As expected, Cubs beat the White Sox to the punch to talk to Theo Epstein

salsadancer7

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Jun 1, 2004
South Florida
I had already heard rumors that the White Sox were interested in Theo. But as soon as that was public, I knew the Cubs were not too far behind.

Boston Red Sox general manager Theo Epstein has been the sizzling hot stove candidate for a GM opening with the Chicago Cubs, and the Cubs made the next step in pursuing him Tuesday night, asking the Red Sox for permission to talk with Epstein, according to the Boston Globe.

Meetings to discuss the Cubs' request took place Tuesday at Fenway Park, the Globe reports.

Epstein is still under contract with the Red Sox, which means the club can refuse the request, or allow it with the condition that they receive some sort of compensation in return.

Contacted by phone Tuesday night by ESPNBoston.com, Red Sox CEO Larry Lucchino refused comment.

A Red Sox official, asked about the likelihood of Epstein leaving, told ESPNBoston.com's Gordon Edes: "All I can tell you is (Epstein) is working with the same vigor and passion to make the Red Sox better. I realize that sounds like a company line, but it is the truth.''

Asked about the report, a Cubs spokesman declined to comment.

Cubs chairman Tom Ricketts was asked by Fox Business Network on Monday if Epstein would be coming to Chicago.

"I don't know; there's a lot of good candidates out there," he said. "We're going to talk to a handful of them and I'm sure we'll come up with the right fit for the team. Ultimately it will be the decision of myself and my family. Obviously we didn't get it done on the field this year. It was a disappointing season for everyone, but, we're going to get some new leadership."

Epstein, who has won two World Series with the Red Sox, has one year remaining on his contract and the team has not said that he will get an extension. In fact, a major league source told Edes that it's 50-50 that Epstein would leave for the right situation.

A source close to Epstein told ESPN MLB analyst Jim Bowden that Epstein was open to the possibility of taking over the Angels or Cubs if "president" were added to his GM title.

Chicago Cubs ask Boston Red Sox for permission to talk to Theo Epstein, report says - ESPN Chicago

I heard this too .... makes me think that the ChiSox are not interested.

I would like to see the Cubs with a GM and Manager that knows whats going on.

I had heard that Francona could go as a package with Theo.

I heard this too .... makes me think that the ChiSox are not interested.

I would like to see the Cubs with a GM and Manager that knows whats going on.

I had heard that Francona could go as a package with Theo.

I heard that as well.

We shall see. IF the Red Sox allow Epstein to interview with anyone, then they wanted to get rid of both and they have their "fall guys".

I listened to Silvy & Waddle today (XM 210) and have read both Chicago papers online and have not seen nor heard any mention of the White Sox having any interest in Epstein. Even though it's a dumb move, I think the Sox are going on the cheap for a manager. & it will probably be Dave Martinez.

Jimbo said:
Good move for the Lovable Cubs, provided they bring in a capable manager (Franconna anyone ?) ....
And empty the roster and start over.

Could be... I had also heard that they might have interest in LaRussa since his contract either expires or has an option.

Could be... I had also heard that they might have interest in LaRussa since his contract either expires or has an option.

I find that VERY interesting ....

Think about it, Theo in Chicago, brings in a veteran LaRussa, who now brings a FA Pujouls (sp) with him !

This is something that Mark Cuban would definitely try to do.

Jimbo said:
I find that VERY interesting ....

Think about it, Theo in Chicago, brings in a veteran LaRussa, who now brings a FA Pujouls (sp) with him !

This is something that Mark Cuban would definitely try to do.

Yep.

I do not know if true, but I had heard in Boston he was sometimes "tied" to what he wanted to do with the roster, sometimes signing guys he did not think fit or guys that just not as good as advertised. I am wonder, with all the sh***y years at "The Friendly Confines"...will they give gime somewhat free reins?

Never believe anything you hear when someone exits the Red Sox, it's cover your own ass for everyone involved, you will never get the truth.

I believe he had more control than what you think. He gets a lot of credit for 2004 and 2007, however he was not solely involved in those. In 2004 the core that won that WS was already in tact. He did make the Nomar trade and he was responsible for getting Shilling to Boston,that was a catalyst for the title. In 2007 he was in a gorilla suit when the Beckett/Lowell trade was made.

Hart5150 said:
Never believe anything you hear when someone exits the Red Sox, it's cover your own ass for everyone involved, you will never get the truth.

I believe he had more control than what you think. He gets a lot of credit for 2004 and 2007, however he was not solely involved in those. In 2004 the core that won that WS was already in tact. He did make the Nomar trade and he was responsible for getting Shilling to Boston,that was a catalyst for the title. In 2007 he was in a gorilla suit when the Beckett/Lowell trade was made.

Didn't hear it from a someone that use to be in the organization. More like someone that knows a few things.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts