ASI output on a DSR920/DSR922 - possible?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

trinidex

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 16, 2004
Hi guys.

Is it possible to get an ASI output from a DSR920/922? Is a "mod" possible, one that can be added?

Thanks!

Interesting question. How does the R5000HD mod capture and manipulate the streamed content? What means were you considering using to do so? I read that VLC *may* be ASI I/O compliant under Linux using a plugin written for another purpose.
I dont know of any major proliforation of 4DTV IRD internals information. They seem to keep that info well guarded. If you come up with something that would be a viable low risk project, by all means share it. I say low risk because many 4D owners would be reluctant to delve too deeply into their expensive STBs.

Motorola/GI intended that way..................:rolleyes:

Here's a thread that references the Nextcom addon unit -
http://www.satelliteguys.us/c-band-satellite-discussion/184498-time-shift-dsr922.html

If you REALLY want a universal project to pursue, find a means to severe the TS bound for the Hard drive on a DP5XX or TIVO based DTV PVRs and substitute a captured TS from a 4D, DVB STB, or any other TS compliant source in it's place.
I'm sure somebody out there has the skillset to pull this off. :)

Interesting question. How does the R5000HD mod capture and manipulate the streamed content? What means were you considering using to do so? I read that VLC *may* be ASI I/O compliant under Linux using a plugin written for another purpose.
I dont know of any major proliforation of 4DTV IRD internals information. They seem to keep that info well guarded. If you come up with something that would be a viable low risk project, by all means share it. I say low risk because many 4D owners would be reluctant to delve too deeply into their expensive STBs.

Motorola/GI intended that way..................:rolleyes:

Here's a thread that references the Nextcom addon unit -
http://www.satelliteguys.us/c-band-satellite-discussion/184498-time-shift-dsr922.html

AH! the R5000-HD - interesting.
Reading their site, it looks like they capture the Transport Stream.

In theory, I could pass the TS through a converter to produce the ASI feed I need.

I'll hit the guys up who make the R5000-HD to see if they are prepared to divulge details!

Thanks!:)

Good luck with that divulging thing. I suspect they would guard their technical advantages and information for the 4D like it was the goose that lats the golden egg.
As I understand it, they can outfit this enhancement to a number of IRDs, not just the DSRs. It's an interesting and useful addition no doubt, but the last I looked the price was out of line for the function AFAIC.
If you are able to gleen any specs or other lil tidbits of useful info from them be sure to come back and SHARE! Too little is known about the secrets of the 4D. I suspect there are a number of things that could be done to improve the design/function if enough info was available for public development.

Last edited:
Good luck with that divulging thing. I suspect they would guard their technical advantages and information for the 4D like it was the goose that lats the golden egg.
As I understand it, they can outfit this enhancement to a number of IRDs, not just the DSRs. It's an interesting and useful addition no doubt, but the last I looked the price was out of line for the function AFAIC.
If you are able to gleen any specs or other lil tidbits of useful info from them be sure to come back and SHARE! Too little is known about the secrets of the 4D. I suspect there are a number of things that could be done to improve the design/function if enough info was available for public development.

Quite right too!

They confirmed that their solution produces a ISO compliant Transport Stream, but that I'd need to do the conversion to ASI - now that ain't hard, doing it on the fly is the problem.

They have firewire to ASI adapters. If it's fixed key, you can use a commercial IRD like a DSR-4402X, DSR-4500X, or a DSR-4410, which is my favorite model. You can pick them up on ebay.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)