As of today, I'm now a former E* Customer

"...There's no way that DBS will be able to match what cable can do for OnDemand programming...."

Of course they can- via IPTV. When the ViP series hooks up to your broadband internet connection, you'll be able to get what you want. The catalog for Dish and DirecTV will likely be as large as for cable. And ITVN has shown that using IPTV technology you can get real time SD of high quality today. If your broadband is not fast enough and you order an HD program, you may have to wait for that download to complete. Is cable providing HD on demand now?

How much downstream bandwidth are you going to need to download a HD program, more then what's available to the majority of folks now?

Sorry, OnDemand means I want to watch it now, not request it now and come back in a couple of hours and watch it. Yea, for SD it might be OK, assuming that you have something faster then a 768Kbps DSL connection, but for HD viewers it isn't going to fly.

Thanks on the HD on demand from cable.

HD is still a minority, but they are the ones most likely to order something in such a fashion. So even a 3-6 Mbps broadband connection will not "real time" a 19.4 Mbps HD signal- or even one at 12. So I guess for the foreseeable future, cable wins this one.

I used to live up in Sparkman's neighborhood and our Comcast system was fairly good. They had already mirrored analog channels on digitial so if you had a digital STB the PQ was equal to whay DBS was providing. And as he mentioned the OnDemand was good and getting better. There's no way that DBS will be able to match what cable can do for OnDemand programming. As has been said many times when talking about cable YMMV.

Rad buddy, didn't know you moved away. I know you bounced between Comcast, E* & D* up here. What's your deal down there?

HD is still a minority, but they are the ones most likely to order something in such a fashion.
I've had an HDTV since 2002 and many cable and satellite providers are still setting the HD receiver to 480p and connecting them to a 1080p digital set using component cables. Yep, and just last week my parents were showing me their new Samsung Plasma and, after I almost barfed, I set the box to output 1080i (it was set to 480p) and hooked it up using HDMI. I set it on DiscoveryHD and "Wow" was all I heard. The funny story is I did the exact same thing to their Samsung LCD when I was visiting last year.:eek:

Sorry, OnDemand means I want to watch it now, not request it now and come back in a couple of hours and watch it. Yea, for SD it might be OK, assuming that you have something faster then a 768Kbps DSL connection, but for HD viewers it isn't going to fly.
Remember, Dish tried to call their DVR functionality "Video On Demand" for sometime.... When a potential cable customer inquired with Dish if they've got "on demand" programming, Dish would answer "yes". Problem is, their definition of 'on demand' was NOT what the cable customer was used to or expecting. Does Dish still call DVR'ing "Video On Demand" ??

With cable "on demand", you do have to wait before the movie or show starts ... sometimes up to 10 seconds. As you say, "on demand" does not mean pick a movie and come back in 2-3 or more hours to watch it. Even the current "My Entertainment" option stinks..... At least let me choose the type of movies they download. Does everyone get the same (4) choices ??

That all said, we rarely used the 'on demand' stuff with cable and have never used the "My Entertainment" option with Dish. I guess having a Netflix or Blockbuster membership precludes the need. I'm all about saving money.... Let me opt-out of "My Entertainment" for a reduction in my bill. :D

I am looking forward to the DishOnline stuff but then again, maybe I'm expecting too much.

Two people at work are just having a hard time believing me when I tell them they need to upgrade their cable box to HD to get HD on their new HDTVs. They keep saying- "No, I already have a digital cable box." And then don't like the idea of paying more for HD programming. And new cables? "What's the matter with what I have now?" And on at least one occasion, after connecting component in place of composite- "I don't see any difference." Duh, the whole screen is filled now, and is sharper- "Wasn't it that way before?"

So yes, most of us here can sing the same tune. But we're the ones pushing the HD revolution, one neophyte at a time.

I had Comcast while in Ontario, Kalifornia back seven years ago. Their customer service was the worst on the planet and their staff was trained for maximum arrogance and distain for the customer.

I had Charter cable in Rancho Cucamonga, Kalifornia for 30 days. Crappy SD picture quality, soft HD compared to Dish, only a handful of HD channels, slow piece of sh*t HD-DVR by Scientific-Atlanta, ugly channel guide and arrogant customer service reps; and, the after-new-sub-special-pricing-ends cost was going to be nearly $30/month more than Dish. Cable prices have risen at triple the rate of inflation over the past ten years.

Maybe you'll have a better experience with Comcast in your area -- cable does vary by locale and a few cities actually do have very good cable content and service.

I'm not pleased with the Dish increase in cost for Platinum, but even with the rise Dish is a far bretter option for me. The 622 is incredible compared to the SA unit I had with Chater.

I've had an HDTV since 2002 and many cable and satellite providers are still setting the HD receiver to 480p and connecting them to a 1080p digital set using component cables. Yep, and just last week my parents were showing me their new Samsung Plasma and, after I almost barfed, I set the box to output 1080i (it was set to 480p) and hooked it up using HDMI. I set it on DiscoveryHD and "Wow" was all I heard. The funny story is I did the exact same thing to their Samsung LCD when I was visiting last year.:eek:
I don't mind them using component, even at home I use component as I like color saturation more on ananlog output then digital output ( I do have DVI input). I do agree with you for them not setting 622 on 1080i though.

In the old days, satellite was the place to go as cable just plain sucked everywhere. Now in many locales, Cable is the one to beat. Dish has fallen behind on many issues. But having said that, I want Dish to get better because without the Satellite companies, cable would still be the crap provider it was 10 years ago. As consumers we need BOTH providers to prosper to keep each other "honest" so to speak.
Personally, I can't believe how far out local TWC has come as far as content and picture quality since I went with Dish in 1998. It's just light years ahead of what they offered then. And for the next two years, TWC is at least $30 dollars a month cheaper providing me internet, cable and telephone than what I was paying for all three when Dish was the main supplier of my television viewing.

Great points minnow...I'm not sure what everyone is paying for their E* service, but I've had no problem asking for, and receiving, programming discounts from Dish Network. I would gladly pay a premium to keep E* because of their 622, VOOM HD, and superior picture quility. Ok, now that superior picture quality is a thing of the past...and the local Cable Co. is offering their digital cable w/HBO, Showtime, and Starz for $29.95 for 12 months, they why would E* expect to retain me as a customer without matching the offer being made by Cable which, in my opinion, is 12 months of DishHD Platinum for $49.99? While I'm not cable fan, I was very surprised how much the local cable company's offerings have improved the past couple of years: On Demand was pretty slick, and they are prepared to offering significant saving on video, broadband, voice or all three.

I'm gonna go sit on my big brown leather couch, fart, turn on the big screen TV, get drunk with a few beers, and watch a few jackasses run across the screen and beat each other up over a piece of inflated plastic.

Oh yeah, I'm going to pay $140 and take it in the rear with no vaseline either! EVERY MONTH! SWEEEEET!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts