could care less about. When they get the missing 9 channels Im there. But I dont think it will happen for years.

Even though Dish is only carrying 2 of the original 10 Voom Movie channels (Guy TV and Majestic) it looks like the format has changed. Instead of each channel only playing two repeating movies a day, theay each are showing 4 to 6 movies a day and it looks like the movies are a mix of all the 10 Voom Movie channels.

Bottom line is these 2 movie channels are acting more like 4-6 movie channles from the old Voom 21 (Nice!!!!) It also looks like RUSh will be carring Soccer games starting the end of May!!!

I'll stick with cable, "two" dual tuner hd recorders for $7 a month and no massive up front fee's or two year commit.
Really, E* has nerve to ask a two year commit, $250 up front for a recorder, and $90+ monthly service for their all package.
Feels like buying a used car from sleazey sales person.
At those up front costs, hard ware limits and monthly fees, that 942 should not be $250. It should be free.

I must pass!

Hopefully I will be Vooming again today (as long as they don't cancel my install I should be). I got my 942 late last week, and I was using the ability to pause, rewind and fast forward on live TV yesterday.

randym431 said:
I'll stick with cable, "two" dual tuner hd recorders for $7 a month and no massive up front fee's or two year commit.
Really, E* has nerve to ask a two year commit, $250 up front for a recorder, and $90+ monthly service for their all package.
At those up front costs, hard ware limits and monthly fees, that 942 should not be $250. It should be free.

I must pass!

That's more or less the situation I'm in right now. After today I'll know for sure if my condo board will allow satellite dishes, but even if they do, I still look at it the same way you do. I'm paying adelphia 80/mo for everything including a dual tuner HD DVR. The HD selection is pretty slim with only 13 channels, but it's still cheaper than dish, has no contract, and cost me all of 9.95 for installation.

I may end up with Dish eventually, but I intend to wait awhile and stay with cable for the time being. The PQ is good, and the HD DVR works well. Besides, I would miss Wealth TV that's on cable (insert sarcasm here). That channel might have a few programs worth watching, but most are SD upconverts.

randym431 said:

I must pass!

They only require a 1 year comitment, not a 2 year comitment. I'm not quite sure how to arrive that the 942 should cost absolutely nothing. I don't see how Dish could offer it for no up-front fees and no monthly fees. It is an expensive piece of hardware. The way I look at it, if I was to buy a 942, it would cost me a lot more than $250.00, and I don't have any re-curring monthly fees for the DVR this way, so it is like I own it. I get to keep it as long as I have the service, and if I don't have the service any more, it doesn't do me any good anyway. Also, I prefer to lease because if there is a change that makes the receiver obsolete (like they changing over to MPEG4), they would have to at least swap out leased equipment. And, if somehow they didn't, at least I'd only be out the $250.00 instead of the full price of a new 942.

Well, a 942 arrived a short while ago; installation is scheduled for this Thursday with Dish Direct. Everything is pre-wired, to include separate OTA feeds, so installation should be a cakewalk. Anyway, I committed to 12 months of programming because:

1. VOOM 10
2. VOOM 11 (coming soon)
3. Better programming deal than E* or Adelphia (see 1 and 2)
4. No HD worth mentioning on D* or Adelphia (aka Comcast) 'till 2006
5. Verizon FTTP/FiOS still 12-24 months away (for me)
6. Two HD receivers, one HD DVR rental (didn't blow $1000+ on MPEG2 hardware)
7. Additional programming discounts
8. Peace of mind. Really! I'm locked into a 12 month commitment so I'll just sit back, enjoy VOOM, and evaluate my options next year.

My Ebay Dish 811 Should Be In My Hands By Friday. I Have To Keep D* For Another 6 Months Due To A New D*HD Receiver I Got 6 Months Ago. Hopefully Friday Night I Will Be Firing Up My Voom 18" 61.5 Dish & I Will Be Vooming Again.

Vooming? I really don't think people are "Vooming" on Dish. They're watching some of the exclusive Voom channels. Voom was a satellite company that carried a whole range of HD channels, including Starz east and West, TNT, and so much more (all for about $80 per month). Don't fool yourself. You're not Vooming. You're "Dishing" and watching some of the Voom channels.

I've been "vooming" on E* for one week. The only channels that I really miss from VOOM DBS are WorldSportsHD and CinemaxHD. But my 942 make it up :cool:

keno said:
Vooming? I really don't think people are "Vooming" on Dish. They're watching some of the exclusive Voom channels. Voom was a satellite company that carried a whole range of HD channels, including Starz east and West, TNT, and so much more (all for about $80 per month). Don't fool yourself. You're not Vooming. You're "Dishing" and watching some of the Voom channels.
And you should thank CVC for eating so much of the cost of those premium channels, to the point where the board HAD to pull the plug. E* isn't going to make that mistake.

keno said:

Thank You for the education, I thought is was still watching Voom. :eek:

Just got DISH installed today...not happy about the 2nd dish stuck to the peak of my roof :mad: but I've got my MONSTERS HD back (and it's now in widescreen format) :) so I'm a happy camper...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)