Arghh! To switch or not? That is the question

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

lparsons21

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 17, 2009
Herrin, IL 62948
I'll be moving into my new home in a couple weeks, assuming all the stuff I'm getting done and delivered finishes out in time. And with that move, a couple of things stuck their head up concerning TV and Internet.

Currently on a 2-year lock in deal. Current bill is about $105 for T200, HBO, SHO, H3, Wireless Joey. That will rise to $112 with the addition of another Joey. Plus the internet bill of $80 which is due to come off promo in the fall, that will rise to $99.

So with Dish + Internet current bill is $185/month and will rise to $192 if I keep things the same.

OTOH, Mediacom is offering Cable TV, highest package with all Premiums and same 100/10 internet for about $130/month with all taxes and fees figured in. Using a Pace Tivo box and minis. Deal goes up $20/month each year for 3 additional years. No contract.

$62/month is a lot of money to leave on the table! But the downsides with the Mediacom deal is that the Tivo only has 6 tuners to share. I've never used more than 8 at a time on the H3, so I suppose I could twiddle scheduling to fit that limit. Another downside is that I'm very far behind watching recordings and would lose all of those if I switch.

I think I'm going to lose some beauty sleep cogitating this... :)

I'm a penny pinching miser now. My TiVos have paid for themselves now and it's hard to consider paying for separate services anymore, at least until 4k channels become more of an issue.

If the unwatched stuff is available on the networks websites with authenticated streaming or thru Hulu or Netflix you could catch up that way and still get the savings from switching.

Some will be available through the various streaming services. I sub to Hulu, Netflix and Amazon Prime. I'll have to look them over to see what I can find on their services.

As to how important they are, well that's a very good question and one I've been trying to ignore as my HD fills up!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I thought you left Medicom before because of PQ problems that they wouldn't fix. Can you check out the PQ before deciding which way to hit at the new digs?

Sent from my iPhone using the SatelliteGuys app!

The PQ issues were caused by old equipment in my current neighborhood. The new house in the new subdivision has all new equipment. I have talked to a friend of mine that lives in the subdivision that just got his Mediacom installation done and he has indicated that he has seen no issues.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Mediacom came out and did a 'serviceability' check and found I'm good to go with Mediacom internet. Installation is set for the 25th of March. Oddly they want to install for internet only and then make a pitch for whatever deal they can talk me into. I had expected when I called to set the move in place that they would make a pitch then.

Since the various 'deals' they offer come and go frequently, it will be interesting to see what they offer. I'm also set for a Dish move, so I think I'll end up staying with Dish, either as it is now, or some combo that could make sense.

If you have so much programming recorded that you have not watched. Cut back on Netflix, Hulu and a lower Dish package and watch recordings until your HD is empty. Then subscribe to that which you miss the most.

I have the Welcome pack and movie pack ($5) and still have 150 movies on one HD and over 200 hours of 1 hour shows on another HD. I mostly watch the 3 networks, movies and American Pickers.

Reactions: pattykay

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts