As always, it's about whose Ox is gored (1 Viewer)

Forward

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Sep 22, 2003
I was distressed to hear on the news this morning as I drove to work that Echostar had dropped the Viacom channels in a pricing dispute. But to be honest, I didn't know what channels they were. This board informed me that they are MTV, MTV2, VH1, VH1 Classics, Comedy Central, BET, NICK (East & West), Nick Games and Sports, Noggin, MTV Español and the CBS O&O Affiliates.

Apart from watching "The Daily Show" occasionally on Comedy Central, in six years of subscribing to Dish I doubt I have watched an hour on all the other channels combined! But I HAVE been paying for them. So if you asked me what I'd pay to get these channels back, the answer, obviously, is very little. So from my personal perspective I guess I hope Dish holds its ground as long as it takes.

But I'd feel very differently if it were the ESPN channels we lost, or the news channels.

It's a great argument for a la carte service, or at least unbundling.

sdc

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Dec 14, 2003
Forward said:
I was distressed to hear on the news this morning as I drove to work that Echostar had dropped the Viacom channels in a pricing dispute. But to be honest, I didn't know what channels they were. This board informed me that they are MTV, MTV2, VH1, VH1 Classics, Comedy Central, BET, NICK (East & West), Nick Games and Sports, Noggin, MTV Español and the CBS O&O Affiliates.

Apart from watching "The Daily Show" occasionally on Comedy Central, in six years of subscribing to Dish I doubt I have watched an hour on all the other channels combined! But I HAVE been paying for them. So if you asked me what I'd pay to get these channels back, the answer, obviously, is very little. So from my personal perspective I guess I hope Dish holds its ground as long as it takes.

But I'd feel very differently if it were the ESPN channels we lost, or the news channels.

It's a great argument for a la carte service, or at least unbundling.

Well a lot of people do watch these stations. Especially those with kids. I don't really feel like paying for Lifetime, ESPN, News channels, CSPANs, and all 1000 shopping network's for lazy people.

Forward

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Sep 22, 2003
sdc said:
Well a lot of people do watch these stations. Especially those with kids. I don't really feel like paying for Lifetime, ESPN, News channels, CSPANs, and all 1000 shopping network's for lazy people.

I think you miss my point. Just as the Viacom channels hold virtually no interest to me, some of the channels I watch hold no interest to you. It is my hope that eventually we will be able to buy packages more specifically tailored to our interests.

Petemc11

SatelliteGuys Family
Dec 2, 2003
What E* is doing is smart.If they pay Viacom what they want,next ABC,Disney,ESPN will raise their rates 40% or more,same with Time/Warner,etc,etc.Soon our sat bill would be double what it is now.I hope Charlie sticks to his guns.In the mean time,you guys with kids,READ TO THEM!!! ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Latest posts