As always, it's about whose Ox is gored

Forward

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Sep 22, 2003
I was distressed to hear on the news this morning as I drove to work that Echostar had dropped the Viacom channels in a pricing dispute. But to be honest, I didn't know what channels they were. This board informed me that they are MTV, MTV2, VH1, VH1 Classics, Comedy Central, BET, NICK (East & West), Nick Games and Sports, Noggin, MTV Español and the CBS O&O Affiliates.

Apart from watching "The Daily Show" occasionally on Comedy Central, in six years of subscribing to Dish I doubt I have watched an hour on all the other channels combined! But I HAVE been paying for them. So if you asked me what I'd pay to get these channels back, the answer, obviously, is very little. So from my personal perspective I guess I hope Dish holds its ground as long as it takes.

But I'd feel very differently if it were the ESPN channels we lost, or the news channels.

It's a great argument for a la carte service, or at least unbundling.

Forward said:
I was distressed to hear on the news this morning as I drove to work that Echostar had dropped the Viacom channels in a pricing dispute. But to be honest, I didn't know what channels they were. This board informed me that they are MTV, MTV2, VH1, VH1 Classics, Comedy Central, BET, NICK (East & West), Nick Games and Sports, Noggin, MTV Español and the CBS O&O Affiliates.

Apart from watching "The Daily Show" occasionally on Comedy Central, in six years of subscribing to Dish I doubt I have watched an hour on all the other channels combined! But I HAVE been paying for them. So if you asked me what I'd pay to get these channels back, the answer, obviously, is very little. So from my personal perspective I guess I hope Dish holds its ground as long as it takes.

But I'd feel very differently if it were the ESPN channels we lost, or the news channels.

It's a great argument for a la carte service, or at least unbundling.

Well a lot of people do watch these stations. Especially those with kids. I don't really feel like paying for Lifetime, ESPN, News channels, CSPANs, and all 1000 shopping network's for lazy people.

sdc said:
Well a lot of people do watch these stations. Especially those with kids. I don't really feel like paying for Lifetime, ESPN, News channels, CSPANs, and all 1000 shopping network's for lazy people.

I think you miss my point. Just as the Viacom channels hold virtually no interest to me, some of the channels I watch hold no interest to you. It is my hope that eventually we will be able to buy packages more specifically tailored to our interests.

What E* is doing is smart.If they pay Viacom what they want,next ABC,Disney,ESPN will raise their rates 40% or more,same with Time/Warner,etc,etc.Soon our sat bill would be double what it is now.I hope Charlie sticks to his guns.In the mean time,you guys with kids,READ TO THEM!!! ;)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)